Format: PaperbackChange

A tribute and biography of Spike Milligan partly in his own words and a title that I absolutely loved from the first page to the last especially since I remember listening to my radio and enjoying the Goon Shows on repeat on a Sunday Night before bed.

What this title does is bring not only the witty Spike to the fore but allows the reader to delve deeper into the man behind the character through personal letters and brought together by his manager Norma Farnes who got to see the side of him that was rarely presented. It's touching, it has a wonderful blend of whimsy and also allows the reader to relive some of Spike's funniest moments as well as the ups and downs in his own life.

All in, this is a wonderful tribute to one of the people who changed the face of comedy as the British audience will attest. Magical.
0Comment40 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2011
I love anything to do with Spike Milligan, and this book is no exception.
It is funny, sad , and heart warming. I love the stories about him and his children.
What a talent he had, the likes of which will never be seen again.
on 16 June 2012
This concentrates some of the best of Spike Milligan's writing into a single book. It is both very funny and at times deeply moving. It is edited with a unique take on Milligan's work and I was very sorry to get to the end. I now want to re-read all Spike Milligan's work. If you are a Milligan fan this is gold dust.
on 21 February 2014
Clips and essays drawn from Milligan's long life by his longtime publisher, this is a book to dip into, showcasing Spike's laugh-out-loud absurdist humour and - less well known - a bit of his poetry and private correspondence.

This man was mad, in a good way. I've never seen the Goons, but will now try and get hold of transcripts. Timeless, classic comedy that shows today's wimpy sitcoms what edgy and daring really are. And barely an f-word in sight.
on 25 November 2011
Spike was an interesting man, with a sense of humour mad s--ds like me instantly connect with. In his lifetime he wrote some very funny books and this story of him serves him well.
on 4 September 2013
I am biased,I freely admit it,being long service ex army and spending time with the Royal Artillery,
I can relate to all of Milligans writings,be it by Spike or about Spike.
Nothing more to be said.Brilliant.
on 11 October 2012
While I am not old enough to remember the goons myself, I bought this book for my dad who loves the goon show. Book arrived undamaged and on predicted time.
on 25 June 2014
This book was brilliant. It made me laugh. It was very good telling you all about his life. Especially when he was little.
on 17 October 2013
Very funny spike had a terrific career in comedy this book showed his genius for writing and performing enjoyable read
on 20 September 2014
Its ok but is basically bits and pieces from all the war memoirs if you have read those don't bother with this.