5.0 out of 5 stars classical black series
This is my first Marlow novel. I cherish its rememberance. I read it when I was about 15 and came like a blow in the stomach. Then I read all Marlow novels in a row.

Marlow is hired to protect a man while he perfoms some business. The man is killed and Marlow begins to investigate. It contains all the good topics of the black series: a honest, tough detective,...
Published on 17 May 2006 by RAMON

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUT GETS OVER COMPLICATED
Published on 2 July 2012 by Rocke Harder

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless!, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
With thousands of crime thrillers to choose from, I was a little apprehensive about reading one written over 70 years ago; but this is a true classic. Raymond Chandler produced work with much wit and more than a little wisdom in his observation of the goodies, baddies and the majority who were in-between. All resulting in a rattling good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic Chandler, 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
"'Cute little redhead,' she said slowly and thickly. 'Yeah, I remember her. Song and dance. Nice legs and generous with 'em.'"
-- from the back cover

Farewell, My Lovely is the second of Raymond Chandler's novels featuring the definitive hardboiled PI Philip Marlowe. It is also, arguably, the best.

Moose Malloy is looking for Velma, the girl he was going to marry, before doing a stretch for armed robbery. Marlowe agrees to help, little realising he will end up dealing with gangsters, femmes fatale, drugs, blackmail and murder.

The writing is, as ever with Chandler, descriptive and evocative but also humorous.

"Chandler maintained that a classic is a piece of writing 'which exhausts the possibilities of its form and can hardly be surpassed'. And whilst there may be no such thing as the 'perfect' detective story, Farewell, My Lovely comes as close to such a demanding ideal as the reader is ever likely to find."
-- Colin Dexter (from the introduction)

"Perhaps the most literate hard-boiled novel ever written, Farewell explodes with metaphors and allusions."
-- William Marling,Ph.D. Professor of English, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA

"Raymond Chandler is a master."
--The New York Times

"Raymond Chandler was one of the finest prose writers of the twentieth century. . . . Age does not wither Chandler's prose. . . . He wrote like an angel."
--Literary Review

For those who like Chandler's 'Marlowe' books the following is a list of his works:

The Big Sleep: A Philip Marlowe Mystery (Penguin Fiction) (1939)
Farewell, My Lovely (1940)
The High Window: A Philip Marlowe Mystery (1942)
The Lady in the Lake (A Philip Marlowe Novel) (1943)
The Little Sister: A Philip Marlowe Mystery (1949)
The Long Good-bye (1953)
Playback (1958)
Trouble is My Business (a collection of short stories featuring Philip Marlowe. Originally published before The Big Sleep between 1934-1939)

Also available is the film version starring Dick Powell Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] and an audio adaptation Farewell My Lovely (Classic Chandler).

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 Aug 2014
Not finished this one yet but very good so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sep 2014
The best of it style and genre

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Sep 2014
From page one you are into it

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUT GETS OVER COMPLICATED, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
This book is a good rather than a great read. The story got a little over complicated as Chandler tries to tie in and link too many threads - all connected to the gigantic villain Moose Malloy. There were times when I scratched my head a little despairingly as I tried to work out what these connections were. There were also times when sentences and paragraphs made no logical sense to me at all. I put this down to the language of the time but it did leave a feeling of bewilderment.

However, I did enjoy this book and the character of Marlow is strong and amusing. His one liners did on occassions grate a little but nevertheless his overwhelming sense of optimism rang through and made me laugh.

Although written many years ago - it still had quite a modern feel to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated and over-rated., 15 July 2013
gordon henry (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
Said to be one of Chandler's best novels, I'm just glad I haven't read the others. An over-complicated plot with red herrings, irrelevant action, implausible characters and at least one unnecessary simile on every page, which boils down to a fairly simple idea that could have been far more effective if Chandler hadn't got carried away with over-elaborating.

At times it's difficult to follow because of Chandler's insistence on using 1940's slang and because the writing isn't very clear. Some of the similes work but many don't: the overall effect is of somebody trying too hard to be clever and failing, to the detriment of the story. It's dated and sloppy; none of the characters are convincing, from the cartoonish Moose Molloy to the implausibly flirtatious Mrs Grayle. It's hard to believe that such a flimsy work would be published today, or that it is still in print.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell,My Lovely, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
This item was bought as a present. It arrived quickly and was in good condition as described in the product information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Sep 2014
great

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical 1940's detective novel, 13 Jan 2001
By A Customer
The second in Chandler's series of Phillip Marlowe dectective novels is what you would expect; dark alleys, corrupt policemen, vampy women who are not quite what they seem. It is very readable, if this is the type of novel you like and has enough plot twists to make the story interesting.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Farewell, My Lovely
Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (Paperback - 28 Oct 2010)