5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book
I saw the ted-talk by Simon Sinek and wanted to read more about his ideas. This book is easy to read and gives some interesting insights on how to communicate.

I have tested it at work and it works. I gave a talk at a conference recently and people congratulated me on the clarity of my presentation. Really, what I did was to start with why.

More...
Published on 4 July 2010 by Marco Lucisano

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive
The overall concept of the book is great, however the book is extremely repetitive. It's ironic that the author didn't take his own advice and structure his book in a Why, How, What story arch.
Published on 17 July 2012 by Mr. F. Costello

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 58 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon has taken an idea ..., 26 Mar 2014
David Shillito (Leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action (Paperback)
... that he would probably agree wasn't original - and made a mini empire out of it. His TED talk was indeed inspirational. Its a sound premis and Simon does an excellent job of articulating & explaining why it's a whole lot easier to sell to people due to why you exist as opposed to what you sell. Well worth your time.

David Shillito
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY INSPIRING, 24 Mar 2014
I watched Simon's TED talk over and over again before I decided to buy his book. This book is truly inspiring and it has also changed how I look at the world. What makes this book so much more inspiring for me than it might be for someone else is because I recently became a member of AIESEC, the world's largest student-run organisation. I am always so inspired by the speakers at AIESEC conferences but never truly understand why I am or why I love my organisation so much. Only when I read this book, do I realise what makes my organisation so special. And also when I relate the book with a specific example of an organisation, in this case AIESEC, does everything Simon says and the examples he use prove to work so effectively. This book is definitely recommended, not only to people in business, but also everyone who might be unsure what they are doing, what they want to do in the future or just simply looking to find a path in their lives. 5/5 for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is the word..., 1 Mar 2014
Michael de Groot (Midlands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was so inspired by Simon's TED talk on the golden circle, where he shared his com let of why? This book illustrates why, why? works. There's no magic bullet, no magic pill, there is no marketing agency in the world that can help you shape your message unless you have a compelling why?

I now teach all my clients to ensure that when they write their LinkedIn profile they focus on Why? I've completely re-written my profile twice to make sure that I'm completely congruent and on target with my why? In fact I realised that I didn't have a clear enough why after reading this book and now my life will change as a result. I know it will. Thank you Simon!

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly inspirational book that will allow you to keep true to your why and inspire others., 20 Feb 2014
As many organisations grow, there are changes that can happen to the culture, often to the detriment of the business. When the founding group is small, everyone is close to the founder and the vision of the company and hence close to the "why" the business exists. They will speak to the founder every day. As you grow and bring in people with other attitudes/personalities, work ethics and potentially from other industries, this culture starts to fall away, unless you do something about it. I learnt this the hard way.

I have found this book very useful in reminding me why I founded the company and that it is very important to never forget this through growth. Culture is like a garden, it needs tending and in this book Simon gives you some great tools to do so! I've had the pleasure to meet Simon in person and he is a truly inspirational individual.

Start with why, remember why, as with great company culture everything else just gets easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 16 Feb 2014
GB (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
A brilliant read! Learned a lot and have changed my whole outlook based on the wisdom in this book! A must-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 15 Feb 2014
Simple, to the point and completely resets your thinking back to why you started doing what you do. We all lose track of that chasing money, paying bills, whats the next big break etc, but we run out of steam eventually if that is our only motivator.

I loved this book because it helped me remember why I do what I do and when passion drives you... you are unstoppable.

That is all...

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 7 Feb 2014
John Davison - See all my reviews
Not a bad book, some some great one liners in there and some nice nuggets of info. On the whole the book was ok.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abdolutely essential fundamental business read, 6 Feb 2014
Goes 30 pages too long about the point, hence only 4 stars, but when it comes to the theory, i do think that Sinek's theory is key for everyone who would like to inspire action,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 6 Feb 2014
Brilliant book, well written and definitely worth a read. As many others I was inspired by the TED talk and this book expands on his thoughts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 31 Jan 2014
in: joaopaleta.com

I am very much passionate about Business and the reasons why companies succeed. I see companies as complex living organisms that depend on people to succeed so the topic of success being explained as a derivative of the human behaviors and interactions really gets my attention. Specially the massively complex mechanisms of influencing change and behavior in big organizations.

In Start With Why I found a simple but yet powerful concept to do just that.

I now use extensively the Golden Circles in my communication, starting with why, and also performing coherence checks on the why, how and whats of companies and people.

At a personal level I now have a better awareness of the example I am giving to my kids (3) when I am, or am not, consistent. My kids do what they see the parents doing so I might as well give them a good example. And its not easy to live up to all the words that come out of my mouth. I am actively training myself to increase my integrity levels. After these initial tests I will create a mission, vision, values, principles and perspective for (and with) my family and let you know how it turned out. I am sure it will be fun.

A great example of this concept at work is at Tesla Motors. It is amazing how consistent their beliefs, communication and actions are. The same happened over the years with Apple and Steve Jobs. Would love to meet people from these companies to double check that from the company staff perspective the feeling is there as well. From the outside it does seem like its working.

If you are curious about this topic check Simon’s Ted talk here and let me know your opinion.

So Start With Why opened my appetite for Leadership so I am now going through “The 21 Laws of Leadership” from John Maxwell and also for the roots and reasons behind the great social, political and economical frameworks of our world.

Joćo Paleta