5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
It's unfortunate that, at the time I write this review, the existing reviews only address the book's (current) lack of Kindle functionality, and not the extent to which it is informative, clear and entertaining.

Published 18 months ago by DLF

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on Kindle for PC or Andriod
I purchased the Kindle version of the book but it will not download to Kindle for Android and although it will download on Kindle for PC the book cannot be opened. Bit annoying really!
Published 18 months ago by NS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python (Paperback)

This is one of the best texts in any field I have ever read. Its pace, content and structure is perfect for those who lack much/any programming experience but who are seeking a rigorous introduction to computational problem solving (just as it says on the tin). I found that learning about computer science from a problem-solving perspective to be ideal and natural: it adds relevance, interest and direction to the content.

The book's tone is not too serious and the writing often entertaining. The content is broken down into manageable chunks, which allowed me to digest my new knowledge and understanding and practice my new techniques at convenient points.

I cannot stress enough how clear Guttag's writing is. I had relatively little programming experience before reading this book, but now feel much more confident both in my understanding of computing from a scientific viewpoint as well as my practical ability to write programs and solve problems using Python.

I highly recommend this text.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to programming and Python., 29 Mar 2013
L. Pilfold - See all my reviews
I'm half way through this book (and the MIT600x course on edx.org) and so far I'm loving it. It's a really well written text that does a great job of introducing the various concepts as well as the Python language in general. It's certainly the best introduction to computer science I've come across since I decided to learn to code a year or so ago.

The section that introduced the concept of recursion by talking about Barack Obama's nationality got a chuckle out of me :)

I would definitely recommend this book (along with the MIT600x course) to anyone looking to learn how to code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for developing Python and programming skills, 2 Jun 2013
This large format book has been very helpful in improving my understanding of algorithms and how to program them in Python. The open learning notes, and especially videos from the associated MIT course make a great complement. My aim was to increase my beginner programming skills - and I focused on tackling a coding competition to motivate me to learn. I'm no McGee (NCIS fans), but it's definitely upped my ability.
K

4.0 out of 5 stars good solid text book, 17 Nov 2013
I was pleasantly surprised to see a book by the leading academic John Guttag, and so bought it. This book is not really a text for learning to program but rather for learning the basic theoretical issues underlying programming. My son is learning Python from another book which offers learning to program through games, and enjoys that even though it is tediously verbose. Once he has mastered that and produced some real code, I hope to persuade him to read this book. I recommend this book for anybody who want to understand programming rather than just do programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 19 July 2013
I am just learning Python and this book is a must buy for anybody in the same boat, I have not finished it yet but you can tell it will carry on in the same style. John is a very good writer and shows this by guiding the user through in a very good way.

A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book to learn computing, 22 Feb 2013
I bought it because of the MITx course I am enrolled in. The book is written ideally for people who want to learn programming and software development using the correct methods and learn a powerful language i.e. Python too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on Kindle for PC or Andriod, 2 Feb 2013

Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python
Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python by John V Guttag (Paperback - 18 Jan 2013)
Used & New from: 109.44