1,932 Reviews
 (1,518)

4.0 out of 5 stars The unoverlookable prequel to The Lord of the Rings.
This is the story of Bilbo Baggins, a well-off, quiet little halfling (a Hobbit) who'd never wanted any adventures in his life, and of how he became the reluctant participant in a perilous treasure hunt.
It all began one afternoon, when Gandalf the wizard came knocking at the round door of his cosy Hobbit Hole. The next morning, thirteen dwarves were crowding his...
Published on 2 Feb 2004 by Stephanie Noverraz

3.0 out of 5 stars Martin Shaw Narration of The Hobbit (Abridged)
This audio version of The Hobbit tells the first tale of Bilbo's adventures with his trusted Dwarf companions and of course Gandalf. It tells the tale of their journey to gain wealth and treasure and all of the dangers they experience along the way. It more importantly tells how Bilbo comes across "The Ring" and its affects on him. From this the follow up story...
Published on 19 Mar 2002 by mike@wottle.free-online.co.uk

‹ Previous | 1178 179 180194 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The hobbit, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
Great book that is easy to read for adults as well as older children, would recommend it to those who enjoy the Harry potter's

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 22 Jan 2013
Ann S (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
I read this prior to reading LOTR for the background info. It's a classic what more can I say really

4.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
Will go down as a true classic. As enjoyable years on as it was the first time I picked it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars re, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
read the hobbit to my children in 1965 enjoyed it then wanted to refresh my memory.saw the film awaiting the next part

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
A very good story and it was exciting but it went on a bit too long. Appart from that it was amazing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read., 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
Trouble with the book is it takes you back to the other three Lord's of the Rings Films. Have seen the film as well, and that smacks of bits of the other films as well. Still well worth the read and going to see the film as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
Long time favourite classic. Don't watch the film, read the book as the film is full of inaccuracies and does not respect the book is a children's book

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit, 9 Jan 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
I've lost count of the number of times I've read The Hobbit over the years, it was the book that started my love of all things fantasy and it was always a go to book that I could read again and again as I was growing up. It must have been at least 5 years since I last read it though so I wanted to pick it up again before going to see the movie. It doesn't matter how many times I pick it up I still love it as much as the first and it always surprises me how many little details I forget between readings.

I know that most people have already read the story but if you're one of the few who haven't then I'd highly recommend it. It's a great story for adults but I also think it makes fantastic bed time reading with children because it's such a fun adventure story. There is a reason it's considered a classic! The last thing Bilbo Baggins is looking for is an adventure, he is quite happy living in his hobbit hole enjoying plenty of food and good company when he wants it (which is not too often thank you very much). When Gandalf arrives with a party of thirteen dwarves Bilbo is convinced they have come to the wrong person for help but the more he learns about their quest to re-claim their lands from the dragon who stole them the more curious he becomes and in the end he can't resist joining them.

Bilbo is the least likely of heroes, he doesn't consider himself particularly brave or smart and he has practically no experience of travelling or fighting, but when it comes down to it the dwarves wouldn't have got very far without him. I always enjoy seeing Bilbo reach is full potential, he goes on a journey of personal discovery and proves to everyone just what a strong character he is. The story isn't as dark or scary as the Lord of the Rings books are and is suitable for a younger audience but it is still quite scary in places and the scenes with Gollum are particularly creepy. I love the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum but have to admit that I'd be hopeless at figuring out the answers myself if I was in Bilbo's place! The Hobbit is such an enjoyable story and a great introduction to the Lord of the Rings books, I really think I'm going to have to re-read those this year too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Review, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
Whilst I enjoyed the book, I found the story a little weak.

I really don't understand why this has been brought out after Lord of the Rings. All seems back to front to me.

You either like it or you don't

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed by Read2Review, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
With the new release of the film and because I revisit the Lord Of The Rings books each year I wanted to revisit The Hobbit. It's been a favourite of mine since I was a little girl. We actually read it at school as one of our "book list" books.

The story of Bilbo Baggins is an exciting one. Hobbits don't usually leave the Shire but as Thorin and his dwarves along with Gandalf turn up on Bilbo's door he is encouraged to take an adventure with them. From the minute the book starts I was pulled into the story and found it hard to put the book down.

The way Tolkein writes is pure genius. He paints a picture with his writing and Middle Earth, possibly thanks to the films, was so easy to picture. The characters are very easy to like or hate depending on how Tolkein intended them. Bilbo, the hero of the story, is someone that stays with you when you aren't reading and I found myself wanting to read more and find out what was happening.

I think it is fair to say that since childhood the books have always been quoted as amongst my favourites. The Hobbit was one of the very first books that made me fall in love with fantasy and even now, 20...... years after my first reading I loved the story as much as I did when I first discovered it. It will stay in my heart probably until the end of my days.

If you haven't read the book yet I would highly recommend it to you. If you don't fall in love with Middle Earth like I have I would be highly surprised.

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

I give The Hobbit 5/5.

‹ Previous | 1178 179 180194 | Next ›

The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition
The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition by J. R. R. Tolkien (Hardcover - 17 Sep 2007)
13.60