5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable
Published on 31 July 2003 by Dr. C. L. Partridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for predictable endings
Couldn't predict the "twist" in the ending ? I'm amazed by the other reviews. I saw it coming like a ten tonne truck!
This is a fun book that's ideal for lazying by the pool or on the beach.
It tells the story of a woman left to cope with life, children and her emotions after the death of her husband.
She uproots from her city life ( for all kinds of...
Published on 4 Sep 2003 by Cath

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 31 July 2003
Dr. C. L. Partridge (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
This book has everything in it: laughter; sadness; real emotion; not to mention a brilliant story line. I thought I could predict the ending quite early on but was pleasantly surprised to find that the author had chosen to weave a completely new thread into the story that really did leave you guessing until the end. "A married man" is very well written and I found it hard to put down at times. I would recommend it if you like chic lit with a bit more depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars BLOODY BRILLIANT - BEST BOOK IN AGES !!, 6 Jan 2004
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
To say I couldn't put this book down is an understatement - literally I read it in 2 days flat - Didn't want to go to bed but had to! Woke early the next morning to read it - call me sad but it's true.
Catherine Alliott is an extremely gifted writer and I love how she leaves you hanging at the end of every chapter so you just have to read on and on and on and on .....
Can't wait to read her next book. Am gonna read all her previous books - this was the first oe I have read of hers - hope they are just as good!!
BRILLIANT !!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 1 Oct 2003
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
I've been waiting for this book to be written for ages and it was well worth the wait! i've loved all her books since reading the old girl network , and this one has to be my favorite. I had to try my hardest not to wake my newborn little girl whilst reading it as i was laughing so much , plus it isn't your typical girly book with not alot of substance , you'll laugh and cry at all her misshaps! keep them coming Catherine!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has your heart in your mouth, 16 Aug 2004
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
I borrowed this book from the villa we stayed at recently on holiday and have never read a book by this author before, though I will go and find some of her previous titles very shortly. I loved this book. I particularly liked the way that it was about one person and that with each chapter the story just carried on, rather than jumping all over the place as some books do. The tension between her and Charlie was just so realistic, I could feel the anticipation and lust as though I was there with him. It was a sheer joy to read and made getting up with the little ones at 5.30am every day well worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - a non-put-downer!!!!, 29 Feb 2004
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
Catherine Alliott just gets better and better. I stumbled across her first book, "Old Girls' Network" by chance, and am I glad I did. "A Married Man" is her best book to date. I just couldn't put this book down. The suspense you're left in at every chapter just makes the book even more fantastic. Catherine Alliott leaves you wanting more with the end of this book. It takes real life issues and turns them into laughable scenarios. Who wants to live in "real life" all the time anyway? Pure escapism! Buy this book! You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny compasionate novel, 20 Aug 2003
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
An abolutly brilliant novel. An easy read yet difficult to put down. I thought it would be a boy meets girl type but the twist near the end threw me completly. Alliott deals with difficult subjects with thoughtfulness and humour. The first Catherine Alliott that I have read. I look forward to the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 30 Aug 2003
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
I have loved all th Allliot books from stumbling upon them when she first published The old-girl network. This one is another great, I must admit I cried at the beginning laughed in the middle and was once again was sorry when I came to the end knowing that I will have to wait yet again for another of her books to "come out".
I have enjoyed others better, Rosie Meadows being my fave out of all of them.
However if you love reading "people books" as I call them (funny tales of life) do buy it, read it and enjoy.......

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for predictable endings, 4 Sep 2003
Cath (Leeds United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
This is a fun book that's ideal for lazying by the pool or on the beach.
She uproots from her city life ( for all kinds of reasons) and heads for the countryside. There she meets some rather stereotyped, posh rural characters ( her husband's family). She also falls for a married man.
The plot is a bit lame. But there are some genuinely touching moments. The author does bring some credibility to the novel with some poignant and emotional moments. At times there is some real writing from the heart.
It's pure chick-lit ( albeit the topic is a bit more grown-up than the usual " I can't find Mr. right" plot). Don't expect anything else.

2.0 out of 5 stars tiresome, 4 July 2010
Lex (bucks uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
Is is one of the more forgetable 'chick lit' books I have read.
I didn't mind the plot being predictable because these types of books often are.
It was interesting enough and there was a satifying enough twist but the main character Lucy felt totally unconvincing.
She seems to be a terrible mother, forever leaving her kids to run off with men, and forgetting to let them know where she will be and who will looking after them.
In one part she tells them to 'jump in the bath' while she dashes off to do something more important. One of the children is 4, really, bathing alone?
Also just after they have the most tramatic experiances of their lifes, she leaves them to pop round her boyfriends house for.... well whatever.
I found this really annoying and unrealistic, and made for a pretty unlikeable person.
The book is littered with little patches of snobbery, and shallowness, and a crazy hectic life is supposed to forgive Lucy her slip ups.
Theres lots of self rightous speeches and quickly made judgements that seem quick common in this genre, and if done well are ok, but these were littered with dialouge that no actual person would use.
Well I didn't work for me, it just made reading the whole thing frustrating and I had no sympathy for a character who if actually exsisted I wouldn't give the time of day.

4.0 out of 5 stars A train journey that turns into a rollercoaster, 18 Oct 2003
This review is from: A Married Man (Paperback)
Having read Catherine Alliott's books before I looked forward to what she would offer in A Married Man. Alliott has the ability to focus on every type of emotion that mankind has thrown at them in whatever walk of life we may be in. Alliott's books always differ but she always draws you to the emotion being addressed until you feel you are living the character. A Married Man begins like a long train journey through the countryside on a grey autumn day and it is not until half way through the book do you get the sense of urgency of not being able to leave the book down. Alliott draws you into the character's life and when you think that no other emotion could be drawn on, that is when Alliott speeds up the train journey which turns in to a rollercoaster of a ride with twists and turns at every corner. The rollercoaster becomes faster with every emotion, eventually bringing you slowly down to the train journey that we began with through the countryside only ending on a bright summer's day.
I have rated this book with 4 stars as I felt that the story was a little slow to get into. A worthwhile read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Married Man
Married Man by Catherine Alliot (Paperback - 1 May 2012)