Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 September 2008
I've been using Processing (and the systems based on Processing such as Mobile Processing and Arduino) for some time now, and find them a great introduction to programming in general.

This book is beautifully presented and very well written. The introductory chapters are a great way of starting to learn programming and I'm proposing to use the ideas in them as an introduction to programming for my students.

Together with Ben Fry's Visualizing Data these are brilliant way to get people programming (with Processing).
on 22 December 2009
I agree with the other comments on this book. I worked through the whole book and it teaches you all the basics. It is very comprehensive but never gets boring. Motivating one to do the tasks at the end of every chapter is a very good idea I find and helps with the learning. The book also explains some basic maths which I had forgotten since school in an applied way. Learning processing with this book has given me a thorough basis for further programming with other object oriented programminglanguages. I have many many little memos sticking out of my book as I have used it in practice a lot. If your going for Processing or Arduino, this book is a must, but the knowledge from this book will come in handy in any similar environment especially for beginners. If you're a pro already then it is still a good book to have in your bookshelf for looking up the odd line of code as I always get confused when I use different languages as they all have slight differences.
on 8 August 2009
This book somehow manages to be both comprehensive and thorough. It helped me get a broad understanding of how processing works and also to delve deeper into its various components.
Definitely more than I expected from a single book.
Highly recommended.
on 30 May 2010
I am a computer programmer on Computer Graphics, so I have been developing applications for a while. Nevertheless I have always had a strong tendency to arts. Processing allows you to be very spontaneous when writing code, achieving goals with no many lines of code that otherwise you'd have to write. Also talks to Arduino allowing your program to 'exteriorise' using actuators and all sorts of electronics. I love it, and I am getting more and more in the subject.Thanks Casey and Ben.
on 11 October 2012
This book is something like the language, is great.
It covers everything what you have to know about programing, except how you can enter new data with keyboard!
If you want to learn Processing, get it.
on 27 May 2013
The book to go with the software. Most of the examples that get bundled with processing are in this book along with information and screenshots.

Its the bible for processing.
on 30 May 2013
THE Processing's handbook in my opinion, really useful and maybe the best written on the market.
Enjoy it and good coding
on 27 January 2014
For everyone who starts with processing. Consider to wait a little bit for the new updated version that covers the new processing 2.0 functionalities.