5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant analysis -- a must read for all who care about the Internet!
The Filter Bubble is an incredible book that everybody needs to read! I've finished reading the US version (released last month) and haven't hesitated to recommend it to all of my friends across the pond.

What's the book about?

In short, we're entering a new period of growth with the Internet. The web we once knew is changing -- it's becoming...
Published on 21 Jun 2011 by Matt

3.0 out of 5 stars excellent topic, but...
The author spends 250 or so pages telling us how awful this new personalised internet is (which I agree with), but only 6 and a half pages on how to defend against it!

6.5 pages??!!! Are you kidding me? You think this is such a serious issue that your write a 250 page book but only make the effort to knock out 6.5 pages in the "what you can do" section...
Published on 23 Sep 2011 by David Patterson

4.0 out of 5 stars good read - very interesting content / claims, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Filter Bubble: What The Internet Is Hiding From You (Paperback)
Arrived quickly , new and untouched and frankly is a real eye opener of a read.

particularly interesting about the drug Aderall and the data companies I had never heard of that are clearly big players.

One negative would be that there are some technical "techy' words used that need some explaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking control of personalisation, 26 Jan 2012
The book is not too long and is well written for the broad population that are interested in the Internet. It describes how over time we come to see an increasingly personalised view that is less obviously a more constrained view. I noticed this several years ago with Google Search, results were skewed to my home country. For personal searches this is probably beneficial but for professional purposes this is not what I want to see. Amazon also takes note of what I have looked at and what I have purchased and uses this information to suggest products that I may be interested in. Once again this is mostly OK but I do get a rather strange set of suggestion since I also order for my wife and bought books for my daughter when she was a medical student. The book extrapolates from the situation today and explores what may happen. There are certainly more aspects to this topic than I had noticed myself but I largely agree with the views expressed in the book. We, the users, need to be sure that the benefits of personalisation accrue to us and not just enable targeted advertising by vendors. I have no hesitation in recommending this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious rubbish from a self publicist, 6 Aug 2011
This guy argues that information overload is a good thing, and that technology to filter it for you should be burned like a heretic. A non-issue if ever there was one.

The Filter Bubble: What The Internet Is Hiding From You
The Filter Bubble: What The Internet Is Hiding From You by Eli Pariser (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)
6.99