5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book
I saw the ted-talk by Simon Sinek and wanted to read more about his ideas. This book is easy to read and gives some interesting insights on how to communicate.

I have tested it at work and it works. I gave a talk at a conference recently and people congratulated me on the clarity of my presentation. Really, what I did was to start with why.

More...
Published on 4 July 2010 by Marco Lucisano

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive
The overall concept of the book is great, however the book is extremely repetitive. It's ironic that the author didn't take his own advice and structure his book in a Why, How, What story arch.
Published 24 months ago by Mr. F. Costello

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Get This, 15 Aug 2010
You can inspire people when you focus on the reason why. You won't manage it by focusing on how you do things or what you are doing. That is the idea driving Simon Sinek and it is compelling. He cites Steve Jobs, Martin Luther King and others who inspire followers because they are at the least able to articulate a belief. After all, how can we expect people to share our conviction if we cannot articulate it? Beyond messages, proof points and sound bite Sinek goes to the heart of the belief and trust we place in people and organisations.

"Start With Why Offers a simple and pragmatic approach to great leadership. Each story will force you to see things from an entirely different perspective. A perspective that is nothing short of the truth." Mokhtar Lamani, former ambassador, special envoy to Iraq and ambassador, permanent observer to the UN

3.0 out of 5 stars inspiring idea - but disappointingly written, 1 April 2012
markr - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action (Paperback)
The central idea of the book is that it is vision, emotion, and being true to values that creates outstanding leadership and sustainable success, rather than targets, products and marketing. The idea is powerful and true, but hardly new. However, it is remarkable how many leaders and organisations lose their way, forgetting the emotional connections which built their early success or the success of others.

In this respect the book is excellent. Disappointingly though the idea is repeated throughout the book, over and over - and at times I found myself thinking ' I get it, I get it- please tell me something else!' I found some of the examples didn't ring true for me - not all of the organisations seemed to be authentic examples. For example Sinek makes heavy use of Apple as an organisation which has become very successful because customers buy into their rebel image - and in buying Apple products are identifying with that image. I am writing this on an Apple laptop, and in a few minutes will make a call on my I Phone - but i have both of these because they are superb products which are great to use, and i had no idea of the rebel image. So the example didn't work for me

Nonetheless, an important message for leaders who wish to transform their organisations and their surroundings - its done by emotional connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, 10 May 2010
J. McCurrach (UK) - See all my reviews
You know how there are some organisations where "it just works" and there are others where it doesn't?

This book goes behind the obvious analysis of "what firms do" to ask the much more important "why do they do it?" Once you know that, the rest (what, how etc) is so much easier to understand.

If you want to get some insight into why your organisation is successful and a happy and fulfilling place to work (or not) then read this - it will open your eyes and allow you to see organisations in a new light.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, 4 Nov 2013
Its a bit hard work in parts but puts some good point across and has a good message over all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent message, but a little overdone, 9 Dec 2012
R. Hunter (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I saw Simon Sinek's TED talk before I read this book. I have to admit, even though there are some brilliant insights in the book, the TED talk pretty much sums up the whole message. The book became very repetitive after a while (and I couldn't help noticing how much free advertising Apple was getting!).

Having said that, the message that Sinek is spreading is one that needs to be heard. It's had me looking at the moves made by big businesses in a whole new light, and it's also made me rethink my own entrepreneurial approach.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, But I'm Sure Glad I Got The Opportunitiy To Read This! - Moneymavericks92@gmail.com, 8 April 2012
Mr. K. James - See all my reviews
Excellent books with some valid points, the lessons are quick in a "no nonsense" way, but i must say that not every point in this book is practical. well at least according to me

for example, Simon argues that people buy why and not what. And that people don't truly pay attention to features or services of a company, but only why, and that without why, you cannot bread loyalty. while this may be true for many people it is in no way an ultimate truth

i know many people who are loyal customers (or "fanboys" as we would call them) who could not tell you WHY they are interested in a particular brand. the truth is. sometimes we just buy what we buy and we stick to it. for all types of reasons, why did we choose the xbox over the playstation 3? because it looks better, because you like the design of the controller better, because you like the online gameplay better? the reasons are limitless

and when people buy things, they tend not to try a change, if they buy an xbox 360, they stick with microsoft and decide not to even give sony a chance on there next "playstation 4" so loyalty come from many motivations.

ultimately what im saying is, simon says people don't buy why but what. is inaccurate, i am definitely a buyer of what and i am also a buyer of why. so this is why i say the book is not practical to real life, i don't see what the hype is all about really. so i would say it's a book you should definitely not miss out on, but you must be carefull and not take every word of it as a die hard truth

Pleae feel free to write me at moneymavericks92@gmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Such clarity..., 31 Jan 2011
Mme Anna Cook (France) - See all my reviews
Excellent book, written with such clarity and ease of understanding. I am very pleased with my decision to buy this book. Well worth it, really helpful. I would definitely recommend it for new business start ups as much as for seasoned executives who want to improve their (and their company)image, stay true to their beliefs and share with their customers as opposed to just hard-selling to them. Very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and Visionairy - must read for entrepeneurs, 20 Mar 2011
Start with Why is one of the most inspiring books I read the last few years. It's message challenged me to rethink my own values and personal motives for doing the business I'm in. But even more so: it also inspired us to rethink 'the why' of the business we have. As employees and entrepeneurs we get easily distracted by the daily 'how can we do this' and 'what can we offer'... Instead redefine the why of your business and the why of your personal motives and start from there! very refreshing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best place to start is with Why, 27 July 2010
Ian Macmillan - See all my reviews
A book with a simple and obvious message, but no less powerful for it. A good place to start with any new or existing business or opportunity, or in fact with anything we want to accomplish in life, as it's so easy to start out with one's thinking and key messages in the wrong order. Contains good examples and a simple framework for action. I got good value from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Jun 2014
Shollynson (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I recommend you read this book. Always no Your Why!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›