2,353 Reviews
 (1,854)

4.0 out of 5 stars This version is good, but not perfect
I must make it clear from the start that I will not review the story of The Hobbit, but just this (hardcover) annotated edition in particular:
ISBN-10: 0007137273
ISBN-13: 978-0007137275
Publisher: HarperCollins; Revised edition edition (7 April 2003)

It's important to note that Amazon unfortunately merges all the reviews from one story,...
Published 18 months ago by Leandro Medeiros

3.0 out of 5 stars The Audio Play: ok, but not the best treatment of The Hobbit
AMAZON TAKE NOTE: Because this version is so different from the book I think Amazon are wrong to lump all the reviews together and treat them as a single product. This will confuse buyers and create inaccurate ratings.

---

This version of The Hobbit is an audio play first broadcast by the BBC in 1968 (it is NOT an audiobook - ie someone reading the...
Published on 25 Oct. 2012 by Sinbad

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful adventure to re-read over the yeras, 24 Feb. 2012
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
I was first given a copy of The Hobbit when I was, I think, 10 years old - my father, a confirmed Lord of the Rings fan, brought me a copy. I loved it then, and I love it now ... *cough* *cough* years later.

Having read, over the years, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion many times, and having pored over the artwork, calendars and drawings available out there, I still think The Hobbit is on a slightly different wavelength to the other books. It's lighter, slightly more fanciful and less dark - even though bad things do happen, the tone of the book is that of someone telling a tale ... and that's one of its many charms. It can be read by anyone from a pre-teen to an adult, and enjoyed over the years on so many levels. It never loses its appeal.

A wonderful adventure, filled with elves, goblins, orcs, dwarves, men and many other creatures - and hobbits, of course. Bilbo Baggins is one of a kind - a hobbit with a touch of `Tookishness' in him who finds he may yet thrive on an adventure. Great stuff indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Radio 4 Dramatisation Entertaining but a sometimes Confusing, 14 Nov. 2012
N. Gratton "Writer & Photographer" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hobbit (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
(Reviews for different versions of the Hobbit seem to be bundled together on amazon; this is a review for the BBC Radio 4 Dramatisation of the story).

I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's work and have read The Hobbit as a novel a number of times; I also own the unabridged Audio CD of the story (around 16 hours, if I recall correctly).

I found this adaptation largely entertaining, and a good reminder of the story, but unfortunately rather confusing at times. At times it really wasn't clear what was going on, the narrative being list in a babble of voices and effects. And one or two names were pronounced so far from how I'm used to hearing them that I found it distracting - particularly Gaaandaaalf. Some characters voices - such as the Eagles - have been electronically mangled.

All that said, this is still The Hobbit, and this version is true to the story and entertaining. Despite its drawbacks, real Tolkien fans shouldn't hesitate to have this in their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive, erudite and delightful, 11 Oct. 2004
R. Sinclair "RoyS." (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Annotated Hobbit (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book and so much more than a definitive text if such could exist, as it contains a wealth of information in the annotations that make it a must read for anyone interested in folklore, mythology or the origin of obscure words and phrases. Tokein fans sould already have it on their shelves. It provides a wealth of background info on Tolkeins sources as well as details of various non-english editions including many illustrations that are unlikely to be seen anywhere else.
The annotations are presented in a convenient way that does not interfere with a straight reading of the text but allows simple and straightforward reference to them without losing the flow of the text
Far from detracting, as heavy annotations can so often do, the annotations here seem to bring the story even more to life and add depth and character and perhaps explains why Tolkeins tales are so popular as new dimensions are added to myths we are all to some degree already probably familiar with.
As someone who used the phrase to 'bag off' when skipping off for an extra snack at lunchtime when younger I was delighted to discover the origin of the surname Baggins. An absolute delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection in a box., 15 Sept. 2012
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Once and a while a great book is matched by a wonderful full cast BBC production and this dear friend is just that.

Over 4 Hours the well loved tale is woven and performed for your ears and delight.

I use the word delight for who ever loves the story will simply love this production.

4 cassettes each of one hour contains nine episodes of the story.

And what a story it is..

Dwarfs, dragons, Gold, Eleves, a quest, Trolls, Wargs and eagles but above all a Hobbit.

This edition is packed in a handsom smart dark green box with gold lettering and it contains four smart gold innercards. It really matches the production.

A confession? I loved the Lord of the Rings BUT actually prefer the Hobbit.

It is a perfect tales, well wriiten and in this format so well performed.
100 per cent recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars There and back again in style, 18 Feb. 2004
Marco Busani "Proven Intellect" (Edgware, London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Hobbit (Hardcover)
The Hobbit is the prologue to Lord of the Rings and is more of a children's fantasy novel as opposed to an adult one. Don't let that discourage you though, as The Hobbit is an enjoyable read for all ages alike.
Reading this book will help enhance your enjoyment of LOTR as there is a lot of background information, introductions to certain characters, locations and artifacts that are prominent in that trilogy. The novel is centred on Bilbo Baggins and his quest to help the dwarves retrieve their treasure trove from Smaug the dragon.
Bilbo gradually increases in confidence and capability as the novel progresses and the dwarves opinion of him improves radically. From Gloin's "little fellow bobbing and puffing on the mat" at the start of the novel to Balin's "Good old Bilbo" some 8 chapters in.
Tolkien gives the reader an early introduction to the slippery Gollum and The Riddles in the Dark chapter is one of the most impressive in the novel. Bilbo's one on one conversation with Smaug is also particularly enjoyable.
The novel has plenty of depth to it taking the reader from the endearing Shire to a narrow escape from a troll's banquet, from capture by the goblins and wargs to an encounter with the formidable Beorn etc. The novel draws to a close with the grand Battle of Five Armies and Thorin's repentance. There is plenty in here to keep the reader engaged.
If I had one small criticism of the Hobbit it is the fact that Tolkien opts not to individualise the Dwarf characters enough. Other than Thorin, Balin, Bombur, Fili and Kili little is known about the characters of the rest of the dwarves.
This deluxe edition is generously illustrated by Alan Lee with extensive full page colour illustrations aswell as smaller black & white diagrams. The gold colour cover and nice maps help complete the package. This is certainly the edition to opt for and the Hobbit is an effective introduction to the world of Tolkien.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, 8 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hobbit (Hardcover)
The Hobbit along with The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien in my opinion must be one of the best books ever written. I thought to myself is it worth spending £60 on this special edition though. However when I received it I knew it was money well spent. The quality of the book is amazing as they have used good quality paper which is brilliant white and means the text is crisp and clear unlike the majority of books. Also the colour illustrations are of superb print quality, not forgetting Thror's Map which folds out and changes when held to the light, altogether there are 18 illustrations all well worth it. There is even a ribbon page marker which is a pleasant rarity in modern books. The only thing I think they could have improved on, in my opinion, is the cover which is very plain and doesn't do much for the book.
So, although a bit expensive, I think that once you have this book you won't regret buying it and will want to buy The Lord of The Rings which has also been published in this special edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien, 6 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
A great book and a great lead to The Lord Of The Rings. A hobbit (Bilbo Baggins) was swept from his home in a hill to go on a great adventure through mountains, forests and a dragon in hope of finding a tresure. With the help of Gandalf (a wizard), 13 dwarves and a whole load of other magical cretures, will Bilbo reach the treasure before he gets killed ?

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, luxurious book that would make a wonderful gift for all ages xx, 25 Nov. 2013
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am not usually one for television and films always preferring a good book instead, but funny enough I hate to admit I have watched and loved all of The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit films and yet I have never read one of the books. When the publishers sent me the new illustrated copy to review I don't think I have ever fallen in love with a book so quickly! I am so disappointed that it is not possible to share with you all how luxurious this book looks and feels, the writing stands out in the shiny gold and the fabric that has been used to cover the book just gives the book such a high quality look to it and makes me feel like I have a real treasure in my hands.

The Hobbit tells the story of the quirky little hobbit called Bilbo Baggins, when Gandalf, a great wizard arrives looking for someone to share in an adventure Bilbo Baggins strongly and politely declines for of course hobbits do not partake in adventures! But that evening to Bilbo's surprise a group of dwarfs arrive one by one to his home in the hill and it soon becomes clear they are off on an adventure and Bilbo has been selected to go with them as their burglar as they head to get their revenge on Smaug who has taken the dwarfs ancestors treasure. The journey to the Lonely Mountain is a tough and dangerous adventure, and things along the way change our little hobbit he is a very different hobbit to the one who left for the adventure.

This is a fantastically magical read that will have you hooked from the first meeting. There are an unbelievable amount of characters in this book and yet I never lost track of who was who. The storyline is so unpredictable and shocking so you are constantly entertained which makes the book a real page turner. It is a very long book for a child or young adult at 374 pages but with this addition because it has illustrations on nearly every other page it breaks the book down a little bit so that the size doesn't feel too daunting.
Jemima Catlin has created some amazing illustrations in this book they really are quite remarkable she manages to capture in picture form what the image actually looks like in my head whilst reading. I couldn't wait to turn the page to see which picture we were being treated to next. Although I mentioned before that the illustrations in this edition is fantastic for children I have to point out that I am 28 and I fell in love with the drawings and I love this edition so much I have never quite loved a book as much as I have this one and I will not be loaning this book to anyone! If ever I do take the plunge and have children I will enjoy sharing this beautiful book with them ( although they won't be allowed to touch!)

This book is quite simply remarkable and luxurious and would make any one feel special to own their own copy. It is full of adventure and twists and turns that you could not predict even with your wildest imagination. There is such an amazing cast of characters in this book and the descriptive writing manages to bring not only the characters but the wholes setting to life. I cannot recommend this edition of The Hobbit enough don't hesitate grab this book as not only a prefect girt but an investment into your families library for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prequel to the Lord of the Rings, 27 May 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
Professor JRR Tolkien had made his mark as an authority on Anglo-Saxon language and mythology, by the time he wrote The Hobbit, in 1937, but the novel was his first great literary success, and of course what introduced many to it's majestic sequel, The Lord of the Rings.
65 years later, it still enthralls millions of readers, both young and old. It is a wonderful story to captivate readers aged 10 to 110. It has inspired much creative work, including the theme of a popular computer game during the 1980's. In essence Tolkien was the father of the Sword and Sorcery genre of literature, which has provided the material for so many successful novels, movies and games.
Lighter in tone than the Lord of the Rings, it nevertheless contains many references to things deeper and darker than on the surface, such as Gondolin, the last White Council, the Necromancer, and the ring.
The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion provide a deeper journey into Tolkien's Middle Earth. But younger readers can also enjoy it, for it's own benefit.

I first read the book, when I was twelve. It wet my appetite for all things Tolkien and led me to then read the Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion.

The Hobbit is the story of the adventure of Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit of the green and pleasant country of the Shire, recruited by the wizard Gandalf and a company of Dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield, to wrest the Dwarves inheritance from the Dragon Smaug under the Lonely Mountain. The company must first battle Trolls , Goblins , Wolves , and Giant Spiders , and comes into contact with Elves , Eagles , Men and other inhabitants of Tolkien's wonderful world.

4.0 out of 5 stars There and Back Again, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
With the forthcoming release of the first part of The Hobbit it seems only right and proper that I get around to finally reading the book for the first time. Yes, I know I'm thirty-eight and I should probably should have read it years ago but I'll let you in on a secret. I'm more than a little intimidated by what you would probably term classic fiction. There I've said it. I've finally admitted my secret shame. Why am I so overwhelmed? Well, The Hobbit is the perfect example to help illustrate my problem.

The book was first published way back in 1937. Since then, many people, the vast majority of whom (probably all) are far cleverer than I, have read it and produced an in-depth analysis of the themes and motifs that the story touches upon. I've always been a bit worried that I just wouldn't get it. I was concerned that by picking up the book and attempting to read it, I'd miss all these fine things that all these clever sorts were talking about. After a lot of procrastination, and a couple of deep breaths, I decided to take the leap face my fear and go for it. Time for me to finally give the book a try and attempt to discover what all the fuss was about.

When it comes to characterization, I was struck that most of the cast read like exemplars of particular traits. Bilbo begins the novel with a very narrow world-view, more than happy with his lot in life, but as the adventure unfolds he is called upon to draw from hidden reserves of courage and self-reliance. He is shaken out of his pastoral existence and forced to confront the rest of the world.

Other characters are similarly used. Beorn the woodsman feels like a cypher for environmental issues, while the leader of the dwarf, Thorin Oakenshield, allows Tolkien to explore the perils of leadership.

And then, of course, there is poor old Gollum. He's the creature that Bilbo meets while separated from the rest of his party, lost deep underground. Gollum is obsessed with a very special ring, he refers to it as `his precious', and it's hard not to feel sorry for him. Gollum has spent years alone and his greed and obsession have twisted him both mentally and physically. In order to elicit Gollum's assistance, Bilbo is forced into a riddle competition. The back and forth between both characters in this battle of wits is brilliant fun.

There are some other marvelous moments and one of my favourites is when Bilbo and the dwarves fall foul of three trolls named Tom, William and Bert. A troll called William? How wonderfully odd. Elsewhere the image of Bilbo, the self styled Hobbit burglar, and the dwarves escaping captivity by floating down a river in used barrels raises a smile. It almost goes without saying that Smaug the dragon and the Battle of the Five Armies are suitably epic in scope.

Tolkien manages to pack a heck of a lot into a paperback that is only two hundred and seventy pages long. The only thing I can really compare The Hobbit with is the writing of Tolkien's contemporary, C.S. Lewis. For me, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Hobbit feel like they are cut from the same fantastical cloth. The Hobbit has quite rightly earned its place as the grand-daddy of modern fantasy. It must be a classic - there are talking eagles in it for goodness sake!

Even now, seventy-five years after publication, I think The Hobbit has a lot to offer any reader. There is an exciting adventure with more than enough twists and turns to keep younger readers hooked. While for more advanced readers there are plenty of ideas explored that are worth pondering. I'm embarrassed that it has taken me so long to open this book. I forgot the cardinal rule `don't worry what anyone else thinks, make up your own mind'. If you've never read The Hobbit, can I suggest you don't wait as long as I did. I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the movie version even more now that I have finally devoured the source text. My only concern re the movies is that I have no idea how they are going to stretch it out into a cinematic trilogy. Two films I can see, but three feels a bit much.

The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition
The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition by J. R. R. Tolkien (Hardcover - 17 Sept. 2007)