1,885 Reviews
 (1,479)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated
I decided to invest in this classic but I wasn't sure which edition to buy; the boxed set or the one book. I love hardback books, especially slightly oversized and I'm glad I decided to buy this one. The dust cover advertises the beautiful illustrations inside. It also has embossed gold foil writing and at the top and bottom the foil backed Runes. The bottle green...
Published on 5 Jan 2002 by rachellaird@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the actual story and kindle edition.
Firstly I was not aware the book was meant for children when I bought it becuse I found it in the Fantasy section expecting to find adult books. However this was my mistake so I will bear in mind this is a childrens book for the review.

The book is easy to read, with a very linear and predictable story which makes it great for children I suppose. There are many...
Published on 12 Jan 2012 by Eric Blair

‹ Previous | 1178 179 180189 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 12 July 2011
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
Sender sent me the wrong edition - please check yours if you order it!!! Apart from that it was a great book and really hope that the film does it justice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who are we to criticise?, 16 Nov 2010
Stephen Lyons (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
Over the years countless "reviews" of Tolkien's works have been written by people, who set themselves up as experts,and delight in discussing (or criticising) every word on every page.
Just accept his books for what they are - The Hobbit, written for children and a prologue to the adult (but appreciated by children) darker Lord of the Rings.
You love them or you hate them, full stop!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............, 25 April 2010
Manny.S (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition (Hardcover)
GREAT BOOK!!! first time i read a book by tolkien and enjoyed it alot, his style may be hard to grasp at first but when you get into you feel every bump and bruise bilbo feels!!!, wanted to read this before i read lotr and dont regret it must read for lotr fans!!!!! also theres alot of lotr build up and it realy sets up the finale that is lotr. so if you havnt read lotr read this first!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 26 Oct 2009
This review is from: THE HOBBIT (Hardcover)
As expected this book was just as gripping as a Lord of the Rings film, an excellent read. Its probably worth buying the book just because of its age and quality, could sell this for a nice price in years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction to Middle Earth, 24 July 2009
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
I cant make my mind up whether this is a childrens book or not.

I'm not sure if Tolkien was entirley sure himself, parts of this book seem firmly in the realm of fairy tales, for example the 'talking purse' scene with the trolls early on reminds me of those god awful Terry Pratchett books.

But the dark 'undertone' so evident in later books is still present and increases steadily as the story progresses.

In fact the book gets much better the further in you get with the introduction of the men of long lake and elves of mirkwood. The battle of the five armies is a great climax to the story.

Lets face it, Tolkien was a genius, as a standalone novel this story does not reach the heights of the LOTR trilogy however it sets the scene superbly and introduces the reader to middle earth, hobbit lore and hints at the incredibly rich and deep world Tolkien ultimately creates.

I would recommend anyone tackling Tolkien starts here but bare in mind things get better and better from here on in.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a good book but it is for kids, 27 Oct 2008
C. Burrows (chippeham,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
jrr Tolkien wrote this book for his children. if you are expecting more lord of the rings just be mindfull that this is a kids book it does tell you alot about bilbo and how he found the ring. i like it and i am going to read it to my children. you cant give this book one star because it was not what YOU expected

3.0 out of 5 stars Read it to your children or just before you start the Lord of the Rings, 18 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition (Hardcover)
This book was a very ancient candidate on my "to read list" and I always planned to read it just before the Lord of the Rings. So far, things have worked out and I have started Lord of the Rings the same afternoon I finished the Hobbit.

I don't think I would enjoy Lord of the Rings as much as I do, had I not read the Hobbit just beforehand. The Hobbit really provides the reader with a lot of background information, which is an advantage when you get started with the trilogy.

Nevertheless, I still feel that, as a stand - alone story, the Hobbit is a book aimed at children. Tolkien's fluid writing style and the way in which he addresses his readers, often gave me the impression that the author was right next to me, lecturing about hobbits in a style suitable for primary school children. The Hobbit is thus the perfect book to read to your children before bedtime or even one of the first novels they might read themselves.

When evaluating the Hobbit as a prelude to Lord of the Rings, things look a little bit different. Currently reading Lord of the Rings, I am thankful to have followed the chronological path, as the Hobbit prepares the setting for Lord of the Rings, in which Tolkien has adapted his very scholarly writing style to an audience of grown ups.

Apart from the obvious highlights of the story, i.e. Bilbo's encounter with Gollum, The Hobbit, even though the plot was neat and perfectly paced, sometimes felt dragging as the story meanders from one perilous situation to another. However, the aspect I enjoyed most was the author's typically English humour, which often shines through when Bilbo interacts with the other characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit!!!!!!!!!!!!, 2 Feb 2008
L. Heywood "Fantasy Books Fanatic!" (Rochdale, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hobbit (Hardcover)
One of the best books to ever enter our world, perfect for everyone who is a fantasy book lover. Once again thank you to J.R.R.Tolkien.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly told fantasy adventure, 28 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a fantasticly crafted and marvellously delivered masterpiece by Tolkien. It is also a perfect prelude to the classic The Lord of the Rings. However, if one feels that one could not manage the admittedly huge LOTR, one can feel safe in settling for The Hobbit. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Good, 25 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been trying to read this book for years, but I just could not get into it. I have, however, finally managed to get through it. As soon as you stop laughing at poor Bilbo Baggins, who was not blessed with kind parents, obviously, it becomes immediately obvious that it's a really good book. Some people say it's too childish, but I find the 'fairy tale' style very refreshing. As soon as you can get past the unusual ideas about dwarves coming to tea, and the ridiculous Gollum, it gets quite good, especially the goblin armies, and the Battle of Five Armies at the end. It reminds of the Narnia books, but much, much better. Read it.

‹ Previous | 1178 179 180189 | Next ›

The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition
The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition by J. R. R. Tolkien (Hardcover - 17 Sep 2007)
13.60