4.0 out of 5 stars Sound stuff
In my head there is a spectrum of interestingness for science that runs from geology to the really weird bits of physics. I have never yet found a popular science writer, however good, who can make geology truly interesting, while something like quantum physics is so fascinating (and strange) that it takes little effort to make it fascinating (though it's hard to make it...
Published 13 months ago by B. M. Clegg

2.0 out of 5 stars Tenuous links and structure start to grate after a while
I gave the book the benefit of the doubt after reading some other amazon reviews, but I have to say that I agree with those that criticise the narrative framework;

The author uses a picture of a roof terrace as a device to illustrate a range of materials, each one of which then forms the basis of a chapter on that material.

It feels a little gimmicky...
Published 10 months ago by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic but facsinating, 15 Sep 2013
Good read in bed. Interesting chapters about things you thought you knew all about OR didn't ever thing about.
Each chapter covers the subject from angles that one would probably not have considered or questioned. One chapter a night, easy reading and some thing to sleep on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for me but my 11 year old son hasnt put it down, 13 Sep 2013
A well written and engaging book - it makes you think twice about the world we take for granted.

It has kept my son gripped which given that it is competing with Xbox's and all sorts of gadgets is impressive.

An interesting and entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuff really does matter, 2 Sep 2013
Thanks Mark for your exquisitely detailed and almost poetic description of some of our most significant materials. Chocolate was sensational and I'm particularly looking forward to reading that chapter again, and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Materials book, 31 Aug 2013
Mr. A. Wills (London) - See all my reviews
A great, engaging book. Surprisingly engaging for a book that takes you deep into materials and a very personal story too. I really enjoyed this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A material education, 31 Aug 2013
A fascinating introduction to materials science. Technical but not abstruse: just right for the interested, but on-screen reader. A variety of approaches and styles in the different chapters lends interest. Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Hooked., 21 Aug 2013
I bought this book after pausing to read a review in an old copy of the Guardian I was using to line the chicken coop. Essentially grounded in the Arts, I remain curious about the world around me; and I had heard the author talk about stainless steel cutlery on popular science programme on the radio. He struck me as a natural communicator, so I gave it a shot: all those other materials around me I took for granted such as paper, concrete, plastic and glass were revealed in a new light. I was enthused and encouraged to regard objects not so much as "blobs of differently coloured matter" as "complex expressions of human needs and desires."
Why don't I taste my spoon when I'm eating cornflakes? Can buildings heal themselves? What part did materials science play in the Paralympics? How could I ever again use newsprint for something other than its intended purpose without marvelling at its inner structure?
Why not try a sample and get hooked? You'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting book!, 12 Aug 2013
M. Reeve (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
The author does not disappoint - although it's a factual book, I found it as difficult to put down as I would a work of fiction. Really fascinating with lots of anecdotes to keep it lively, and gives it a personal touch. Would recommend to anyone interested in science or really, our man-made world in any way!

5.0 out of 5 stars ubiquitous stuff that does matter!, 11 Aug 2013
Mark's book is a must read for any enquiring mind; written with verve and wit; you will enjoy it no end!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stuff, 22 July 2013
I saw a review of this book in the Sunday Times and decided it would be a good book to read on holiday. Didn't like the advertised price - thought I could do better on Amazon. I searched, I found, I purchased. It arrived in a reasonable time( I still don't know why it takes so long by post - even 2nd class). A fascinating read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tenuous links and structure start to grate after a while, 31 Aug 2013

It feels a little gimmicky as a device, yet my real bugbear was that it rarely seemed to dig very deep beneath the surface; it seemed to be a mix of a litre history of the material, a little of the authors own experiences (not really necessary in my opinion), a little of what frankly is probably general knowledge, and then a little material sciences

I don't mean to sound overly critical but - and I am not a scientist by any stretch of imagination - it just didn't challenge or interest me in the way that I had hoped it would