Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 June 2011
Tom Clancy is well known for books which contain many sub-plots which slowly converge into a dramatic and thrilling finale. While books such as Red Storm Rising and The Hunt for Red October represent brilliant examples of this writing technique, I can only describe this as a literary misfire. As with many of Clancy's books, the plot is too complex to be summarized properly on a single page (with liberal use of the phrase 'and then') - yet much of the book is unnecessary chaff, which should be prime candidates for removal at the hands of the editors. It's a book that would take pages to explain, yet equally could be split into a 2 hour Hollywood thriller, if necessary. I enjoy Clancy's books - but in this, as with many others, he has clearly fallen into the Russian Story problem - where a new minor character is introduced on every page - and in the end, the story is much too long winded to make an effective read. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book - I would advise others to be careful (unless they were fans of Clancy themselves).
on 22 June 2011
As previously reviewed you can tell straight away that, although his name is on the cover, there is very little, if any, input by Clancy in this novel. It does however have that current American penchant for micro-detailing any weapon system used by characters which as always is an annoyance rather than attribute.

The biggest disappointment for me was the blatant plagarism of the Richard Cox novel from the 70's called SAM-7. this is a far superior book detailing the effects rather than glossing over the event as in this novel. In fact the end of the book seems to happen in one great rush to get it done!

Overall I would have to say that although the plot showed promise with a reasonably debatable storyline I was somewhat disppointed with the outcome - somewhat like the abysmal Hollywood effort of Sum Of All Fears.
on 31 July 2011
I have read every book written by Tom Clancy and was very disappointed by his last offering Dead or Alive. It was awful and I assumed it to be a one off. How wrong, this latest book failed to hold my interest beyond 100 pages, I just gave up on it. It in no way resembled anything previously written by Clancy and I suspect it was the work of his co-author, Peter Telep. This appears to be the latest means of making a fast buck, write a novel and get a well known author to put his name to the title. I feel cheated and very disappointed that Mr Clancy has gone from my most favoured writer to one to avoid in the future.
on 23 July 2011
Tom Clancy should be ashamed at putting his name to this book. The story is contrived - a hero with emotional baggage, some hammed-up US homeland security nonsense, an abrupt end to the lead 'bad guy', a low-rent love interest and plenty of other pretty standard story lines. It was a boring read. I'd never heard of the lead author Peter Telep - and now I know why. He wouldn't be able to publish anything on his own and is clearly riding along on the Clancy label.

I would just avoid this book. There is plenty of other, better, thriller/pseudo-military material out there.
on 8 July 2011
I've read pretty much all of Tom Clancy's novels. And this was just disappointing, ponderous slow and dramatic unfulfilling. The other novels feel they were dragged from the front pages of newspapers and stuffed with techno informatint the CIA would want. But this one was just an attempt to enervate to tired old cliche villains by mixing them up. Like a cocktail of stale wine and stale beer.

Not to mention how so much action happens off stage in a 700+ page book. And nothing connects there's no exiting chase to head off the villains plot in the end. It sort of happens with almost no context to our heroe's actions.
on 12 July 2011
I LOVE Tom clancy books, especially the Jack Ryan series... His style and story telling became a bit superficial in teeth of the tiger but I said right everybody can have a slip every once in a while and I thought this may even be a tie-in book to start the Jack Sr. series after the presidency I bought dead or alive but not read it yet and last week I saw this book, against all enemies, @ the airport and said ok let's start reading in the plane... ,

The book started great.. The Afhan opening and following 100 pages very well crafted but when Moore moved to US things became disconnected, pages and pages of gibberish and no flow of the story, I read with another 100 pages with increasing boredom and then started to flip the pages by 5-10.. Dialogues became illogical, to stereotyped characters surfacial...

So I guess may be Mr. Clancy wrote the first 100 pages and his Co-Author wrote the rest.

Don't but the book save the forest!
on 1 September 2011
I've read most of Tom Clancy's books, the majority four or five times each. When I saw this one, still in hardback, thought I'd treat myself. The story was just not of the calibre of titles such as 'The Sum of all Fears', 'Debt of Honour'. I didn't actually finish it. Couldn't get involved with the characters - under developed some of the other reviews said.
As has been previously commented by others, it is obvious that Tom Clancy had little to do with this and joins the growing list of authors showing contempt to their readers by out-sourcing.

But this starts off looking and feeling very much like a Clancy - it's a doorstop of a book (750 pages) and tries hard to be a complex techno-thriller. In essence it is about the drug cartels and terrorists working together and an elite US force trying to bring them down. It lacks the pace and tension of a traditional Clancy along with the blend of politics and on the ground action and ends up being overlong and does not suck you in enough. Far, far too many characters confuse and our tediously flawed hero, Max Moore, jets all over the place with as much angst as he has identities.

Maybe in a shorter, tighter, book this might have worked, but it felt too drawn out and as if it was working to a template rather than delivering a good story. Just about deserves three stars but I did toy with two, mainly based on the excessive length and lack of real excitement. But very average and very long.
on 31 July 2011
Normally a great fan of Tom Clancy's books; I was very disappointed with this offering. The story made such an impression on me that I can't even remember what it was about. If you want a Jack Ryan standard of novel, don't bother with this one.
on 23 January 2012
This is another 'production line' Clancy book written largely by someone else, with Clancy presumably contributing plot ideas, etc. The basic situation - Islamic terrorists join Mexican drug cartels - has plenty of potential but this book does not fulfil it. It tries to use the trade-mark Clancy technique of slowing weaving together many plot-lines to a denouement, but the result is very messy and the climax not very exciting. There's a surfeit of characetrs and acronyms and it's difficult to follow at times - contrast the very long but carefully constructed Sum of All Fears. There's careless editing - near the end they seem to lose a plane in the round-up of disasters. The hero, Moore, is colourless. The 'romantic' interludes are pointless and a bit yukky. I did learn something about the drug war/border situation, and I now also know what a cellphone waiting lot is - but only because I googled it. Fortunately I got this book from the library - I won't be buying it.