on 26 August 2014
First, a note about the Kindle edition that bears no reflection on the author: this was easily the most poorly "typeset" e-book that I have have read. The book was littered with small errors and occasional large ones where chunks of text had been duplicated—most irritating.

I remember JA as the voice of cricket on Test Match Special. I have "Cricketing Wides, Byes and Slips" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlotts-Cricketing-Wides-Slips-Audio/dp/1408409496) playing as I write this. I did not realise the breadth of his talent and erudition, or his capacity for wine. There is much interesting biographical detail in this book, but I didn't really enjoy reading it. I can't really put my finger on it; it was just something about the author's writing style that made reading seem like hard work.
on 6 December 2012
A carefully researched, honest and well written biography of a fascinating man. It is as a cricket commentator that we knew JA best, but his politics, poetry, love of books and enjoyment of wine combine with his time in the police force and friendship with an array of famous and interesting people to make this a hugely enjoyable book even, if not especially, for us non-cricketers.
John Arlott was an intelligent, erudite and generous man; I can think of few more interesting or entertaining people to invite to a dinner-party - this book makes me really wish I had known him.
on 29 June 2014
Excellent read. Interesting man. TMS no near his quality these days but neither are today's cricketers as good as those who went before them. There is an ordinariness about our world - as to TMS just compare Arlott with Boycott!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2013
Fond memories of radio commentaries as a kid whilst should have been doing exam revision. Also of staying up at night for the Centenary test
on 15 September 2014
A bit slow, very processional and bulked out from a chronological list of events and achievements. I felt saddened by the end as I found my opinion of an all time hero had been tainted!
on 23 September 2014
I felt the book was hard to engage with - maybe it was because Arlott himself was difficult to engage with. I found it hard to like either the book or Arlott himself!
on 16 July 2014
an excellent biography of the greatest cricket commentator ever
on 13 August 2014
A well written & informative book - a must for cricket lovers
on 6 July 2014
Ver.y interesting about his early life with more to follow
on 11 December 2015