Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 November 2011
This is a gem of a little book and very reasonably priced. It is written by someone who is more than just an artist, rather a sage and a philosopher who is also not afraid of sometimes stating the obvious but always with an stimulating twist, quote and original illustration. This is not a "how to" book. It is a reminder of the fundamental truths which underpin the aesthetic world. Big ideas delivered in easily digested bites, you can finish the whole book in about half an hour but it will pay to revisit. It is amusing and serious at the same time - a perfect present for a teenager or student and indeed anyone with an interest in the arts.
on 3 January 2012
I was given this for Christmas and wish I'd had it at the start of the Foundation Art & Design course I'm doing as it covers pretty much our curriculum to date by about page 30, all in good short readable examples with great 'in the style' of illustrations. Great present.
on 18 April 2012
This was a great little book! The drawings are beautiful, the text was insightful and it was all round a cute interesting little book.
on 24 May 2013
Introduced to this from fellow art school friends, full of some quite obvious things that you tend to forget... really wish I'd had something like this when I was starting art school all those years ago. But saying that, still relevant now after leaving art school over 10+ years ago.
on 14 May 2014
Found this in my last year of art school, and wish I'd found it earlier. Better late than never! Great (and very short to the point) tips on how to get through art school, and how to keep on dreaming with your feet on the ground. Practical, and encouraging at the same time.
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2016
An interesting little book – the pages aren’t numbered but each of the 101 things is on a double page spread. Add the index and blurb at the beginning and that makes it about 112 I guess. The book is quite small – roughly 15cm square and has really solid covers. Some of the items are logical (“Document your work”, “Learn to accept criticism”) and some are not so (Understand the implications of the “intentional fallacy”). It’s well laid out, quite clear in its approach and nice to refer to now and again. I’m not sure it’s all that useful, but I’ll either file it in my “Motivation” or “Tutorial” section. I’m not sure which yet.
on 6 January 2016
102 Form over content rules.
This is a pure waste of money but the design of the book is excellent showing that look matters more than substance - so I guess the author really did learn something from art school
on 2 April 2015
So good I bought two. I bought one as a present but after scan reading it I couldn't put it down and had to get another for myself. A witty but accurate account of a 4 year experience covered in a couple of hours!
on 4 July 2015
A good little book for A&D students
on 20 April 2016
Arrived on time and fun to read.