Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2015
This book reminded me of the Mills and Boon doctor and nurse romances my mum used to read. I didn’t realise that it was actually two separate stories, both featuring the same characters and although the second story picks up around 6 months after the first one ends, the book ends up being an overall story that is more than the sum of its parts.

Kyla and Evanna are nurses working in an island practice on the Scottish island of Glenmore. Kyla’s brother Logan is one of the doctors and the book commences with the new doctor, Ethan, arriving on the ferry to take up a role in the practice.

Throughout both stories we get to know not only the main characters but the people who live on the island and become involved in their stories and struggles. Everyone on the island knows everyone else and looks out for one another. This gave a very friendly “vibe” and made the story awfully cheerful, but in reality I am sure there would be at least some small element of conflict between some islanders. Somewhat sanitised Doc Martin, in that respect.

Each story is from the perspective of one of the nurses – the first story focusing on Kyla and the second one on Evanna. Being told in the third person allows us to see the viewpoint of other key characters, which is especially important in the second story. They are best mates although quite different – Kyla being fun and constantly cheerful, Evanna more nurturing. I did become somewhat cross with Evanna for being a bit of a doormat and wanted to shake her up. Cooking meals and doing housework for your boss? She seemed far too focused on how she felt about a man than living her own life on her own terms. It is possible to be happy without a boyfriend! I liked the descriptions of her charming house and how she had worked on doing this up to her own style and would have liked to have read more of that.

Kyla’s story is more mysterious and we are not really sure what the motive is for Ethan being on the island. It is not “serendipity” as Kyla thinks and I wondered what the ulterior motive was.

The two doctors were very stereotypical, but I think this is what is expected of this type of book. Both stories were incredibly predictable, maybe formulaic to an extent and the endings almost identical. Sarah is a really good writer and therefore the characters and situations were in the main realistic and interesting. And the setting of a Scottish island in the summer is just lovely.
on 8 October 2012
I read Summer Kisses by Sarah Morgan and I really enjoyed it so I downloaded Summer Fling. This book is set on the Island of Glenmore in a doctors surgery. There are two stories first is Kyla's story which I really enjoyed. Then you get Evanna's story which I did not enjoy as much. This book is chic-lit at its best!
on 16 March 2012
This was like a series of Doc Martin put down on paper. Everything happened so quickly. It was very light and fluffy but harmless.I went by the cover and thought that it would be more chick lit than it actually was in reality it's the sort of book that my nan used to read!
on 2 February 2014
I enjoyed this book and have read most of Sarah Morgans books. I do manage to get past the rippling muscles to read the story as well!!!
on 26 August 2013
Have bought 5 other books by this author over the summer and have enjoyed each one. Am looking forward to her new book out in October,
on 3 August 2013
Loved this series, good escapism ! Would recommend them all. No more to say really to fulfill Amazon's minimum word requirement!
on 24 March 2014
The book finished at 84% with a really quick ending that left you thinking whats going on. It then went into another book which you didn't really want to read. This would have received 5 stars if that wasn't the case. I feel cheated with the outcome of the book.
on 15 April 2012
Just an easy light hearted read - enjoyable, I didn't even realise it was Mills & Boon when I bought it - I have just ordered "Wish Upon a Star" by the same author so I definately enjoyed it!
on 6 April 2016
In some ways this book was predictable however I did enjoy getting to know the characters. Not sure where Chapter 10 fits in
on 2 February 2014
Sarah Morgan's books always make me feel good. Romantic but setting and characters always interesting. Particularly enjoyed this book as I have visited many Scottish islands