5.0 out of 5 stars A real-life genuine shaman and her journey
Published on 14 Jun 2012 by London Gal

3.0 out of 5 stars it's OK
I was a bit disappointed in it and put it down a third of the way through. It could have got better but I didn't waste more time to find out. The writer came across as a very egotistical over consumer interested only in sex.
Published 12 months ago by Nefertari

5.0 out of 5 stars A real-life genuine shaman and her journey, 14 Jun 2012
London Gal (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
I've worked with Anna and she is the real deal - a gifted healer who uses shamanic practices to help people on their path to health and wellbeing. I've had amazing experiences with her myself. But until I read this book I did not know about her own personal journey. It is a gripping story, one that I could not put down. Whether you personally believe in shamanism or not, this is a great read that has it all - love, adventure, an exotic setting, unforgettable characters and people who become their better selves. I'm looking forward to reading it a second time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible and inspirational..., 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I've read. Ever. What an incredible journey Anna Hunt took when she went to Peru. I'm completely envious and in awe of what she did. The book is well written, captivating even and was hard to put down. This book was so good I didn't want it to end and now that it has I find I'm missing it. This book had quite a profound effect on me and has made me re-think a lot of things I took for granted.
Can't recommend this book enough. Read it and savour, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling read, destined to become a bestseller., 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
Beautifully written. I galloped through this book in 3 days and was utterly engrossed. The Shaman in Stilettos is an intelligent, witty, erotic story of a city princess who embarks upon a life changing adventure in Peru. There, she meets a very desirable shaman who teaches her a thing or two!
Anna Hunt maintains a healthy balance of dry British scepticism contrasted with a deep respect for the traditions of the Amazon.
The Shaman in Stilettos is proof that one does not need to sacrifice all the materialistic delights of modern life to explore ancient wisdom dating back some 40.000 years.
No 'airy- fairyness', just an intelligent, honest, sometimes hilarious account of an extraordinary journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars That treasure: a great read that is actually a true story..., 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
I was utterly transported by this book. It's so compelling, one's more than likely to finish it in one sitting. It has the effortless edibility of a satisfying holiday romance, the adventure of an Indiana Jones film - with a female heroine - but the added intellectual kudos of being a true story with the accuracy and detail of a topographical or metaphysical treatise.

Hunt has a very immediate and accessible writing style that dances through the mind, memorably sketching the people she encounters, vividly painting whole landscapes in the mind's eye and conjuring emotions and atmospheres she experienced with such immediacy, one almost experiences them for oneself.

Apart from being entertainingly written, it's a privilege to read about such things when they are shared so disarmingly frankly and clearly. Whilst Hunt's enjoyment of the journey is palpable, she also includes the nagging doubts, impatience and cynicism. The lasting impression, however, is of the energy here. Energy that sparks off the page and promises to ignite beyond. Congratulations, Anna Hunt. I can't wait to read "The Further Adventures of the Shaman in Stilettos"!

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting, transformative adventure!, 12 July 2012
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
The Shaman In Stilettos is an adventurous read!

And its fun too.

Whether you know anything about shamanism or not you will definitely identify with the humanity explored within. It transports us to the depths of jungles, bustling cities and far away retreats. We share the fascinating lure of ancient Peru, the quest to discover and harness the real you and the daily (and often hilarious) doubts and reservations one would encounter when embarking on something so unique and far from your norm.

Its an uplifting journey, full of inspiration and daring - and chocolate. Lots of chocolate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a fantastic summer read!, 9 July 2012
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
Plenty of intriguing adventure and discoveries combined with hot passion and romance. It was wonderful to learn more about Shamanism and the art of healing. Thank you Anna for having facilitated the passing on of this great ancient wisdom and showing us how it can be incorporated into our fast paced modern lives, entwined into a gripping story.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's OK, 5 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
I found this compelling reading; the subject matter is fascinating and the author's voice is authentic and easy to empathise with.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like Sophie Kinsella, you'll love this., 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
When I initially saw the ratings for this book on Amazon, I was a bit surprised. Only glowing five-star reviews? Delving a bit deeper, I found some not-so-glowing reviews on Goodreads. Though these made me hesitant, as fascinated as I am by shamanism, I decided to purchase the book anyway.

My disappointment in this book has prompted me to write my first-ever Amazon review. Lighter reading I expected, but not THIS light. I'm sure that Ms. Hunt is an intelligent and sincere shaman who takes her work seriously, but this does not come across in her writing. The story does not flow or unfold. It simply plods along, with chapters ending in trite summations. Rather than feeling inspired by her transformation, we are distracted by the sort of stereotypical female psychosis you might expect from the latest Sophie Kinsella novel.

I appreciate that Ms. Hunt was attempting to make shamanism accessible to the layperson, but it feels far too dumbed down. Not inspiring. Not empowering. Some will appreciate her candor and the no-holds-barred approach to her learning (namely, her obsession with her mentor). I, however, found myself at the end of the novel feeling very let down.

For those who like popular chick lit, have a go. For those interested in shamanism, look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars An advert in a book?, 21 April 2013
D. Toms (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shaman in Stilettos (Paperback)
As the book progressed I increasingly got the impression that the story was designed to promote the Shaman in Stiletto's shamanic business. I also got sick of the 'held my gaze a moment too long' swooning and the never ending lust. It became obvious this aspect of the story was exaggerated to keep the chick lit fans interested. However, I did enjoy the journey overall, even if it is 'spirituality lite'. Way too much brand-bragging, not enough of the transformation side and the realities of being on powerful psychoactive drugs.

The Shaman in Stilettos
The Shaman in Stilettos by Anna Hunt (Paperback - 7 Jun 2012)
6.29