4.0 out of 5 stars A different holiday
I really enjoyed this simple but very well told story, it unfolds brilliantly. I love it. I picked up the book thinking it was one story but it turned out to have three in it. that dissapointed me a little but the longest one was the title of the book, the other two were short stories and they are good too. Yes, fans of Jane Green will still be fans, she doesn't...
Published on 16 Dec. 2012 by Bernadette O'Connor

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull as
Published on 27 Nov. 2012 by Mrs. Julie Hunt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull as, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Holiday (Paperback)
Very disappointed. Have enjoyed the few Jane Green books that I have read before, but there just was no story to this. Didn't realise when I bought the book that it was actually three short stories by three different authors. Don't think this was made very clear on the cover. The second story wasn't any better than the first, and I haven't as yet, being able to bring myself to start the third.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 14 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Holiday (Paperback)
I liked all other Jane Green books and was looking forward to this. After reading just over 100 pages of what felt like a very constructed story I realized it was almost finished and that this book contained three short stories, only one of them by Jane Green. I read them all and to be honest one was worse than the other. A complete waste of my money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Holiday (Kindle Edition)
Would not recommend, Did not even finish reading second story. Usually a big fan of jane green but this was no where near her u as I am standard.

2.0 out of 5 stars Re-release of This Christmas!, 3 Jan. 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Holiday (Paperback)
When I saw that Jane Green had a new book coming out I was really looking forward to reading it as I've really enjoyed the previous couple of books that I've read of hers. But what I didn't realise was that this festive trio of short stories, The Holiday, was actually a re-release of a collaboration with authors Jennifer Coburn and Liz Ireland that I'd previously read.

Jane's story, Holiday, is about a young married couple, Sarah and Eddie, whose marriage has gone stale and looks on the brink of collapse. Sarah resents the fact that Eddie goes out drinking and comes home late whilst she's stuck at home looking after the kids, and when he is home he doesn't help out. Whereas Eddie is sick of the constant nagging from Sarah which makes him want to come home even less.

So when Eddie is given a temporary transfer to Chicago for work it gives them both the breathing space to consider their relationship and whether they can resolve their issues to keep their marriage afloat.

I have to confess I didn't really enjoy the second story, The Second Wife of Reilly, at all and actually found myself skim reading it to try and get through it quicker. We meet Sarah who's recently married a lovely guy called Reilly but she's worried that his ex-wife Prudence might decide that she wants him back so she decides that she's going to try and find Prudence a partner! A completely bizarre idea for a Christmas themed short story!

For me the best story of the three was Mistletoe and Holly from Liz Ireland. Normally when Holly goes home for Christmas she is the odd one out as she's the only one without a partner but this year it will be different as she's bringing home her new boyfriend Jason. For Jason it's the chance to be part of a proper family Christmas as having spent most of his childhood in foster homes, it's not something he's had the chance to enjoy before and something he's looking forward to.

But when she gets home and finds her parents missing and her brother drunk, she realises that this Christmas is going to be a little different...

Other than them all being set around Christmastime the common theme for the three stories was family dramas and that we should be thankful for what we've got as things are not always as they seem.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 stories?!, 11 Jan. 2013
L. Feltham (Surrey, London.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday (Kindle Edition)
Very disappointed. Bought this for my holiday read and got to the end of a very predictable story then got confused when I didn't recognise the other characters. It was a new story?! Rubbish. Very poor miss green.

1.0 out of 5 stars Duller than dull., 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Holiday (Paperback)
Hell I wish I had read these reviews properly beforing buying this on a whim before my hols. Rubbish and predictable and what a con three stories in one one. I could tell it wasn't Jane Green. Dreadful waste of money!

1.0 out of 5 stars utter rubbish, 12 April 2013
This review is from: The Holiday (Paperback)
Bought this on my Kindle for a holiday read after reading a magazine recommendation. How disappointing, did not realise it was 3 short stories. I read the first Jane Green story which was so very predictable, won't be bothering with the others. Will also not be buying books based on magazine's reviews again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Best, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Holiday (Kindle Edition)
I have read this book by Jane Green but I don't think it was one of her best read's. I really felt let down with this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars chiclit, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Holiday (Kindle Edition)
Very predictable stories - there were 3 of them. It would be ok as a holiday read or just to pass the time, nothing more.

3.0 out of 5 stars fiction, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Holiday (Kindle Edition)
Have read all of Jane Greens books before, have to say I was a little disappointed with this one, seemed to lack something that her others books had. Well written though and worth a read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Holiday
The Holiday by Jane Green & Friends Green & Friends (Paperback - 8 Nov. 2012)