5.0 out of 5 stars What a great way to spend an afternoon!
Published on 19 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but not a great book
Because of your review guideline and recent customer reviews I purchased three of the Mac Gregor books, at once. This one, like the MacGregor Grooms & Brides, was a light read but not great books. Would I purchase other Nora Roberts book? I don't think so! Harleguin's are just as good and allot cheaper.
Published on 31 Dec 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great way to spend an afternoon!, 19 April 1999
By A Customer
If you're looking for great intellect you won't find it here - but it you just want to spend an afternoon with some characters that you come to love this series is for you! This book is the best one to start with in the MacGregor series - then read Alan & Grant, The MacGregor Brides, Winning Hand, MacGregor Groom, and finally Perfect Neighbor. You'll love these characters and wish that they never had to run out of relatives to match up. thank you Nora for letting us escape for even a short time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Nora Roberts, 27 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I love all the characters in this family series and in this book, the first pair of lovers; Serena Macgregors and Justin Blade were fantastic! She was so alive and he was so determined to have her. She was definitely attracted to him as well, but was not too pleased when she found out that her father had a hand in arranging their meeting! The second story was between Caine and Diana; both were lawyers; was just as captivating! Diana, Justin's sister was invited by Serena to visit them and mend the distance between her and her brother. She met and fell in love with Caine, Serena's brother! I love Nora Roberts!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, BRILLIANT,, 15 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This was the second book i've read on the MacGregors, & now thanks to Amazon books i've found the rest and am eagerly awaiting a delivery. One of the best comtemporary books i've read in years, well written and plotted and boy do you want to take the hero home with you.
I enjoy books that involve families and evolve several stories round them, this collection is no exception and retains pride of place in an extensive and evergrowing collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!!!, 30 July 1999
By A Customer
This is the first of the MacGregor books I read, and it started off a hunger I can't feed fast enough. Nora Robert's talent of creating characters and storylines blows my mind away. After reading Serena and Caine, I just wanted to read more and more about this fantastic family created by Ms. Robert's mind. On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being not even worth lighting a fire with, and 10 being can't go to sleep until you've finsihed it), I'd diffently give it a 10!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read despite quirks, 14 Dec 1998
By A Customer
As much as I love Nora Roberts, I can't give this re-release of PLAYING THE ODDS and TEMPTING FATE five stars. Why? For starters, as much as I wanted to I just couldn't get past the "time warp" problem. There is no way that couples who met, fell in love, and married during the 80s can have adult children in the 90s. I haven't read Daniel's story yet, but I'm sure I'll find it even weirder that by the time of THE MACGREGOR BRIDES, he's 91! Secondly, Caine's constant lighting up of cigarettes drove me crazy. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't French kiss anyone who smokes as much as he did in his story. Yuck! And lastly, if an author is going to write a family saga, she should remember what she's written in previous books. In Laura's story in BRIDES, Roberts alludes to Caine finally convincing Diana to take that walk down the aisle. Wrong! In Caine's story, Diana proposes marriage to Caine. Despite all that, the romances are wonderful. Roberts is one of the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL! I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THE MACGREGORS!, 11 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Nora Roberts has done it again. This time around we go back in time and get to know the love story of Justin and Serena Blade and Caine and Diana MacGregor. Talk about fantastic! I fell in love with them just as easily as I fell in love with their children in "The MacGregor Brides" and "The MacGregor Grooms". No wonder their kids turned out so great! My personal favorite out of the two in one, was Caine and Diana's story. Man, what a great book. You'll love it. I can't wait til the next installment of the clan comes out, "The MacGregors, Alan and Grant". I've already ordered it even though it hasn't yet been released. I can't wait! Also soon to be released is "The Perfect Neighbor" which goes into the Campbell family and "The MacGregors, Daniel and Ian" which includes probably the most important story of all that of Daniel and Anna MacGregor, the heads of the clan. Nora must want to kill me with the anticipation. Trust me, you'll love the MacGregors!

5.0 out of 5 stars You've got to read this book!, 23 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I'm a latecomer to Nora Roberts, so whenever I see a book of hers that's been re-issued, I grab it. I read & loved "The MacGregor Brides" & "Grooms", so I was thrilled to read the love stories of their parents. I wasn't disappointed. These two stories were great. But I did notice one thing. These stories were written and seem to take place in 1985. The "Brides" & "Grooms" were written in 1997. If their parents were married in the '80's, how could theses kids be old enough to be married in the '90's? I guess they all have RAS (Rapid Aging syndrome)--like all the kids on soap operas!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent,well written,and gripping, 24 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Nora Roberts writes from the heart. She is one of a small handful with this gift. Her trilogy of the Quinn brothers is exceptional and heart stopping,a true treasure..Worth checking out.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but not a great book, 31 Dec 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars Second hand book, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: The MacGregors: Serena & Caine: Playing the Odds / Tempting Fate: Serena and Caine (Paperback)
I was anxious to complete my own mini series and this was the last book I needed - bit wary about it being "used" but on delivery no worries - would go down the same route again

Used & New from: 0.01