5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read
I'd read four novels by Marian Keyes before reading this one; "Watermelon", "Lucy O'Sullivan is Getting Married", "Sushi for Beginners" and "The Other Side of the Story". I've also read her autobiographical scrapbook-of-events book, "Under the Duvet". I like Keyes' style very much; I find it warm and extremely funny. "Last Chance Saloon" is no exception.

The...
Published on 28 Dec 2007 by Vawns

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great.
Three stars for a Keyes novel? Can this be? Unbelievable but true. Yes, she is the queen of 30-something chick Lit. Yes, you have to read the latest Marian Keyes novel, (just as you had to go and see B.Jones, the movie, even though we'd all read the book AND had the obligatory crush on Colin Firth since he walked out of the lake). No, she's no longer writing in the...
Published on 15 Aug 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read, 28 Dec 2007
Vawns (Dublin / Basingstoke) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)

The book centres around three characters, Tara, Katherine and Fintan who are best friends since "they were teenagers in Knockavoy, County Clare in the days of legwarmers, pink stretch jeans and Duran Duran". Now in their early thirties, they live in London and each is facing their own set of challenges.

Tara is on a permanent diet and stuck in the relationship from hell. She is convinced that love has passed her by and that her only hope for a happy ever after is to stay with the dreadful Thomas.

Katherine lives in ordered calm with her matching bra and knicker sets. She is successful and driven in work but is determined to be single forever and is known as "The Ice Queen" by her colleagues.

Fintan is, on the surface, the luckiest of the three as he has a hugely successful career and has found true love in the shape of his "Italian Pony" Luca.

The three have remained close friends but fate has conspired to make each of them re-evaluate their lives. Will Tara ever find the strength to dump Thomas or is she destined to stay unhappy forever? Will she and Rav ever be more than just good friends? Will Katherine ever relax and be happy? Will she let down her defences just for a second to allow Joe the handsome new colleague at work, in? Will Fintan be able to recover from the shock that lies just around the corner? Will life ever be the same again?

This book is multi faceted and explores themes not always found in a novel like this. Tara struggles with weight issues and depression and Katherine has a fear of commitment. The novel describes how both Tara and Katherine deal with their issues whilst supporting Fintan overcome serious illness.

I enjoyed the novel very much and I loved most of the characters, particularly Tara and Rav. The story is well written and is very easy to identify with the protagonists.

If you've read Marian Keyes before and enjoy her writing style, I definitely recommend this novel to you. If you haven't but enjoy romantic and funny contemporary books aimed at women, then I'd also recommend this to you as it is such a fantastic story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and "serious" book, 2 Aug 2006
Youla (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
I loved this one (as all of Marian's)... I saw another reviewer saying that she was awake until 3am to read on and find out what happens - but I'm even worse, as I stayed up until 3am (well, 2am to be precise) to RE-READ the book!

The three stories of the main characters touch upon different life situations which most of us have come across one way or another, and are therefore very touching. However, even the serious situations are made lighter through Marian's usual and well-loved humour.

The underlying message that we should enjoy our life is very strong - and useful...

A very good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars This one's a keeper, 10 Jan 2005
bikeshopgirl (O'Connor, ACT Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
Let me begin by saying that I cannot stand 'Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel'. Although they are marketed to the same demographic, there is no way should you confuse Keyes with Fielding's neurotic, pathetic, 2D schlock.
Sadly, when I first read 'Last Chance Saloon' I was in the confident bloom of my twenties & its truths went straight over my head. My verdict at the time was that it wasn't as engaging as 'Watermelon' or 'Rachel's Holiday', but having re-read it five years later I bow my head in shame. Keyes clearly has some Irish gypsy mojo going on that she was able to predict my (and many others') future so well. If I had paid a little closer attention to the incredibly human detail of this novel, I might have saved myself three years of the confidence dissolving agony that comes with dating & then being engaged to a manipulative loser.
My lesson from this? I've resolved that the next time I think I'm in love with someone, I will read a Marian Keyes novel & have a long hard think about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabuously Funny Book, 27 Oct 2006
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
Excellent ! This was the first of Marian Keyes books I have read and thoroughly enjoyed it. Laughs from start to finish with an excellent storyline. The characters are strong and well defined with the right amount of description, sympathy etc for each. I shall certainly be reading more of her books and would think that she would appeal to most female readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 19 Feb 2004
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
I am not a huge fan of this new breed of so called "Chick Lit", however, whilst browsing in a local charity shop for a good book, something that takes me ages normally, I spotted Last Chance Saloon by Marion Keyes and thought, what the hell, read it and see what all the fuss is about. I took it home and literally couldn't put it down, I have read it and reread it and I love it so much it would have to be in my top ten of best books ever. The characters are so real, from Tara, with her awful relationship with Thomas and her obsession with food, to Katherine and her cold demeanour and her eventual thawing with Joe. I loved it, I hated Lorcan and was so happy when he met his comeuppance. I have bought more Marian Keyes and am in the process of reading them as we speak. Long Live Chick Lit!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 9 Dec 2005
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
If you want a book that will make you laugh and cry, then this is the one for you. I loved this book and I couldn't put it down. The best line in the book has to be the one that follows Tara's body wrap experience commenting that she looked like she had just been exhumed. As I had just had a body wrap myself and knew all to well the exhumed look, I was almost falling off the chair laughing at this observation. There were many more observations that had me nodding and laughing in agreement too.
There is also an underlying message in this book that life is short and that we should make the most of it whilst we have it. I would love to read this book again. If you buy this book you certainly won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 11 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
Marian Keyes is undoubtedly my favourite author of this genre - as usual she has managed to strike the right balance between pathos and humour with the well drawn characters who feature in this novel as well as the plot. The book was extremely well written, excellent dialogue with characters the reader could empathise & sympathise with - as well as the ones you hate. I managed to read it in just over 2 days (with a job & baby) so that shows how compelling it is.
Anyone out there at a crossroads in life and not sure which path to take - then this book is for you as it certainly would force you to re-evaulate your life.
Again, as with Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, I laughed out loud several times whilst reading this book. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT TO RELAX TO, 17 Aug 2006
Ms. A. Cox "Book obsessive" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
At times you find yourself getting increasingly frustrated with the characters Katherine and Tara and their inability to move on from relationships that have had or are having a bad effect on their personalities and preventing them from being the sort of women they think they are, strong and independent.

But everyone can relate to this inability, this self destructive tendency we have instilled in us to use as a defence mechanism when our relationships are not going as planned. But while this book raises important issues it also approaches them in a light hearted easy to read way with some witty observations.

4.0 out of 5 stars a very funny and moving book that covers issues of real life, 22 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
this book is the second book that i have read by marian keyes. comparing it to 'lucy sullivan is getting married' i would say that it is not as good, perhaps because the theme of the books are very similar. however the book does relate to real topics of every day life, such as cancer. the way it has been written is sensitive to the issue and can also be quite informative. this is definetely a book worth reading if you like stories on love and romance that is not as straight forward as it seems.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent you have to read it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 30 April 2003
NJ Ward "Nikki noo" (Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
What a brilliant book i love marian keyes books and have read them all . it was sad in places , made me laugh out load in places and filled me with the warmth that all her books do . if you have never read a marian keyes book please do , you will want to read them all .

Last Chance Saloon
Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes (Paperback - 2 Aug 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01