5.0 out of 5 stars Student or film maker? Essential reading, 23 Jun 2014
A. Norris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduction to Documentary (Paperback)
When I picked up a video camera some years ago I wanted to read all I could that would give me direction for film making. I got a few 'how to..' books on making documentaries and read them avidly but without feeling particularly inspired until I read through this book. I soon realised that I had taken the wrong approach. Forget books that try to teach you how to shoot film, how to light, how to edit a script or what camera angle to take. Better still, this book showed me the different approaches to documentary film making that have evolved over the past century, or so. It went on to give titles of particular films that illustrated these different styles. So, I then watched as many of these as I could find and learnt for myself what it was that made each individual film a 'classic' of its genre. If anyone reads this and is interested to make documentary films then I would highly recommend this book, and this book only. No 'teach yourself' book will ever teach you how to find your style. One learns by practical work and emulation of those one admires.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential book for University, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Introduction to Documentary (Paperback)
I bought this book because it was mandatory for university course, but this book is great and I advise people to buy regardless. The book goes through all the documentary styles and forms throughout the years and goes a lot deeper too...it's been a while since I read this book but believe me it's good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Sep 2014
Very accessible.

Introduction to Documentary
Introduction to Documentary by Bill Nichols (Paperback - 20 Dec 2010)