5.0 out of 5 stars It's a very good book.
I was interested in this book because of a paragraph I read in the "Sunday times". It wasn't a book review, it was just a mention. It loosely stated about the book exploring the use of negative thinking within a framework of positive thinking, Which makes more sense, then just positive thinking alone.

I wasn't expecting much out of the book, I just wanted to...
Published on 23 May 2012 by J. markey

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough nut to crack
Published on 16 Nov 2011 by Daniel Park

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a very good book., 23 May 2012
J. markey "johnleto" (dublin ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flourishing (Paperback)

I wasn't expecting much out of the book, I just wanted to learn more. But it is very well and interestingly written, it is very easy to read. It gives references to a lot of different studies and dumbs them down just enough to help us understand fully the science behind the book's subject. Then it goes on to categorise 10 steps in different chapters of very practical advice, each piece of advice could be a book in themselves.

Its the best book in this category I have read. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough nut to crack, 16 Nov 2011
Daniel Park "danielpark99" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flourishing (Paperback)
This is a very useful and novel addition to the plethora of self-help books out there. Gaffney's basic premise is that we are hot-wired to receive negativity - and dwell on it - from an early age, and that we need to maintain a strong sense of self-control to limit our instinctive acceptance of negative thoughts and actions, and concentrate on more positive ones - thus allowing us to "flourish".

Some of her ideas really hit the spot. I really personally recognised the concept that you can have a good relationship with a person or organisation completely soured by an incident (or series of incidents) and from that moment on, not only will every interaction with that person or organisation be coloured negatively, but you will revise your past recollections of them to reflect your new negative options, even if all your previous thoughts about them were neutral or positive.

If I have a criticism of Gaffney's style it is this. She is a psychologist and, like any good social scientist, she likes to expound upon the reasons behind her explanations in quite some detail. Whilst some people might be fascinated by relations of the way the brain develops during childhood and the results of research carried out by workplace and marriage guidance psychologists during the last 30 years, I found the detail a little wearing. Like a coconut, there's a lot of really good stuff inside this book, but sometimes the detail made it a tough nut to crack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge Action Happiness, 23 Jan 2012
Patricia (Harold's Cross, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flourishing (Paperback)
A friend gave me this wonderful book last weekend just as we were heading off to Austria on holidays. Though Zell em See is renowned for its lively après ski, once I started it, I just could not wait after each exhilarating day on the slopes, to get back to the hotel to read more! Maureen Gaffney has done a fantastic job here and there is so much insight, erudition and wisdom in this book that I know that I will read and re-read it, treasure and recommend it to friends, family and colleagues. I can see groups starting and courses developing to explore its many rich veins of knowledge. It is a big book with great depth and needs some focused attention to get the most out of it. But it is worth the effort as it has the potential to enable us to significantly improve our own lives and the lives of those around us.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot to take in - but worth the read, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Flourishing (Paperback)
don't think I've ever read such a comprehensive, extensive, easy to follow articulation of the patterns of our minds coupled with psychology, sociology and practical steps to increase your happiness.

I found the first 5 pages quite boring and fluffy and put the book down. About 4 months later I read a summary article in a magazine and thought the book was look a second chance - I haven't put it down since!

There are levels of concepts that in the latter stages of the book make it somewhat difficult - I will be re-reading a number of chapters.

Overall well worth the read.

It would particularly suit a man as a first read into the world of personal development.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much food for thought, 21 Dec 2012
Kernowlot (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flourishing (Kindle Edition)
A book to help the reader get more out of life. I enjoyed reading it and I found useful ideas to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, Insightful and Rewarding, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Flourishing (Paperback)
To get an understanding or even a little insight into how the processes discussed in this book work, can only help toward gaining a deeper, richer and ultimately more valuable and rewarding experience of life. Particularly like the concept of post traumatic growth, something which I think just about everybody these days could do with a little of.

Its a focused, in the round, no stone left unturned approach, encompassing both positive and negative factors, into whats going on when we are feeling on top of the world and life is going our way, and also, what may be happening when things aren't looking so great. its a book, I'm sure, that I will be coming back to again, and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars really well written, easy to read, full of sense!, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Flourishing (Kindle Edition)
There is no-one who would not benefit from reading this very well written book. There are so many simple and helpful tips and plenty to get you thinking about your life and the way you interact with those around you. I imagine that I will go back to it many times as I firmly believe you have never have enough of 'this sort of stuff' - preferably in small digestible doses!

I found myself thinking of innumerable people who could benefit from reading it! 'Now he or she really needs to improve her positive to negative ratio!', but actually, we all could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Informative and Accessible, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Flourishing (Paperback)
This book provides a good overview of why negativity is such a powerful and important force for our survival and how to create the required ratio of 5:1 to overcome this and thrive. As well as outlining how important the role of leadership is in and to an organisation. The ten strategies for flourishing along with a review of different coping strategies is laid out in a very approachable way for readers who are interested in this area but who haven't got a background in psychology. A really interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is life changing, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Flourishing (Kindle Edition)
Really liked this book. Very well written and has lots of examples. A colleague had recommended it to me, and I am so glad for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, lifechanging., 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Flourishing (Kindle Edition)
This is an excellent presentation outlining its purpose and methods in a logical way and with clear explanations of its purpose and potential. I had bought a hard copy from myself and several for friends and relatives as I am so convinced of its usefulness and potential. It takes work to get the benefits available therein. I recommend scanning it first time round and then returning to relevant
chapters when desired or necessary. I also bought it form my Sony ereader, and having discarded that in favour of a Kindle I also bought a copy for that. I would not be without it. The chapter on attention alone is worth the purchase and perusal.

Flourishing
Flourishing by Maureen Gaffney (Paperback - 5 July 2012)
6.29