on 11 October 2000
In my opinion, this is the best from Catherine Alliott to date and i want to congratulate her on it. It is unusual in that it isn't exactly like the modern books of today, i.e. slightly scatty woman in her 30's, wants love, has a great group of friends etc etc, not that there's anything wrong with those traits, but this book includes all that and takes it a step further. In parts, its light reading but is a real page turner, i had to stop myself frequently from reading on ahead of myself. It covers a variety of aspects and isn't all about one thing, at times you laugh (Catherine Alliott is the one of the few authors who can make me actually laugh out loud) , at times you cry. There are twists and turns in every chapter that keep you guessing right till the last moment and i definitely recommend it to anyone who loves to read. I don't want to say too much about the storyline because there's so much to tell and i don't want to spoil it for anyone. You haven't got to be a particularly type of person to get stuck into this book, just read it and enjoy...!
on 3 September 2001
This book will have you laughing till your sides ache and the tears streaming down your face form puddles under your chin.I felt the characters to be wonderfully human with all their ups and down.Earlier on in the story Libby had come very close to doing the very same thing that Alf had done, the choice of weapon was different ,as were the motives ,but it shows how one person was ale to hold back while the was unable to. I loved the builders sub plot.This is a highly entertaining read ,I look forward to the next book by Catherine Alliot,I hope the lovely summer hasn't kept her from her keyboard.
on 17 October 2000
As a huge Catherine Alliott fan, I ordered Olivia's Luck months ago, determined to save it until Christmas when I'd have some time to indulge myself. Not a chance! I was hooked on the first page - have just finished it - and have got to say it is not only Catherine Alliott's best ever book, but simply the best novel I've read for years. The characters are real, three-dimensional, impossible to be fictional (I feel like I'd recognise them in the street!), and the plotlines weave in and out, making the book a can't-put-down page-turner. No one story line turns out as you'd expect it to, and each one leads neatly into another twist, making the book multi-layered and brilliantly paced and plotted. The writing is superb, the humour truly funny, and the sad parts very emotional. Olivia's Luck has warmth, depth, intelligence, and a big, big story. I'd like to congratulate Catherine on achieving this, and say that I honestly can't recommend this book highly enough. Buy this for everyone you know for Christmas and they'll love you for ever!
on 2 November 2001
Olivia is married with a ten year old daughter named Claudia. She thinks that she has the ideal life, until her husband Johnny leaves her for a nursery teacher, at her child's school. Olivia is understandably devastated, but then, as events unfold, bringing her arrogant, if gorgeous, husband's secrets to life, Olivia actually starts to wonder if she ever really knew Johnny as well as she used to believe...
I really enjoyed this story, and Catherine Alliott was certainly on form; this is another fun, yet sensitive, novel, although Alliott has yet to produce anything that I find quite as totally brilliant as her first novel, "The Old Girl Network".
on 23 May 2001
It seemed perfect timing to publish this novel just as we hit a heat wave in Britain! I have spent a thoroughly enjoyable time reading the exploits of Livvy and her family and friends. Livvy as the main character is very believable, and is supported by a lively cast of 3 dimensional characters who added humour, drama, and emotion to the plot. Just one thing freaked me out about Livvy - just who wouldn't she leave her child with???? Or is it the norm to leave your 10 year old with the builders? And then to accuse Sebastian of being a child molester! However, I absolutely loved the character of Claudia, who seemed to sum up the "tweenie" age perfectly. I agree with the previous reviewer that the sub plot with the builders seemed to come out of the blue at the end, but I did enjoy the sub plots of Molly and Imogen. The irony of the ending for Johhny adds emotion and purpose to the story. As I said at the beginning, a great read, and I'm looking forwards to the next!
on 10 July 2001
This is the first of Catherine Allot books I've read but it certainly won't be the last. I'm usually so good at predicting what will happen next but this book had lots of little twists and turns. I loved her 10yr old daughter and the best bit of the book for me, was the conversation they once had, on the way to school, when 'Livvy' was definitly NOT paying attention to what her daughter was telling her, she was so wrapped up in the events that had happend to HER the previous evening, it was cleverly written and very very funny. To summorise, its one of those books, that when u come to the end, you place it on your lap, lie back, give a gentle sigh and smile!
on 6 January 2005
I have never considered myself a reader but after reading A Married Man, then Olivia's Luck, and most recently Rosie Meadows Regrets, I feel like a book worm! I love Alliot and simply cannot get enough! I wish I could pick up her books in local bookstores!
on 31 May 2005
One of those books that reads so easily that you finish it too fast. I loved every page and I can't wait to read all of Catherine's other books!
on 7 February 2011
Aside from the casual but fortunately only ocassional use of homophobic language and a tendancy for characters to drink and drive, this is a brilliant read.

I've never read a Catherine Alliot book before but I will definitely be purchasing more of her work. It's interesting, engaging, full of twists and turns and tells much more of a story than your run of the mill broken hearted woman.

You feel frustrated with Olivia when she muddles blindly through situations that you've already figured out, and you want to shake her out of her love for Johnny. But you also celebrate with her during the wonderful times and laugh along with the witty, warm narration.

I can't say that the material is something I particularly relate to and my life couldn't be further away from the life of the main character but I enjoyed it immensely anyway, which is a testament to how great the writing is.

And Olivia's daughter, Claudia is one of the best characters ever written! Genius.
on 8 February 2001
Olivia's Luck is a wonderful book, which once started is difficult to put down. The characters stay in your mind even when you're not actually reading the book - like good friends. The only reason why I have not given this book a five star rating is that Old Girl Network is such a brilliant, side splittingly funny book (I read it on a plane and got many an angry look as I woke my fellow passengers up with my uncontrollable laughter), that merits the five stars, whereas Olivia's Luck is not quite in that league. Excellent stuff - can't wait for the next one - I gave many of my friends this book for Christmas.