4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic Writing At It's Best
Catherine Alliott always knows hows to write a likeable character that jumps off the page with realism. And this time was no different...
Published on 23 Jun 2004 by suez1979

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny!
I did enjoy this book which I purchased after reading Oliva's Luck. The lead character of Polly is funny as a city girl out of water in the country scene. Particularly liked the horse awards at the beginning! However I have to say that I much prefered Oliva's Luck to this as the storyline was a tad predictable and did not have as many storylines running throught it.
Published on 6 May 2001 by Walsall Wench

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic Writing At It's Best, 23 Jun 2004
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
The story of Polly Penhalligan carried on from 'The Old Girl Network' had me intrigued from the word 'go'. Her seemingly perfect life is speckled with bouts of realistic flaws that we all suffer from in real life that make this novel leap at you as you find yourself relating to situations and moments that Polly is experiencing. It makes her real. And everyone loves to read about 'real' characters with a 'real' story to tell. And this is what Catherine Alliott has done - and she tells the story brilliantly.
Having read each and every novel of Catherine Alloitt's, I'm an admirer of her ability to turn imaginary characters in her mind to truthful, charasmatic, geniune people on paper. And it doesn't stop, the story just keeps on going...
A fantastic read. I took four of her novels with me on holiday and read each of them three times before I got back home. Riveting!

4.0 out of 5 stars unputdownable!, 24 Mar 2004
Claire, Lulu "Lulu" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
I read the Old Girl Network just after Xmas and thought it was brilliant so when i learned there was a sequal i had to ruch out to buy it! I was not disappointed! From start to finish Polly has you locked in her fantasy world where anything is possible! She agrees to lend her home and land to a film crew and its "actors" for their new ad this as can be imagined sparks this hilarious witty book giving everyone who has ever been bored, tired or just down right unenthusiastic a taste of their own medicine! it is well worth the read it will have you giggling and wondering into the early hours! A tad predictable i suppose but downright excellent! Deffinately not the last of Alliots i will be reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, 6 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely hilarious romp, 13 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
I lent this one to a girlfriend of mine with a warning "you may laugh so much that you'll wet yourself". That she almost did.
Forget Bridget Jones and others in the genre this is by far the best! Never will you look at a green shield stamp in the same way without rememer the gynacologists scene. Interested - well read more.
I describe the humour as posh Victoria Wood. The kind of humour where one laughs because she gets it exactly spot on. Ever tried to give up smoking or ever tried to diet. Have you ever put you foot where your mouth should be and then dug yourself into a deeper hole. Then this book is for you - in fact you may ask has the author met you. Read - you will not be dissapointed

1.0 out of 5 stars Going too far, 19 Feb 2010
L. Tann-Watson "Lynne" (North West Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
I bought this book on the strength of a later Catherine Alliott book I had enjoyed but was severely disappointed. The main character was unbearably silly...the sort of person who, in real life you would go out of your way to avoid. The situations were painful and embarassing. I have to admit I put it down part way through and never bothered to pick it up again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really funny and hard to put down., 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Going Too Far (Kindle Edition)
I took this book on holiday and sat in the garden one afternoon reading it and laughing out loud! The next morning the people staying in the next door cottage asked what I had been reading that I'd found so funny and when I told them they said that they had not come across Catherine Alliott before but it sounded like the sort of book that they would enjoy too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Going Too Far (Kindle Edition)
Once again, one of my favourite authors has entertained me for 2 days with a wonderfully crafted book. This one was pure escapism, not least because the main character Polly, is completely barking mad, but because Ms Alliott has a real knack of witty writing and concocting fabulous story lines. This was humorous and serious at the same time, and with Polly's scatty personality, I found myself loving her character even more than I did in The Old Girl Network. I have most of Alliott's books on my Kindle and so far I have enjoyed them all. Still got about 4 to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good easy reading!, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Going Too Far (Kindle Edition)
I very much enjoyed this book as with all Catherine Alliott - great for holidays when you just need to relax and not think too hard!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth reading., 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
I really enjoy reading books by this writer. I intend to buy all her books eventually. A read a awful lot of books.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't recommend it, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
I am sorry to say that I had to give up on this book, the main character was extremely shallow and unlike able. The fact of the first few chapters sees her decide to let a TV commercial be filmed at her working farm without telling her husband was beyond stupid especially as it is a dog commercial and it's lambing season. I certainly wouldn't recommend it

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Going Too Far
Going Too Far by Catherine Alliott (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
5.59