5.0 out of 5 stars as entertaining as I anticipated
I have been reading Lucy Robinson's blog on Marie Claire for a good couple of years now and feel like I know her.
From day one I connected with her hilarious/tragic/happy trials and tribulations, so I was ecstatic to find out she had a book in the offing...

Published on 9 April 2012 by A

1.0 out of 5 stars Bridget Jones revisited, but bad language abounds
Review by my wife, who was defintely NOT impressed:
Published 19 months ago by Bob Sherunkle

5.0 out of 5 stars as entertaining as I anticipated, 9 April 2012
This review is from: The Greatest Love Story of All Time (Paperback)

As with her blog, reading 'The Greatest love Story of All Time' feels like catching up with a friend over a nice bottle of wine. There were a LOT of laughs and a few lumps in the throat.
Fran was a likeable buffoon who I can imagine a lot of readers identified with. Some reviews say there is too much swearing, well, spend a day with me and you'll see it's not unrealistic!

Robinson takes the "chick-lit" genre and gives it a new edge; with the use of internet dating, texting and social media (which gives her the ability to hilariously stalk Nellie) she brings us bang up to date. We are all guilty of such "face-stalking" at some point I am sure.

We know these books are going to have a happy ending for all those who deserve one, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable living through the 90 days with Fran and her pals. Here's to Gin Thursdays!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bridget Jones revisited, but bad language abounds, 18 Sept. 2013
Bob Sherunkle (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Review by my wife, who was defintely NOT impressed:
"If you are having withdrawal symptoms from Bridget Jones, look no further than this book, that is if you like frequent swearing and the dreaded C word. I ploughed on through this book hoping for something different, but I could not find it. It is about a girl called Fran whose boyfriend asked for a 90 day sabbatical and the ongoing efforts of her friends to get her dating again. Why?? She has not been dumped by her longtime boyfriend, and there were no reasons given for his sabbatical, but he is still in contact with her. It's a story of stalking, drinking and abusing her friends, so where in this scenario is there entertainment?
Her friends seem shallow and only there as Fran's punchbag. I concede that the book is funny in places, but not enough for me to recommend it to anyone.
It is not a book or author that I would ever want to read again. Lucy Robinson is now on my blacklist as someone who cannot seem to express herself on paper without gratuitous swearing. We all know the words, but, to paraphrase Bill Grundy's comment to the Sex Pistols, 'what a clever girl!'"

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Love Story I've ever read, 9 April 2012
This review is from: The Greatest Love Story of All Time (Paperback)
I'll start this review with a confession - I am a man. I don't believe this book was aimed at me and I certainly didn't go to the shops to buy it. But there is a copy in the house and my flatmate was laughing so hard when she was reading it that I simply had to find out what all the fuss was about. And it is funny. Very funny. I honestly couldn't put it down and read from front to back cover in one long but enjoyable session. Yes, Fran is a bit mental but she made me laugh - what a loon! Do girls really go to these lengths to stalk their ex-boyfriends?! Hilarious. Her circle of friends are entertaining and unpredictable; the adventures were amusing; and yes, there's a broken heart - which I believe is the staple of 'chick-lit' - but that heart was broken in an unexpected way and the onward journey was colourful and felt original. I laughed throughout. It felt modern and very down to earth, and I really cared for our potty mouthed heroine by the end of the book. A fun read for the tube or the beach or simply when your flatmate's gone out. Good work Lucy Robinson. You've got another fan!

3.0 out of 5 stars I must be getting old, 22 Jun. 2012
Sue (hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greatest Love Story of All Time (Paperback)
After reading the rave reviews on Amazon, I was surprised how few mentioned the (quite unnnecessary in my opinion)amount of swearing in this book. Yes, the story is quite amusing but as much as I'm getting used to the f word in books, I really think there is no need for the c word. It is as if the author seems to feel swearing and crude language equals humour, which is a great shame as she writes very well without the swear words. But as the title says - I might just be getting too old for this genre.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read in ages, basically., 23 April 2012
This review is from: The Greatest Love Story of All Time (Paperback)
I have to say, quite simply, that this is one of the best examples of commercial women's fiction I have ever read.

Reasons for this:
1) It's bloody hilarious. When they'd put 'laugh out loud funny' on the cover, I have to admit, I was dubious but it is PURE comedy and very inventive comedy at that. I wonder if Lucy Robinson should have another job as stand up.

2) I found her characterisation - especially Dave who I FANCIED THE PANTS OFF and so wanted him to actually exist! - to be so creative and un-cliched. I had a picture in my head of them all within the first couple of chapters

3) i didn't see the twist coming until right at the end and thought this was brilliantly drawn out

4) It manages to be hugely romantic as well as hilarious - one rarely finds both in the same book!

5) Am so sick of beige chick-lit heroines who like shoes and Fran was nothing like this. She was so real, with real, raw emotions.

6) Not one word of it made me cringe; it was just a delight, and I have already recommended this to all my mates.

7) Best ending ever! I didn't want it to end and wept reading it at Euston station!

5.0 out of 5 stars a little bit SPLENDID!, 9 April 2012
This review is from: The Greatest Love Story of All Time (Paperback)
Ummm.... I wouldn't normally take the time to write a book review on amazon, but I have had this book in my possession for approximately 5 days and have already read it twice. I thought I'd better tell the world this important news.

I just really enjoyed it! It such a warm bubble bath of a book (in that you get in, and it's lovely, and really hard to get out of again). I really cared about bumbling and funny Fran from the get go, and was rooting for her all the way. To me, the book hits the right balance of 'chick-lit' staples (heart ache, unconventional friends and problematic relations), and looking at all of these articulately and with intelligence and sensitivity.

I can see that some other people here have mentioned that it is a bit potty-mouthed.... perhaps .... but when I am whinging to my friends about men and life in general, I rarely use the word 'bother' in favour of the more colourful language we have available. (Sorry mum.) And that is exactly how this book feels: like having a catch up with one of your most erudite and naughty and hilarious friends.

Keep up the good work Lucy; I am already looking forward to the next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest story of all time, 30 Aug. 2012
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
IS IT THE GREATEST
------------------
Well it's not the Greatest Love story of all time. Neither is it the greatest story of all time.

PREDICTABLE
-----------
Yes, it is a little predictable and you can guess the ending from the beginning. However, that's not a criticism, I like some books to be predictable. Nothing worse that getting to the end and thinking, WHAT? NO! or What happened there?

WELL WRITTEN
------------
I thought it was, language was real and believable.

HOLIDAY READ
------------
It won't disappoint as a holiday read.

LUCY ROBINSON
-------------
I'd not come across this author before. I must have been grabbed as it made me search out her blog. (she is pretty!) Would I read another by her? I probably would. The only thing I would recommend is: not calling a book the greatest whatever of all time. Perhaps, Meddle? or if things are not as you wish, wish them as they are..

Recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying and immature characters, 21 July 2014
This review is from: The Greatest Love Story of All Time (Paperback)
I had just finished reading 'The Unfinished Symphony of Me' which was delightful with well rounded characters, an interesting plot with an unexpected twist and some careful research so I thought I would read another of Lucy Robinson's books: what a shame I tried this one. The characters are immature, crude and not very bright. I felt very little sympathy with any of them. Perhaps it is my age but the amount of swearing and lewdness really put me off. It was a little bit like standing outside the girls' toilets in a school in the rough part of town hearing them boast about how drunk and how laid they can get.It is difficult to enjoy a book where the main character is very annoying and frankly stupid. Unlike other readers this book failed to either interest or amuse me and I gave up in disgust when only half way through. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit with an edge, 23 Jun. 2014
taylzo "dvd addict / bookworm" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is fantastic, and I don't say that lightly. Chick-lit is not my favourite genre, a lot of the time I start these books and put them down, I know some people love a light-hearted love story, but I prefer something grittier. The fact that I finished this book, never mind thoroughly enjoyed it, is quite surprising! It was a perfect example of adding some edge to this genre, a character we could all relate to, a story that is not unrealistic, a fully modern take on how we do things now (think Facebook stalking) and also something I had never thought of before but may well introduce - gin Thursdays! I definitely recommend this to anyone who usually reads this type of book, but for those who are unsure I'd really suggest giving it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally not what you would expect!, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Greatest Love Story of All Time (Paperback)
One of the reasons I loved this no so much is because it went completely against my expectations. I bought it on audiobook and so I didn't read the blurb, I just went on the title to decide what it might be like. Instead of straightforward romance, this book provides romance, friendship, sex, and extremely clever comedy! Initially I was worried I wasn't going to be able to get into the novel because it starts in the midst of main character Fran and her friends rallying round her in her hour of need. I felt a bit like I had just joined a party here everybody knew each other and I had to catch up quickly, but once I had indeed caught up, got the know the characters, I was instantly involved in this fabulously funny tale.

I really liked the characters in this novel and the relationships between them. I think that main character Fran is a very real representation of what one might feel like if they had been unexpectedly dumped rather than proposed to on their thirtieth birthday. She has to deal with issues of alcoholism, nepotism, and other everyday trials and tribulations of thirty-something women. The fact that the characters and issues contained in this novel were so realistic meant that I found myself, gasping in parts, laughing in others and completely shouting down one of the characters towards the end of the novel when they were blatantly lying to another character!

One of my favourite things about this novel was the Internet dating messages that Fran receives when friend leonine makes her join a dating site. Again these were so true to life, it was hilarious, this author has obviously done her research well into this area and I found myself waiting for the next message that Fran would receive from possible suitors as if it were me on my own dating profile, waiting for the next message! I also really really loved the character of Glaswegian Dave (despite the fact that the narrator of the audiobook could NOT do a Glaswegian accent in any way, shape or form!) he is however, an amazing character, straight to the point, yet lovely and completely out for what is best for Fran! I'm sure any reader will warm to him straight away.

Have thoroughly enjoyed this novel, laughed, grasped and 'awwed' my way through the entire thing, I really look forward to reading Lucy Robinson's next offering. I am sure this will be a sure fire hit with any reader, and certainly a case of 'you shouldn't judge a book by its cover'!

The Greatest Love Story of All Time
The Greatest Love Story of All Time by Lucy Robinson (Paperback - 12 April 2012)