1,184 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly superb performance - BBC radio at its best!
In essence, the best audio transcription of this famous story and most unlikely to be beaten. Well done BBC Radio for a fantastic job! All the superlatives have essentially been used in previous reviewers comments so I'll be brief : I've listened to the tape version for several years while living in the USA. My family and I recently relocated to France for my job and...
Published on 13 July 2001 by steve.dearden@wanadoo.fr

3.0 out of 5 stars The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
We all know that the The Lord of the Rings is a work of genius, so this review covers this particular published version (The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition). First off this book is expensive and in format it is only a little larger than the paperback version. Also apart from the three pages from the book of Mazurbul there are no illustrations. First...
Published on 23 April 2005 by J Meehan

‹ Previous | 118 19 20119 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not the best edition., 18 Jan 2013
Mario Zito (Bologna, Emilia Romagna Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
I expected a bit more, the american edition is way better. There is no splicase. The price was good tough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not what i expected, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
Misleading photos . I thought that i was going to buy the deluxe version , as a result of the pics that described the item.

3.0 out of 5 stars A work of genius that still has me in two minds about it..., 1 Jan 2013
M. Wingett "Matt!" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I read The Lord of The Rings every year from age 9 to 17. It's interesting to note that each time I read it, I discovered something new about it.

By the time I was 17, I discovered that its epic style which is inspired by Beowulf is actually pretty unsatisfactory once you've found an alternative: the Grand Tradition of literature.

So here's my dilemma: I LOVED Tolkien when I was immature and didn't understand character interaction and gripping plotting. When I got older, I could see his limitations. He replaces poetry recital for characterisation, truncates action sequences (there is no excuse for this, drawing on models such as Beowulf and The Iliad as he does - the old epics do action exquisitely) and uses repetition of plotting in place of tautness of storyline (the departure from the Shire comes to mind here.)

But all this said and done, there is no getting around the DEEP DEEP impression he left on my mind as a boy.

I suspect that Tolkien manages to access archetypes that are buried in our psyches and which cause a kind of magical frisson when you encounter them for the first time.

He is a writer of myth rather than fantasy, and I suppose it is true that myth has its own rules, separate from standard literature. I remember reading The Silmarillion for the first time as a teenager and thinking it was actually the most profound book I'd ever read. But it doesn't do what it's "meant" to do - it doesn't deeply involve you in the characters and it has such a vast sweep of history that it is more a quasi-religious work than a work of fiction.

The novelty of the creatures we meet in The Lord Of The Rings, from talking trees to immortal beings to utterly evil creatures that are twisted, broken versions of elves delight us on first encounter. They intrigue. And they hold in them for a child a sort of poetic, archetypal truth which is both addictive and appealing. Why? What is it that Tolkien does?

I have an idea that it is this: he uses the syntax and form of great religious epics, like the Old Testament or the Bhagavad-Gita to inform The Silmarillion - and then uses the ideas in that book to inform The Lord of The Rings. (Tolkien actually wanted to publish The Silmarillion as his next book after The Hobbit, but George Allen wanted something more accessible.) His work is charged with myth.

In a world looking for alternatives to what many consider to be a discredited Christianity it has that wonderful quality of pressing all those mystical, mythical buttons without inconveniently bothering you with the silly notion that it might be true. That is quite an achievement, and I suppose it has to be acknowledged on its own terms.

Nevertheless, judged by your average fantasy novel criteria, it's not a great book.

Tolkien himself argued that Beowulf was a great work of literature when all the Classical scholars around him had argued that it was a rude, unformed piece of Anglo-Saxon crudery. He identified specific criteria by which to judge it. I think the same can be argued for Tolkien's work, too. It follows a tradition that is separate from the Great Tradition. Somehow it still manages to strike into people's imaginations and transport them to another world.

I suppose that this is what makes it great - although I know for sure that I outgrew it long ago.

Enjoy this book. To do so, be prepared to meet it on its own terms, and be swept along by its scope and its grandeur. Just try to ignore all those annoying things I listed at the start of this review that a modern writer of fantasy would never be allowed to get away with! Reading it for the first time could be the start of a lifelong love affair with the mystical. It could also be one of the most irritating events of your life.

Time for you to choose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lord, 11 Dec 2012
I absolutely loved this version, once you start listening you really don't want to stop, I highly recommend this to anyone interested in Tolkein.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Sep 2012
I love this trilogy and don't think there is much to add other than read the 3 books and enjoy. My only comment is that I find the Kindle version a little disappointing as it does not include all details shown in my rather battered paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition, 20 Aug 2012
Although very expensive for the Kindle edition (more than the paperback - the sooner these old school paper publishers are out of business the better), the formatting is good and includes the illustrations and runes etc.

It's great to have this English classic in such a convenient format.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOTR you are fantastic...., 12 July 2012
This is the first fantasy book that I read. The descriptions, character development and plot is fantastic.

It cannot be matched.

If you enjoy this...would highly recommend starting Game of Thrones..

X

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 6 Feb 2012
Listening to Rob Inglis reading "The Lord of the Rings" feels like what it may have been to listen to Professor Tolkien sitting at the fireside reading to his grandchildren. Rob Inglis has a wonderfully "oldfashioned" voice and style. I think he does the book justice. But I do doubt the wisdom of the decision to actually sing the songs. Well, he can sing, but to tell the truth it's an old man's singing voice, and it ranges from just bearable (the song of Bilbo, for example) to plainly embarrassing (all the songs sung by women and elves). But apart from that it's a great audiobook!

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant piece of work., 22 Nov 2011
Pete Ward (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
The Lord of the Rings books are often under-appreciated concerning the film, and don't get me wrong, the films are brilliant, but they don't even compare to the books. And for good reason; they are both very different. The book manages to capture that atmosphere and scale that the films just don't seem to manage, and it really draws you in. Tolkien takes on the role of narrator, giving the impression that the world actually exists, as opposed to one that was created. The level of detail that goes into it is also astounding. However, I couldn't help but feel that at times it seems to have a monotonous tone. Of course, the characters, settings, interactions, progressions are all fantastic, but Tolkien does seem at points to have trouble conveying emotion, and this is unfortunate, especially when it's a moment that the film does really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!, 5 Nov 2011
11 pounds for 3 of the best books of all time? Are you kidding me? Any Lord of the Rings fan out there MUST have these books in his library, and if you're not a Lord of the Rings fun, buy the books, read them, become Lord of the Rings fan. It's that simple. I can't really tell much about the actual product because I would need days to finish a proper review, it worth it's money that's all you need to know. That your hard earn cash will be well spent on.

‹ Previous | 118 19 20119 | Next ›

The Return of the King: The Return of the King Vol 3 (The Lord of the Rings)