4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!!
I found this book lying around the office and was bored so read it,and was suprised to find that I LOVED it, it was hilarious - laugh out loud funny, and I would recommend it to anyone as a light hearted quick read.
True its obvious whats going to happen, but arent all these books? Seriously funny though,this is not my genre at all so I was very suprised when I...
Published on 28 Feb 2005 by Village Seed

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read for a bit of relaxation
All in all a good read, some laugh out loud moments. Well worth reading if not wanting to work too hard. Perfect holiday reading.
Published on 21 Feb 2011 by SueF

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliantly predictable!!!, 10 Jun 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
This book is predictable from the outset, but this only makes you want to read it more so. I couldn't put it down. Its so funny and true to life. Thoroughly enjoyed it, I came to read the book by recommendation of a friend and am now keen to read more of India Knight's publishings. Thumbs up, Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars bliss, 15 May 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
I.K is in a league of her own and I didn't actually think that she could do it again, but she has, bigtime. If anything, this is better than My Life on A Plate. It made me choke with laughter, especially the playgroup stuff and the bad sex. The humour is almost savage and absolutely merciless ( I was at school with her, and she hasn't changed) , so maybe not one for the PC brigade. For the rest of us though, it's an unmissable treat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, but still a fun read, 2 April 2003
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
"Don't You Want Me?" has its funny moments, insights & character descriptions, but is definitely lacking in overall substance. The plot seems to be a weak modern interpretation of Jane Austen's "Emma," but while the Bridget Jones novels are successful in their use of Austen's classic plots, India Knight's characters are so bare and undeveloped that the attempt more or less fails. The plot is centered around the protagonist's sex life and never really confronts the more interesting issues of single motherhood and divorce, which are both relevant to the book. I was somewhat disappointed because "Don't You Want Me?" had the potential to be a lot better than it was. I'd recommend it for quick reading, but don't expect too much.

3.0 out of 5 stars high quality chick lit? No., 24 Jun 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
I'm sorry, this book just isn't very funny. India Knight is a great writer and My Life On A Plate was a funny book, if patchy, but this one doesn't hit the mark. For a start Stella is not convincing as a charecter, she doesn't come over as being half French (French children go to maternelle not kindergarten incidentally) and just about the only reason I could find for making her partially French was so her neighbour could go on about knowing Fench women 'gag for it'. That scene wasn't very funny either. And as for some of the jokes about sex - please. I get the feeling India Knight has dashed this book off in a bit of a hurry - the story line is indeed very thin and there are repetitions such as it always seems to be raining when she takes Honey out in her pushchair - and has deliberately tried to hit a newish market about late thirties women. Maybe the reason that it doesn't work is because she's not that old herself yet so can't get under her charecter's skin properly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tawdry, 30 May 2003
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
This book proves that just because you're a good journalist doesn't mean you can write good novels or create likeable characters. Other reviewers have outlined the plot, which is very thin. Whereas Wendy Holden's dirty dialogue is witty, here it's crude and embarrassing. It's not a book I'd be proud to have written. Thank God I read The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank straight afterwards. A funny, sexy, beautifully written book - like having a hot shower after travelling all night on a grubby train!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 July 2004
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
Oh dear. I SO wanted to like this book, after reading the excellent 'My Life on a Plate'. The plot and the characters are so unbelievably transparent especially the main character, who seems to drift through life feeling sorry for herself despite her HUGE Primrose Hill house, a daughter (another thin character that seems merely to be an accessory), childminders whenever she wants them and money for doing nothing much.
I haven't quite finished this book but I have a strong suspicion that the ending will involve her lodger. So I don't really have the will to go on with it but am only doing so because i paid for it.
If any other author had written this I might have given it two stars as it is wittier than most other chick-lit but because India Knight could do better than this I give it one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stop laughing out loud!!, 3 Sep 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
Great book!! I couldn't wait to pick it up again, i was even sneakily reading it under my desk at work but had to stop that as i kept laughing out loud!
Just the sort of book you need for the train on the way to work...a bit cheeky, but not full of flowery language about sex..just straight to the point!!
I have ordered India Knight's 1st book now so hope it makes me laugh as much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't you want me - No I dont.!, 2 Dec 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
Having read the reviews for this book on Amazon - and the Amazon word was sacrosanct for me - I chose to purchase this book in the hope of reading a romantic comedy. However, I made the mistake of assuming that it was a romantic comedy aimed at those of us who enjoy something at least mildy witty. The language used throughout was appallingly childish. The puns, when there were any, were utterly predictable. You could forsee the conclusion of the plot from reading the very first page. And even then there was no attempt to captivate the reader in a sweeping finale, by producing a witty ending. I didn't expect to read something intellectual when I opted to buy this book, but blimme, I didn't expect to have to regress to an 8 year old either. Pitiful from start to finish, an arduous bore throughout, pitched at those who may have no comparison with quality material. The only thing taxing about this book is the self-imposed resolve to finish reading it, having paid for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, made me laugh aloud, 13 May 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
...like My Life on a Plate, this isn't chick-lit, more hen lit, and it's light years ahead of the rest. Stella is a single mother living in a large house in leafy Primrose Hill with her little girl, Honey. She has a lodger, the ginger artist Frank whose sexual tom-catting and hair-colour she finds repulsive, even before the father of her child told her he has an abandoned kid of his own.
Stella hasn't had sex for two years and, in between attending a hideously PC nursery in which she's the only one to get out the Dettox, she goes on the pull. Her adventures are hysterically funny, though nothing matches the comedy of the scene in which she and her best friend (also a single mum) solemnly discuss which engine they fancy the most which is the best scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 28 May 2002
This review is from: Don't You Want Me? (Paperback)
This book is great, but don't let anyone tell you it isn't 'chick-lit'- it is, absolutely, and of the very highest quality.
This is comedy romantic fiction that couldn't have a more obvious outcome- something Knight acknowledges on the first five pages- and it will keep you up late at night and in fits of laughter (my personal favourite: 'men with feminine buttocks'), just as excellent popular fiction should.

Don't You Want Me?
Don't You Want Me? by India Knight (Paperback - 3 Nov 2011)
8.99