4.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Too Young
I've been a huge fan of Hornby's since the early days, including his non-fiction, and this step into YA lit feels totally natural. After all, so many of his protagonists (including himself) are young men struggling to come to terms with adulthood and the responsibilities of "growing up." Here, the dilemma is much the same, however it's much more direct, and instead of a...
Published on 17 Oct 2007 by A. Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars The Woes of Teenage Parenthood
Athough I enjoyed reading this witty insight into teenage parenthood I did feel that maybe Hornby had written this for young adults. I would certainly recommend it as obligatory reading material for the early teens age group. Reading this would maybe help them to understand the problems of not considering the consequences of having a sexual relationship!
The story is...
Published on 2 Feb 2009 by LindyLouMac

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 2 May 2008
K. Kinsley (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
Really poor book. I feel cheated of spending money on it. Poorly written with nothing to say. Sam was unappealing and i couldn't care less what happened..he didn't seem to care about anything or anyone and seemed incapable of speaking! Conversations were stilted and story was just poor. The stupid bits where he flashed forward in life were ridiculous too. I was really disappointed and had been a big fan previously. I only hope Hornby can move on and up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 22 April 2008
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
I actually think this is the best book by Hornby since About a Boy.

Hornby had a great book with "About a boy" (please forget the movie and only watch it to waste some time AFTER having read the book). That was the first one I read by him. Then I read High Fidelity, which I thought was good, though not that good. How to be good and A long way down were ok, though I thought Hornby was getting a bit worse every time. Slam is a good comeback in my eyes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cliche teen lit, 16 Jun 2008
N. Chivers - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
Last time I read one of Hornby's books, I was in my twenties and the main characters were in their thirties. I have fond memories of reading these books. They spoke to me.

Now I'm in my thirties and the main character in this book is a teenager and I'm just not interested at all. Reading this is like being reminided that I'm old.

This book should be filed under teen fiction as teens are the true target demographic for it. Certainly all the things I found cliche - and there were a lot - might at least seem new to them.

3.0 out of 5 stars for hornby - disappointing, 26 May 2008
This review is from: Slam (Hardcover)
I have been a great fan of Nick Hornby's writing for a long, long time now. I enjoy his style, all his novels impressing me with their dry sarcasm and spot on observations.

Therefore, I was really looking forward to Slam - so maybe I expected too much. This has been his weakest work for me personally. It's still undeniably funny; due to Hornby being a brilliant writer. But something about the story left me feeling indifferent towards what I had read; it's not something that will stay with me, which is disappointing considering Hornby's normal standards.

1.0 out of 5 stars daft, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
Teenage pregnancy lost its shock value forty years ago..... the young couple are the ONLY unmarried youngsters at pre-natal sessions, spend a bit of time in the real world Nicko! Then we get this weird alternative universe time travel Harry Potter nonsense. Weird

1.0 out of 5 stars Slam - oh the irony., 22 Oct 2008
A. M. Walker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
I don't read many books, but I picked this one up on holiday at a book exchange. I gave up a reasonable Dick Francis novel, and not having read a Nick Hornby and heard that he was good, I went for Slam. I'd not done my research properly had I? Having read it, I'd have felt short changed handing in a blank piece of paper. This is dire. If I'd written this as part of my English GCSE coursework, it would have been returned with "waffle", "where's the story?" and "start again" written all over it.

I had to finish it in case there was an interesting twist, and I thought I'd found it in Chapter 16 when we meet a character that is only briefly mentioned earlier on. But no, it goes nowhere.

If you want to listen to a 15 year old skateboarder drone on about nothing, be my guest, but you've been warned. Credit though must go to Nick for writing so much quantity without any quality.

Allegedly, The Telegraph said: "Very funny... very real". eh? It's not funny at any point, and whizzing into the future is not part of my reality. Any interesting bits were written by TH (Tony Hawk) and not NH.
How did this get published?

If you're looking to read this book - do yourself a favour and do a one eighty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hornby's worst, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
I usually really enjoy reading Nick Hornby. Fever Pitch and High Fidelity are in my top 10 books ever. I also enjoyed A Long Way Down, but Slam is not only the worst Hornby I ever read, it's the worst book I ever read. It was also the first book I couldn't finish. Being 3/4 through I skipped to the end and saw that I probably didn't miss anything. It will not stop me to get more of his books, but this one will not go up in my shelf.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste hours of your life wading through this!, 25 Sep 2008
E. Jones (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
Don't know quite what was going on in Nick's head when he wrote this junk. And you know what? I'm not going to waste too much more of my life analysing it! All I need to tell you is that I got to the last page and actually threw the book on the floor in frustration and disappointment. It then went directly into the Recycling bin because I wouldn't risk inflicting this torture on anyone else! AND I only gave it one star because I'm impressed with Mr Hornby for managing to get it published it the first place. ARGH!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny way to get urself to sleep, 9 Aug 2008
S. Mcsweeney "shano" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
This book is a laugh, well written and perfect to turn you off at night. Buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Drivel, 30 Sep 2008
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
I was only able to get half way through the book, and that was after forcing myself to read past the first chapter.

Having read super reviews of Nick Hornby's books, I thought I should give them a go - what a disappointment!.

Apart from a ridiculous story line (previous reviews have shown how weak this is), the whole book is written in a "verbal diarrhoea" style - anything that pops into ones head goes straight onto the page. Its the sort of thing you could produce in one afternoon with a cup of tea and a dictaphone. Probably exactly what Nick Hornby did.

I won't be reading any of his other books - life's too short and there are too many good books around that deserve to be read.

Silverflora

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Slam
Slam by Nick Hornby (Paperback - 2 Jan 2014)