5.0 out of 5 stars Completely changed how I think about my photography., 19 Oct. 2011
Joshua Brown (Blackpool, England.) - See all my reviews
Originally came across Bogost after a recommendation from my dissertation tutor when researching for my third year thesis at uni.
I'm a BA(hons) Photography graduate and this book was crucial in helping me form the ideas behind my work.

Bogost's writing on the evolution of 'procedural rehotoric' and the way he rationalises it is amazing. Going as far back as Plato to explain his point really helps give his ideas some punch and it's hard to disagree with anything he says. I'm into the use of behavioural mechanics and how to learn from their deployment in interactive entertainment, in order to make my art more relevant.

Bogost is a particular favourite as I love still life and his work on Object Oriented Ontology, which gives new meaning to the objects we surround ourselves nowadays.

Any student looking at subjects that involve exploration of interactive technologies and media cannot ignore Bogost.

Incredibly long but formatted well for easy location of relevant subjects, so perfect for essay writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting with amazing ideas, but a bit academic and wordy, 8 Mar. 2012
This book is an interesting discussion on how videogames can be more than just entertainment, but can be a form of expression or tools to educate, influence and inspire users of these games. It goes through a number of examples of games that try to do this, and analyses how some are unlikely to be successful because of their shallow implementation, and how some should be far better because they actually integrate the gameplay into the logic of the subject they wish to investigate.

It I found it to be a bit wordy and academic, by this I mean it conveys it's concepts in longer form than really necessary. I would have preferred a format that proposes the concept and style, then gives examples to help express the concept and back up that viewpoint. This makes the reading a bit less entertaining, however the concepts discussed are of great value so I wouldn't let that get in the way.

Persuasive Games
Persuasive Games by Ian Bogost (Paperback - 10 Sept. 2010)