5.0 out of 5 stars Funny!
Published on 11 April 2005 by Ms. R. J. Temple

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, How did that happen?
Published on 24 Nov 2000 by Gail Seery

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, 11 April 2005
Ms. R. J. Temple "Jelley" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Not a life altering read but not suppossed to be. A witty little novel with fantastic characters. I actually found myself being able to normalise some of my strange behaviours! I love the fact that the main character, Clara is so utterly flawed like most of us but so ready to admit it - I want her as a friend!! It has a kind of english eccentricity that charmed me completely. My boyfriend decided he had to read it when he heard me laughing so much and he doesn't do fiction!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read but it has its flaws..., 12 July 2004
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
OK, I agree with most of the comments in the previous reviews so won't repeat them. But to sum up:
Negatives: Another story based in London; another heroine bored of her (cushty) life; more label-obsessed, somewhat shallow characters; an impossibly implausible ending. Yawn.
Positives: It is written by India Knight who is possibly the best columnist around at the moment; it is side-splittingly funny yet heart-renderingly sad; it portrays an interesting snapshot of a dysfunctional marriage; the heroine is ballsy and 'quite bad' at times, and for once she is not a simpering/ chardonnay-swilling/ working-for-an-ad-agency girl waiting for her Price Charming.

5.0 out of 5 stars The kind of book that makes you laugh out loud., 24 July 2000
E. Uren "Liz Uren" (St Ives, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
A brilliant book, extremely funny and very well written, I couldn't put this book down until I'd finished it and my only complaint would be that I finished it too soon and I would have liked it to be twice as long. India Knight has such an "adulty", unique way of putting things, she's very observant about everyday life and isn't afraid to talk about things that most people are too scared to even think about. Very down to earth and it was great that she addressed problems like being on the podgy side and not bothering to dress to impress, problems that most women over 30 would identify with. I can't wait for the follow up......I hope there is going to be one ! .

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyones life on a plate., 4 May 2006
foxcylady - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
This is a great book, exceptionally funny and easy to read. I had tears rolling down my face on more than one occasion.

Would recommend this book to anyone with a sense of humour, yes it can be a little close to the bone and if you dont like that dont read.

Need a laugh, curl up on the sofa with glass of wine and this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My life in this book, 17 Oct 2001
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
What I loved about this book was sitting there nodding at nearly every single page going "yes, yup, been there" etc. India Knight conjurs up a world of juggling children, work and trying to get the man you love to look at you, let alone even trying to talk to you! She does it with humour and also with tinges of sadness. Her acute observations are really key. Loved it. Lent it to all my friends who all felt exactly the same way. Maybe we all need to find a sexy Irish male ballet dancer somewhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars I almost wet myself laughing..., 28 Dec 2006
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
I have long thought that India Knight's weekly column in the Sunday Times is one of the best things about my weekend papers, and I really enjoyed 'Don't you want me?' when i read it a couple of years ago. I bought My Life on a Plate with a sense of anticipation, and it definitely didn't disappoint. I finished reading it this morning, having been unable to put it down as it is the funniest book I have read in ages, and it had me in hysterics on just about every other page. India has a sharp wit and a great way with words, and her heroines are relatable and sympathetic. Any mother can identify with the emotions of the lead character Clara, and the dialogue of her two sons strikes a chord they both sound remarkably similiar to my son and his bottom humour. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sarcastic, quick and self deprecating humour, especially if you have kids and spend your whole time wondering how you can manage to do everything required of you on a daily basis. There are many writers out there writing chick lit by numbers but this book is head and shoulders above all of the predictable trash that swamps the supermarket shelves, as it is truly, pant-wettingly funny, as well as poignant.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, How did that happen?, 24 Nov 2000
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
What a deeply imperfect book! The characters are at best flimsy. The storyline itself is not believeable. There are inconsistencies throughout. It is shallow, and at times seems little more than a blatant attempt to cash in on the Bridget Jones phenomenon. If this is all that India Knight has in her head then the word worthless springs to mind. AND YET - an amusing and sometimes compelling read. How did that happen?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read For everyone!, 11 Sep 2002
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
This is the best book I have ever read! Since buying it two years ago, I have read it countless times! It is a heart warming book, written with such honesty and is a good reflection of real life as any 'normal' person sees it. It is ridiculously funny and I still laugh out loud! With the mention of such characters as 'Mr.Weeny Peeny' how could anyone with a sense of humour fail to?!The main character, clara, is the ripe 16, strawberry jam stained pjarma bottoms on the school run, tipsy when performing an interview, wonky bikini wax getting, eating disorder friend having, marvel that totally makes the book! Calling anyone who fancies a laugh, you need this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Nancy Mitford than Stevie Smith, 20 Dec 2000
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
I liked this book. Sometimes things are dark in the world of lonely (albeit married) mothers of 2, and what you need is a book like this. It is wholly shallow and materialistic, but sometimes that's exactly what the doctor calls for. I loved this for the same reasons i enjoy Nancy Mitford. Glorious luxuries and ludicrously extreme characters. It only took a few hours, but, being a v. busy mumsy that's all the time i've got - thanks for that! I believe it owns that precious nugget of truth!!

1.0 out of 5 stars The new Bridget Jones, 17 July 2000
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
After Bridget Jones, we were flooded with girls about single women. I think Adele Parks started off the next trend - books about women who are married, and lots of female columnists are getting deals done now with married woman who finds marriage dull, wants to have an affair, finds life tough etc etc. This is very lightweight stuff. Maybe I am just biased against India Knight for slagging off the new Harry Potter in her column but as the last reader pointed out, the new Harry Potter does have more depth...

My Life On a Plate
My Life On a Plate by India Knight (Paperback - 3 Nov 2011)
7.08