5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell my lovely is an intriguing and compelling story
farewell my lovely is a superb example of Chandlers works showing that his use of dialogue coupled with his use of first person narrative creates an atmosphere that draws you in and won't let you go . The story itself is enough to keep the reader interested and so it is not surprising that this tail of a missing girl who has disapeared without a trace and one mans search...
Published on 28 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUT GETS OVER COMPLICATED
This book is a good rather than a great read. The story got a little over complicated as Chandler tries to tie in and link too many threads - all connected to the gigantic villain Moose Malloy. There were times when I scratched my head a little despairingly as I tried to work out what these connections were. There were also times when sentences and paragraphs made no...
Published on 2 July 2012 by Rocke Harder

4.0 out of 5 stars More Marlowe, 24 April 2014
I really enjoyed the The Big Sleep, especially for Chandler's dialogue and with, and this is no different, though the story is convoluted and even now I'm not sure about some parts! But maybe that's the point, cos I'll have to read it again to get it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 4 April 2014
Wonderful descriptions. Story moves at great speed. Makes you feel you are there! Shows great understanding of human nature, Timeless.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
the book arrived even before the due date and it was as good as new!
A very good read as well, if you like detective stories you should get this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars A trip back in time, 18 Nov 2013
Very much of its era with some use of unconventional language that one had to interpret, but overall a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Over-complex plotting but great set-piece writing, 31 Oct 2013
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"Farewell, My Lovely", Chandler's second Philip Marlowe novel, is a good deal more digestible than the first in the series. Written in 1940, it holds up well as a piece of fiction that defined a genre of dark, gritty, realistic detective writing, but boy does the plot get complicated - and unlikely - along the way.

The strength of Chandler's writing means he can get away with stories that don't hold up to much scrutiny. Here, he employs the useful device of repeating bits of the plot to remind us (and perhaps himself) of what has just happened, so that some kind of thread runs through another convoluted and vividly told story.

What starts out for Marlowe as a missing person case ends up being something rather more sinister, and en route we get some brilliant descriptions of the sleazy-glamorous world of Hollywood and Los Angeles in the 30s/40s. Chandler is actually a very fine writer on architecture, mood and atmosphere. He also does set piece action rather well, and it's the strength and vividness of these sequences and settings that hold the book together.

It could have done with some editing, and runs on way too long, with final plot strands being tied up rather conveniently and unconvincingly, but I guess we don't read Chandler for the plot. It's the mood he created that lingers, and that's why we come back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Detective Story, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
Always like this authors novels and can recommend them if you like crime with L A based detective.Will be buying more of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell Moose, 24 Sep 2012
Mr. J. P. Robson (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
I first read this book in the late 40's and enjoyed it immensely,my favourite character is Moose Malloy, "on account of I'm large", he is the one around whom the whole plot revolves. Philip Marlowe will be well known to all Raymond Chandler fans and he is the storyteller in this saga. For those who like crime thrillers this book is a must and I enjoyed it just as much as on my original reading. (It may be of interest that it was made into an excellent film with Dick Powell as Marlowe and Mike Mazurki as 'Moose'. It was on TV recently and I enjoyed it just as much as when I showed it for a week as a projectionist. There is a great moment near the start when 'Moose' is seen as reflection in Marlowe's office window. Do view it if you have the opportunity, much better that the Robert Mitchum version.) JimR

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT STORY BUT DON'T BUY THIS EDITION!, 13 Aug 2011
DO NOT BUY THIS TITLE!!!

Classic Raymond Chandler novel, great read.

Don't make the same mistake I made and buy this edition - search for the Big Sleep and Other Novels - 3 novels, this, the Big Sleep and the Long Goodbye bundled together for 50p less than this one title.The Big Sleep and Other Novels (Penguin Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Searching for Velma, 21 April 2012
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
Farewell My Lovely is perhaps my favourite of all Raymond Chandler's books, although he was not a prolific author and there aren't too many to choose from. I guess he was a perfectionist. Like all his novels, it has a memorable beginning, this time with Philip Marlowe spotting a man outside a bar wearing a sports coat with golfballs on it for buttons and alligator shoes with 'white explosions on the toes'. His curiosity leads him to several bruising encounters with local gangsters.

What I like most about Farewell is the evocation of Bay City, a respectable Californian seaside community which hides a grimy heart. I love his descriptions of the town: 'Beyond the electroliers, beyond the beat and toot of the small sidewalk cars, beyond the smell of hot fat and popcorn and the small children and the barkers in the peep shows, beyond everything but the smell of the ocean... I walked almost alone now'. The only person writing anything at all like this at the time was Graham Green in Brighton Rock.

The characters are all memorable from six-foot Moose Malloy ('not wider than a beer truck'), to corrupt police sergeants to a would-be female detective. The dialogue is snappy and the pace is always full-on. Whilst many other writers of the time (such as Agatha Christie) seem like quaint period pieces, Chandler is still as fresh and modern as the day he was first published.

On the downside, the slang and volcabulary confuse me. People drink gimlets and big houses have portes-coucheres. But it hardly seems to matter. You just get swept along by the prose.

Thanks, then, to Penguin for reprinting Chandler's entire output in these handsome new covers with short and sweet introductions from contemporary crime hacks. I think the author would have loved them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless!, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (Paperback)
With thousands of crime thrillers to choose from, I was a little apprehensive about reading one written over 70 years ago; but this is a true classic. Raymond Chandler produced work with much wit and more than a little wisdom in his observation of the goodies, baddies and the majority who were in-between. All resulting in a rattling good read.

Farewell, My Lovely
Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (Paperback - 28 Oct 2010)
6.29