5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, uplifting, achingly hilarious
I loved this book. A good friend recommended it to me. I knew very little about it, but I trusted my friend's good taste. Warm, funny, uplifting, refreshing - Love, Nina was the book I savoured on returning home every day. Nina Stibbe's acute but uncomplicated views and observations of the extraordinary world in which she inhabits are life-affirming. So difficult to...
Published 8 months ago by deepversedandshallow

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a demanding read!
....but nor does the book demand to be read. There are occasional deadpan gems which really are 'laugh out loud' moments, but the constant references to people by initials or nicknames gets irritating very quickly. Some of these are listed at the front (but not alphabetically - which would have helped); the others you have to assume aren't important enough to merit a...
Published 6 months ago by MIddlestitch

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously funny, 10 Dec 2013
C. Chanona - See all my reviews
Poignant and hilarious you feel as if you really know each of the characters. All very likeable. The ending surprised me as it came very quickly and I wanted to carry on being in the lives of these people.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars huge fun, 21 Nov 2013
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a collection of letters written during the eighties by a nanny working with the London literati set. A few famous names appear, most notably Alan Bennett who must be the coolest funniest neighbour ever.

It would be easy to be churlish, it seems unlikely that these letters have not subsequently been polished and edited, the author never appears particularly likeable, but as pure Ritz Cracker, I know I shouldn't but I will just have another, they are great fun.

The overall effect is a slightly more grown up, female version of Adrian Mole, and a lot of very lucky people will doubtless get copies this Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious & very clever!, 13 Nov 2013
"Love Nina" is an absolutely hilarious book. The eccentricities of the family are portrayed so well & the one-liners from the 2 boys .. well, words fail me. I wonder if they are still as funny? I would definitely recommend and agree it would make a fantastic film.

4.0 out of 5 stars "I think one's allowed an involuntary snort...or two.", 1 Jan 2014
Sue Kichenside - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
So says Alan Bennett, frequent suppertime visitor to 55 Gloucester Terrace, as the family sits around discussing whether it's ok to laugh out loud when you're reading a funny book.

It is 1982 and Nina has left her Leicester home to work for Mary-Kay as nanny to her two sons, Sam and Will. This book is a collection of Nina's letters to her sister back home in the pre-email era long before the advent of LOLs, ROFLs and emoticons. It captures - brilliantly, and mainly through the use of inconsequential reported dialogue - a period that might as well be pre-historic!

It's little wonder Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life has become a word-of-mouth best-seller. Nina's honest young voice lacks all pretension and somehow speaks to us across the decades in a way that's utterly fresh and appealing. A very engaging read that provides a true snapshot of the 80s...and plenty of involuntary snorts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Tedious, 10 Jan 2014
I bought this book on the strength of all the effusive reviews which appeared in almost every national newspaper. I had an inkling that it might not be all it was cracked up to be but decided to read it anyway because I am fascinated by Alan Bennett and thought it might offer some amusing insights into this normally quite private man. Talk about Emperor's new clothes! What tedious, self serving drivel. It seems pretty clear to me that the ONLY reason this book got published was because the author (can one really describe her as such?) worked in publishing and undoubtedly kept in touch with her previous employer who is hugely well connected in the literary world. I really do wonder at the unanimous praise heaped on this tiresome little tome by some of our most respected writers. I mean come on Nick Hornby did we really read the same book? And all the descriptions of it being hugely and achingly funny. Really? Where? Some of the conversations of the two boys she was looking after raised the occasional wry smile but never laugh out loud belly laugh. In fact I think Nina Stibbe came over as really rather annoying (what is it with her and not wearing shoes?) and incredibly needy. Even after she leaves and goes to the Poly she seems to spend all her time back visiting them. Surely the only reason can have been that her very ordinary, rather boring life felt somehow more special by knowing famous and well connected people. Talk about a literary groupie. It makes me so cross to think of many potentially excellent manuscripts which may never see the light of day as a published book but this hagiography finds its way into print. Trees really should not have been cut down for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comic genius, 8 Nov 2013
An extremely funny book. A long time since I have been so entertained. Nina -- the Nanny -- is observant, sharp and quite absurd. All the 'characters' -- her charges, their mother, the cat Lucas/Jack, Alan Bennett, Jonathan Miller et al --are vividly portrayed and come across as immensely likeable. NB The book would make a wonderful Xmas present?

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Nina, 13 Feb 2014
I found it disappointingly boring and was tempted to stop reading it half way through. I thought it was repetitious and relied on the interest people would have in AB.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, 12 Jan 2014
For me this book was definitely not a page turner. I found the day to day detail of 'family life' quite boring and although I am generally reluctant to give up on a book I stopped reading about quarter of the way through.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea!, 8 Mar 2014
Spurred on by glowing reviews that promise a 'fresh and funny' book and even 'comic genius,' I looked forward to reading 'Love, Nina.' While it's mildly amusing, it certainly didn't live up to my expectations. The letters, without response, and often baffling initials by which the author refers to other characters, make it disjointed and, in my view, it is decidedly lightweight, so I abandoned it two thirds of the way through.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 5 Feb 2014
My wife and I both read this book which we both found disjointed and not really funny and got rather bored by it.

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 | Next ›

Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life
Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life by Nina Stibbe (Paperback - 27 Feb 2014)
6.29