5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down. Inspiring.
I received the book on Tuesday, and by Thursday I had finished it- I was hooked! I am not much of a reader, but this book came highly recommended from a friend and so I thought I would give it a go. I am certainly glad I did!

Published on 25 Jan 2011 by David Aspinall

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoped for better
Having read this book immediately after billy browns "I'll tell your mother" I was slightly disappointed.Cant really put my finger on the reason why,maybe it was just a little boring or was it the fact that he went on and on about his inability to read and write and how it haunted him all his life,I'm in the minority I know and if I came from Liverpool perhaps I...
Published 4 months ago by Tony

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down. Inspiring., 25 Jan 2011
This review is from: A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams (Paperback)

You get to follow Jeffs inspiring and remarkable story from when he was a young boy growing up in impoverished surroundings in 1950s Liverpool, to him working his way to becoming a multi millionaire, with all the trappings. I think that because you know get to know Jeff as a young boy you really get to care about how his life turns out, and that spurns you on to read the next page. Each Chapter is jam packed with anecdotes, some that will make you laugh out loud, and some that will move you. It is so descriptive that you really feel like you are there with him.

It is rags to riches, back to rags, then back to riches story full of twists and turns, that keep you interested and wanting more!

5.0 out of 5 stars An awe inspiring story of human endeavor and dogged determination against all the odds., 13 Feb 2011
Mr. C. Leech (Cheshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams (Paperback)
Firstly, this book is simply an unforgettable read, an incredible story of the rise, fall, and meteoric rise again of a straight talking lad from the back streets of Liverpool. It details the trials and tribulations of a guy who,although seriously handicapped with the inability to read or write and born into real poverty, reaches the very top of his profession not once, but twice. Jeff Pearce shows how, with boundless energy, unshakeable self belief, and an unbelievable level of determination, anything is possible. His life story is a breathless journey of extraordinary achievements, phenomenal financial success (and failure), mind boggling experiences, all based on an insatiable desire to succeed. With the unconditional support of the two women in his life, Jeff takes on, and overcomes, challenges mere mortals would fear to tread.

This book tells this amazing story. Don,t miss the opportunity to read it as, in all probability, it will change your life!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams (Paperback)
Wow! What can I say?! To put it simply, what a great book! I am a 24 year old lad that hasnt read a book in a long, long time indeed, due to losing interest by the time i've finished the book. However this book was completely different in the way I couldnt put it down! I must say it was so interesting to observe Jeff's life from a young boy in a post war liverpool slum and his journey through life to becoming a millionaire losing it all and personaly my favourite bit...getting it back!
This book touches on every aspect of life and personally found it educational, emotional, funny and leaves you with a great sense of passion to succeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story of rags to riches (literally!), 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams (Paperback)
I enjoy reading people's accounts of their lives and this one was a 'rise to fame' from rags to riches story.

Early childhood - charming
Jeff Pearce describes his childhood in a charming way. His mother would do anything for her children and introduced him to working on the markets from a young age, selling clothes she had bought from the rag and bone man and been up all night mending.

Trading is in his blood
His taste for trading, particularly in clothes is the theme to his life as he grows up, he knows this is what he wants to do despite being given the short shrift from his careers adviser.

Challenges
Life is not on Jeff's side, he struggles to read and write into adulthood but he is determined to succeed and repeatedly picks himself up and dusts himself off.

Women are his inspiration
The women in Jeff's life are inspirational and supporting. He idolises his mother to beyond the grave and uses her as his muse.

Recession hits
The recession features heavily toward the end of the book, demonstrating the true price many successful businesses paid. Losing his house and all his money Jeff has to start again but he is inspiring in the way he gets on and does this for the sake of his family.

Favourite bits
Despite his father, the family bond is so strong in this book. Jeff has a great relationship with his siblings and mother. He's definitely a worker too - from his early days on the markets to building sites, bar work, bouncer to chef and more market stalls and shops. He commanded my respect from early pages onwards.

Final thoughts
I loved reading this book and tore through it. I'm not particularly interested in the fashion industry but nevertheless enjoyed reading Jeff's account, especially the challenges he found in his early childhood. The description of the swimming baths, bath house, ice rink and markets in Liverpool are evocative and rich.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale of love, loss, and success, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams (Paperback)
As a young lad growing up during hard times in 1950's Liverpool and beyond, Jeff Pearce spent much of his early life begging rags from the rich, to help his beloved mother turn them into clothes to sell on the markets. Life was hard and money was tight, with Jeff's dad often squandering the food money, yet Jeff learned many important lessons and enjoyed learning the ropes of trading.

With his mum as his mentor and friend, Jeff worked hard, believing that this would one day equal wealth and success. Yet it all looks a little unlikely when Jeff leaves school at 14 to enter the workplace and help support the family. With severe Dyslexia, and having been told by a teacher that he would never amount to anything in life, Jeff is determined to prove her and others wrong, and is eager to rise above the slum life he knew and carve out a new life for himself.

Unfortunately Jeff's mum soon falls ill, and eventually passes away, leaving him heartbroken but determined to make her proud of him. It is fair to say that the relationship they shared was a very strong one, and one which had a profound impact on Jeff and the way he relates to people and the world around him.

After a series of jobs, Jeff meets Gina and they fall in love and set up business together, selling teenage fashion on the local markets. Soon their business expands and they are able to open a shop, and from here their business goes from strength to strength. They become very wealthy, have two children, and continue to work hard and enjoy their extravagent lifestyle and all the trappings of wealth.

But then the recession hits, and very quickly they lose the house and business they have worked so hard to achieve. Jeff is forced back out on the markets, but decides to start again at building his fashion empire. Times are very tough indeed so can he deliver on his promise?

This book was really enjoyable and is different to many of the other 'true life' stories out there. For a start, there is no awful child abuse element, and nothing really terrible happens. In fact, this is an uplifting tale and despite the poverty, Jeff had a happy and colourful upbringing. Much emphasis is placed on friendships formed, and strong family relationships. Even Jeff's dad is not all bad, and despite being a drinker and irresponsible, still loves his family. The childhood section of the book tells the story of a different time, where many people were in a similar boat, and people pulled together and helped each other out.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the references to life in a bygone time, when things were easier in some ways, but harder in others. It was interesting to read about the excitement television was causing, and to hear about the rag and bone man, and how the world was changing rapidly at the time, with people trying to embrace the changes without really understanding them.

The characters are strong and likeable, and I was rooting for Jeff and his family throughout all their triumphs and struggles. I wanted him to do well, as he is the kind of person who never gives up, despite many a door being slammed in his face over the years.

The values instilled in Jeff, thanks to his beloved mother are strong ones, and as such he has a sound work ethic, respect, and old-fashioned family values. He looks after people and has charisma and charm, inherited from his wayward father.

This is a really enjoyable book, and I read it eagerly. As well as being well-written in a storytelling style, it is easy to relate to. Yes there is poverty, but nothing that would have been unusual at the time of Jeff's childhood, and yes there is loss, but there are also themes relating to success, failure, family, loyalty, love and of course triumph over adversity.

5.0 out of 5 stars An insperation, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams (Paperback)
I bought `A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams' by Jeff Pearce as I am dyslexic myself, and therefore want to read biographies by other dyslexics, (rather rare, for obvious reasons), who have been successful.

The core of this biography is a man really loved for himself and supported emotionally by his mother. It is if he has absorbed this love, and shines it back to those all around him. This effect even happens just by reading `A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams'.

The style of the writing has pace and wit and I could not put it down once I had started it. Jeff Pierce tells his story through the market rag trade to millionaire shop owner status and then back again with many lessons to budding entrepreneurs along the way.

Mr. Pearce, thank you for writing this book and I will recommend it to my 700 facebook friends.

Alexis Hunter
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy TV drama or Film material, 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams (Paperback)
One of the best rags to riches stories in print to date.
An excellent read from beginning to end and a book hard to put down.
In my opinion, it could be made into a very good TV drama or film....
I'm waiting in anticipation!

5.0 out of 5 stars unmissable, 31 Jan 2011
howard thacker (South Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
I received this book only last week, it being recommended by a good friend.
I read a great deal and read this in just 2 sessions, I enjoyed the story immensely, I don't know if a follow up is possible but if there is one, mark me down for the first copy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to review further, 27 Jun 2011
XTR84 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams (Paperback)
Everything about this book has been said in previous reviews. Great story, well said by a remarkable man. I can't recommend it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Jun 2011
I read this on my kindle and was totally enthralled. I had difficulty put it away to sleep at night. The story transported you to era that you have lived in and experienced and brought back so many memories
Excellent read

A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams
A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams by Jeff Pearce (Paperback - 20 Jan 2011)