5.0 out of 5 stars Cynical Adolescent, or Innocent In A Cynical World?
This book has been challenged and banned in many places since its publication. It is amusing to think that, nowadays, as if it were given an age rating it would probably only get a PG, or a 12.

Critics have described Holden as a cynical teenager, but maybe we should reconsider that thought and turn it back on itself? Holden is an innocent, he can barely cope...
Published on 15 May 2006 by H. Pierce

3.0 out of 5 stars I Missed the boat
I think I was too old when I first read this book. This is a book which should be read in one's late teens, preferably alongside the discovery of Sylvia Plath. It is one of the classic novels of disaffected youth, a young man, lost in his own life, wanders aimlessly making chance encounters which force him to look at his experiences and potentially make meaning out of...
Published on 26 May 2008 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

‹ Previous | 148 49 5054 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars What the fuss is all about..., 2 April 2008
María José García Ferrer (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
I have read The Catcher in the Rye twice and I do not seem to be able to learn to love this book as most people say it deserves. I find myself unable to sympathise with the main character and I see the story as irrelevant and depressing.I keep on hoping Holden is a rarity and not an average teenager.The only character I love and the story I like the most is that of the dead brother Allie. His love for his siblings is the main character's only redeeming trait in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 5 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
Having heard all the hype over this "Modern Classic" and how it would give me a whole new perspective on life and all that, I finally got `round to reading it, only to be left feeling completely unsatisfied.

Don't get me wrong- I can totally see how some people can relate to this book, but funnily enough, the people I can imagine relating to this book are the same people that sit at the back of my French class discussing how screwed over their lives are because "No one understands them".

But although I was disappointed, I still don't think the book is a complete failure. I mean, at the beginning, I found the writing style quite clever, and I found the language used for the narration amusing, but the novelty wore off after the first 3 chapters and I was left with the HIGHLY irritating character of Holden Caulfield.

Overall, I found this book unsatisfying and a waste of time because there was no plot, just a series of boring day-to-day situations filled with dull, characters with no depth at all. But I would recommend reading it, because who knows- you could love it, but sadly- its not the book for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read. Not corny at all, 16 July 2009
Mr. S. S. Nock (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
My reason for buying the book was that it is considered as one of the classics, and for good reason. The style of writing is fantastic. I wouldn't say unique, but it definitely gives a good feel for the story and you feel extremely in touch with the main character, Holden.

Before I bought and read the book, I was told it was very "teenage angst" orientated. I felt this opinion on reading this book as well. It feels very juvenile, but this only adds to the quality within.

The only other thing I would say about this book is that there is no preface or comments or anything about the text, before or after. I found this an advantage, as I prefer to create my own opinions rather than have ideas in my head before I begin. Pure unadulterated story. Just the way I like it

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 14 Oct 2014
v.good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 July 2014
Superb

1.0 out of 5 stars A So Called Classic, 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading what I was led to believe was a classic. One of my all-time must-read books.
At the end, apart from just a few, brief stimulating pages (right at the end of the book) my brain was petrified with the bordeom.
Overrated - yes. Worth the 1 star I gave it? No, but I couldn't seem to rate it lower than that otherwise I would have.
Salinger writes in a boring, repetative, predictive manner.
Things "nearly" happen - lots of times. Very little does actually happen.
Key points (presumably a school collegue swallow-diving to his death out of a window was meant to be one?) are skimped over and leave you wondering whether they are key points or just padding.
The main character, Holden, is boring at best and mostly irritating.
Descriptions for backgrounds and even characters are thin and weak.
But my biggest problem, is trying to establish if there is a way I can sue either the publishers or some US Government Department for having wasted most of the last couple of days of my life with this drivel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely rubbish, 16 Sep 2003
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
I've read my fair share of books over the years and when I decided to buy Catcher in the Rye, I was looking forward to a "classic". Unfortunately, I was left with the worst book I have ever read. Everything about it was poor.

Firstly, it spends two weeks in the life of an adolescent who thinks he is an adult and wants to act like one, but fails miserably.
Secondly, and the more important of the two, the way the book is written is a joke. All Salinger does is repeat himself over and over again. He constantly uses phrases like "I told him that, I really did" and everyone that Holden Caufield meets is "phony, they really are".
For a book of just over 200 pages, it took me a long time to plough my way through it.
I think this book is only famous for the wrong reasons. Had John Lennon still been alive this books sales would be significantly less than it is.
This is one to be avoided like the plague. A disaster.

4.0 out of 5 stars ..., 23 May 2004
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
I read this book after reading Blake Nelson's Girl. Because it was dubbed as a modern day Catcher in the Rye. Plus, it was on my English reading list this year. I had to read the book over and over again to get my head round it. It outlined what rebellion may have been like when it was written. I found it interesting and testing. It didn't change my life at all. But I enjoyed it because I like the monologue voice style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Sep 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Fab, 20 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
This book is absolutely brilliant. I'm just a student and I am aspiring to write like Salinger one day.

‹ Previous | 148 49 5054 | Next ›

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye by J. Salinger (Paperback - 4 Mar 2010)