Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 September 2014
Disappointingly repetitive and although based upon scientific observations, told me nothing I could not observe for myself. I was hoping for more of an insight into cat behaviour from a cat authority. Interesting facts and well written though.
on 9 January 2014
Im studying feline behaviour and am always on the look out for new books to keep my knowledge up to date. I found this to be an easy and informative read with information I already knew but also some interesting information that was new, I particulary liked the chapter on cats in the future and the authors perspective on some interesting points on the over neutering of cats and how it could affect cat friendliness and temperment in the future. Overall an interesting read.
on 30 January 2014
I'm a cat behaviourist in London, [...] and bought this book on recommendation. It was everything I had hoped for and has been written by someone with a deep understanding of cats and how, we as humans, should approach them. If you want to understand your cat more I would suggest this is the book for you.
on 29 September 2015
This book is written by a cat lover who is also an academic/scientist and these two things are clear throughout the book. He owns and likes cats and is intellectually stimulated by them and wants to find more about what makes them tick (Good luck with that!) Unlike many books on cats that just make unsubstantiated claims regarding their origins, habits and idiosyncrasies Bradshaw describes the research and sometimes experiments that are behind some of the things he says and this does make for a more satisfying read than may otherwise be the case. I've enjoyed the book and found it interesting. The insights into cats are seldom breath-taking more at the "Oh really" level. Sometimes at "You needed to research this?" "Any cat lover would know this" level. I recommend this to any cat servant who wants to know more about his/her mistress/master.
on 13 September 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It's intelligent, interesting and well-written by an author who clearly understand cat psychology.

Would recommend this to anyone who loves cats and wants to understand their instincts and behaviour.
on 31 May 2014
Lots of interesting stuff about cats as you might expect, though there did seem to be a lot of repetition of the same facts in the earlier chapters. Having acquired two feral cats from the Cats Protection League over 3 years ago as 10-month old youngsters, I was hoping to have tamed them by now to the point that they would happily come indoors and sit on the sofa. It was fascinating to learn why this was unlikely ever to happen (perhaps I should have read the book before agreeing to take on ferals! They are quite happy living out of doors and will come when called but they'll never be house cats). Recommended reading for anyone who wants to know more about what makes cats tick.
on 5 October 2014
A great and very enlightening book - a must for all who want or need to understand their cat - if possible. The history of human relationships with cats is too drawn out, especially as it is quite unpleasant in some ways. Humans have a very chequered relationship with felines.
Much more interesting are the elements relating to initial socialisation of cats and of their extraordinary faculties. They lead their own very private lives and they are not easy to understand. I benefitted greatly from reading this book and I will never look at my cat in the same way again. I am in total awe and I thank John Bradshaw for his insights.
on 25 August 2013
This book encompasses the history of the cat as it evolved from wild cat to domestic goddess. Cat's unlike dogs have attracted worship and opprobrium in equal measure through the ages - they've even fallen foul of the Catholic Church. John Bradshaw makes the point that what we see as natural aloofness is probably borne of the cat's need in the wild to hid anxiety and fear because unlike more social animals like dogs, cats compete against each other as well as other species for territory and food. He confirms what many cat lovers have always suspected, that they are sensitive creatures who do not react well to abrupt changes in territory ie house moves, or stays in catteries, or the introduction of another cat which is not a litter mate into their surroundings.
The most interesting parts of the book are the examination of whether cats really are the sole cause of the reduction in song birds in some areas(Bradshaw thinks not)and his explanation for why cats may hunt less than we think. Bradshaw also suggests owners should train their cats because they would then find certain situations less stressful, thus debunking the myth that cats cannot be trained. He also explains why we can train dogs to retrieve a ball but not a cat(probably) and it's nothing to do with IQ, and finally he has a section on the future of the cat which is the most interesting. Are we really doing the right thing by neutering moggies who are friendly and don't hunt much, thus leaving the less friendly to humans to breed?
An excellent book well worth the money my only criticism is Bradshaw doesn't explain the curious bond between cat and woman - from the ancient Egyptians who drew domestic scenes with the cat sat under the mistress's chair and the use of the Egyptian word for cat as a girl's name. To the same phenomena in ancient Rome, then the persicutions of the 17 century when cat's and women where accused of witchcraft and being the devil's familiar's.
Perhaps some phenomena are beyond explanation
on 10 September 2013
A really interesting and fascinating book well written and full of information worth the read
Chris Strike (a non cat owner)
on 6 October 2013
A very interesting insight for cat lovers. It's a book that you can delve into, wouldn't have to be read in one go.