4.0 out of 5 stars wedding day
I enjoy this author.I could not put wedding day book down .I will look for other books by this author
Published 19 months ago by anne harris

Published 1 day ago by J R L Clarke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars 00pm and on page 400 we are told “it was a beautiful evening” and that the sun is “was sinking low ..., 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Kindle Edition)
I thought the Longest Day was about the Normandy Landings until I read The Wedding Day. On page 368, Annie wakes up in Devon to learn that her fiancé has attempted suicide and is in the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. On page 370 we are told that it is 9.00 am. Annie drives to London (on page 375 she arrives “some hours later”) then “weaves her way through the busy streets to the Fulham Road”, parks up, “made” herself walk rather than run through the jostling crowds, and at the hospital encounters her fiance’s aunt and has a conversation with her that lasts from page 376 to 383. By my reckoning it’s now about 2.00 pm, and we’re into the next chapter. She visits her fiancé and talks everything through for the whole of this chapter, then goes and sits in her car “for a long while.” It must be getting on for 4.00pm by now and she knows that “after a four-hour drive from Devon….plus another hour to Cornwall” she should spend the night in London but, instead, just pops home to collect the post before setting off on page 399 for “a long drive” and, “just as the evening sun was setting” gets to her friend’s house in Trebetherick. It should, by now, be about 10.00pm and on page 400 we are told “it was a beautiful evening” and that the sun is “was sinking low and pink over the water.” Annie then has a conversation with her friends Rosie and Dan which lasts for nine pages. She then drives to Taplow House but gets stuck behind “the slowest tractor in the West country” behind which she crawls while she reads her post. When she gets to Taplow House, she finds Madeleine Malone in “the gloom of the timbered sitting room.” They talk for eight pages, then Annie runs to find Matt and the children. No mention of it being dark, but it must be getting on for midnight. Then there’s a showdown that goes on for a long time, Madeleine drives away with the boy and Matt walks off, and Annie finds him sitting on the rocks. “The sun had gone behind the water now, and an evening wind began to stir….the green hills opposite were losing their colour, turning to iron grey in the twilight.” Matt and Annie sort things out. Why aren’t they tired? I’m exhausted. But yet another visitor, Louise, turns up who on page 441 is able to run down the terrace steps without a torch. They all sit in the garden and Matt goes inside to “fetch a bottle” (not mugs of Horlicks) during which time Madeleine returns with Tod. They had got as far as Launceston where there’d been a different showdown. That must have taken a while. Padstow to Launceston and back would take a couple of hours - plus the showdown. (“He wouldn’t speak to me,” Madeleine said, “But eventually I made him talk.” See what I mean?) On page 449 Louise says that Madeleine can’t possibly drive all the way back to Cambridge and should spend the night. Oh good, is it night time? Are we nearly there? On page 450, Annie notices that it is almost dark and on page 451 that the heavens were “clear, dark and relentlessly deep, and now with a smattering of stars.” We’re getting there, then. She finds Matt, they sort things out and are caught kissing by the children. Matt hands a wad of tenners to them and tells them to catch the ferry to Padstow and get a pizza, then go around the town(because, clearly the shops are still open) spending “the rest on mindless junk” but to GET BACK BY TEN o'CLOCK. Yes, all this in one day.

4.0 out of 5 stars wedding day, 1 Feb 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Chewing the thumb, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Kindle Edition)
I have read a few of catherine alliott books and this particular one was very good except for one thing which seems to crop up in all her books. I have had to stop reading a couple of her books as it seems every other page she constantly writes "She/I bit her thumb" of "chewed her thumb". It seems to be a phrase that she inserts when she needs something to write. I find it extremely annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love!, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Kindle Edition)
I love Catherine Alliott. Absolutely perfect holiday read. I wish she would bring books out quicker as I totally just eat them as soon as they arrive!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Kindle Edition)
Bought this to read on holiday and was not disappointed. This is a really enjoyable story and the characters are very believable.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!!!, 17 Oct 2013
F. Smith (Norwich England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Paperback)
This was the first CA book i read, totally love loved it and have been searching for all her books ever since round car boots and charity shops, happy to say i nearly have the lot now and i am ploughing through each book. This one and "The Old Girl Network" so far have been my favorites but they are all enjoyable, really good stories, well written, the main characters are always funny and getting into scrapes.
The main character in this book made me laugh and although I did guess how it would end up - it was very enjoyable reading it all the same! 9/10 for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars The wedding day by Catherine Elliott., 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Kindle Edition)
This book is easy to read and I couldn't put it down.
I will definitely be trying another of her book's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riviting, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Kindle Edition)
Throughly enjoyed this read, like her other books, extremely hard to put down! Would recommend for a holiday read or anytime!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 25 July 2013
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book that I thoroughly enjoyed and will def buy more from this author as they become available in the future

4.0 out of 5 stars An very enjoyable read with lots of twists and turns, 24 July 2013
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Kindle Edition)
An very enjoyable read with lots of twists and turns - Catherine Alliott is always in my wish list can't wait to read the next book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Wedding Day
The Wedding Day by Catherine Alliott (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
6.39