5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 22 Jan. 2012 by Avid reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken Promise
Published on 27 Feb. 2012 by D. Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Jan. 2012
I have just read The Promise, the sequel to Lesley Pearse's Belle. I have no words to adequately describe this author's writing. She grabs the reader's attention from the first page and it is extremely difficult to put the book down once started. I was introduced to Lesley Pearse's writing with her title Remember Me several years ago through a friend's recommendation and from that point on I read every title she had written and eagerly awaited her latest release. The Promise was a continuation of Belle's story at the commencement of WWI and the book did not fail me. My interest was kept alive throughout the book and now that I have read it, in about two days, there is a feeling of utter disappointment that there are no more chapters to read. I cannot praise Lesley Pearse enough. She researches the facts of her story and somehow manages to hold the reader's interest. Thank you Lesley for yet another wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story for a long winter's evening, 15 Jan. 2012
Mrs. V. Bradley "bookaholic" (Kidderminster, Worcs., England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Promise is the first Lesley Pearce book I have read, and I must admit I was impressed. I didn't realise until I had the book in my hand that there had been an earlier one about Belle, but there was sufficient information in this one to enable me to understand what had gone on before. The amount of research that Lesley Pearce must have done on the First World War and its impact on soldiers and civilians alike was massive and really made the story attimes read more like fact than fiction. I found the characters true to life and at times I actually felt I was there living through their hopes and fears with them. There was much happiness in the early part of the book before Belle's husband Jimmy volunteers to join the army, but as the story develops sadness, pain, hatred and bitterness evolve. As I was reading the book I really felt that some of the characters had become my friends. However, as in all good stories there is a happy ending; one that I hoped to read about but didn't expect
would happen. I don't want to spoil the story by revealing more but suffice to say its a rattling good read and one I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars as Belle settles back to life with her loved ones ... will she ever get her happy ever after???, 8 Jan. 2012
Petra just a girl who loves to read... "book ... (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Promise by Lesley Pearse was a brilliant conclusion too the first book in this short series Belle. I to be truthful first received The Promise from Amazon Vine and as I read the book though I was enjoying reading it I felt when the author referred back to the first book, I was missing out a lot of Belle's history which would make my enjoyment and understanding of this book so much more. I downloaded the first book for my kindle and as I read Belle's heartbreaking story in the book of the same name, I will admit at times there was parts I found hard to read as the abuse which Belle suffered was wrote about with clarity and detail(this is in the first book only). Even with this uncomfortable details in the first book, I would still recommend the book to other readers but I still believe as I said in my review of the first book believe that readers should be warned there is some parts which readers would have difficulty reading, though I found to book to be a fascinating read. The author, Lesley Pearse has a fantastic gift of story telling which constantly holds the readers attention.
In this book "The Promise" Belle is back in England and she is running the store she has always dreamed of doing, she is married and settled and seems to be happy in life. I to be honest thought she had done all her suffering in the first book and I was expecting a life of domestic bliss. But trouble always finds Belle but what I liked about the character of Belle, she will not lie down and just accept what life throws at her but she will fight for what she believes in and she truly is a woman who faces life with a wonderful strength of character.
This book follows Belle as she serves her country in any way she can but still holds the love of her family within her heart. She lets no-one walk over her but she has a heart of gold and she holds close friendships which she makes are precious to her and she will support her friends and loved ones through thick and thin.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough as it truly was a fantastic read, you will follow Belle to the fields of war in France and then back home again to face wars of her own which she faces with that same terrific strength of character. Her travelling is not finished here and she has many miles to travel before she finds the happy ever after she has pined for so long, there is much heartache and pain throughout her journey which we follow in this wonderful book but then I think it makes the happiness she craves so much more precious for her when she finally does find it. The Promise which was made too her in the first book will be honoured in the second book which made this book even more satisfying to read.
What I loved about reading this book was that the authors writing was so clear and vivid I could see what the characters seen and I could understand the pain and strife which Belle had to suffer daily usually by the hands of others. Never before have I read a book of fiction where the author has missed nothing from the suffering of those that fought in the first world war. The vivid descriptions of the terrible conditions which those poor soldiers had to not only fight through but live through. The squalid conditions which no animal should have ever suffered but men of so many countries fought together, the filth and muck they had to endure and where they fell was usually where they died. I learned so much from reading this book as the author's research was the best I have read fiction wise, I usually find when reading books which are fiction the authors usually give small descriptions or just show some of the suffering but I can honestly say the descriptions which was used in this book I can see what they suffered so much more than I ever could have imagined. This is the best book I have ever read which was based on this period as nothing was missed, as the author clearly wanted her readers to know the actual full suffering of those men that fought through the First World War.
The Promise by Lesley Pearse is one book I would give ten stars if I could and I recommend it to anyone who loves books which are based on the first world war and the surrounding years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Promise, 28 Dec. 2011
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read many of Lesley Pearse's books, was really looking forward to this one and was not disappointed. Read it within a couple of days as it was impossible to put down. The research that goes into Lesley's novels always amazes me and really 'sets the scene' for the reader which is especially helpful if a novel is set in a time about which you have little or limited knowledge. Really enjoyed catching up with Belle and her friends and finding out what challenges they faced. It is probably a good idea (although not essential) to read 'Belle' before reading 'The Promise' as knowing her past and her friendships helps you understand this latest book more easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but after that - gripping!, 28 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must confess to not having read Belle, but this sequel gives so much of the story of that book that I don't really have any desire to go back and read it.
I found the first hundred pages or so very domestic and a lot less than compelling, but when the story moved into WW1 territory it took fire for me and I found the rest of the book, minus the New Zealand episode, totally gripping. Familiar territory, yes, but very well told, and the characters came into their own, especially Belle's friend, the top-drawer Miranda, and the other ambulance drivers in France. It is said that portraying a 'saint' in fiction is a very difficult thing, and Belle does her best not to be 'saintly' but her goodness is a bit hard to take at times.
Glad I read this, generally enjoyed it, and certainly feel it worth four stars for the middle section alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken Promise, 27 Feb. 2012
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Author Lesley Pearse's books have sold millions, her previous `Belle' was a no. 1 best-seller, and now her latest `The Promise' is in The Sunday Times fiction book list. It is a sequel featuring Belle as the main protagonist alongside 2 lovers as major characters plus her family connections. Unfortunately this results in characters not being truly developed in the narrative as it relies on background from the previous novel with aspects of Belle's earlier experiences restated. This repetitive approach continues throughout `The Promise' to the extent it virtually fails to stand alone, and even with the additional characters introduced they all tend to fall by the wayside or disappear from the story. The author introduces a series of disjointed sub-plots that add interest but as well as being fairly predictable these involve an unbelievable number of far-fetched coincidences - so making for a lightweight overall story. However though `The Promise' lacks substance as a novel it is redeemed by graphic accounts of folly and brutality from the First World War covering not just the horror of the trenches and the appalling front line medical aid but also the consequences of death and injury on those directly involved and those back at home. Even here there is repetition and at over 500 pages the book is too long for its subject matter. .The war and the following Spanish `flu epidemic have clearly been well researched, but `The Promise' could benefit from editing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Belle returns..., 1 Jan. 2012
Sukie (South Coast) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Promise continues the story of Belle, who features in an earlier novel by Lesley Pearse (but don't worry if you haven't read it - I hadn't, and found it was easy to pick up the threads of previous storylines).
The novel begins just before the start of the first World War. Belle is happily married to Jimmy and the two of them live with his uncle Garth and wife Mog, a close friend of Belle's. Belle is running her own hat shop and making a good name for herself when Etienne appears unannounced. Etienne is a French friend who helped rescue her from a life of forced prostitution in the past, and Belle and he have strong feelings for one another. Belle tries to forget him, as she loves her husband, and is soon distracted by the joy of her pregnancy.
The war begins and Jimmy enlists, and travels to France. Belle's life too becomes more turbulent and she ends up volunteering at a local hospital before going to France herself with her friend Miranda.
To say much more would give away some of the twists and turns that unfold within the story but I can say that Pearse gives us an unflinching, well-researched account of the war - with gruesome accounts of life in the trenches, the courage and stamina of the medical teams in France and England, and the hardships and anxiety faced by those left behind.
I really enjoyed this novel. Pearse is a consummate story-teller, populating her novel with strong, believable characters and sending them on difficult and often painful journeys. There is action, betrayal, friendship, despair, sadness and love, and above all, a great leading lady in Belle. This is story-telling at its best - a real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A top read, 28 Dec. 2011
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I struggle with womens fiction.....I rarely find books that interest me enough and that are as enjoyable as all the fiction that absorbed me as a child.

I dont like books about crime (I work in law & order) about celebrity worlds, or other far flung reads, I do however enjoy family sagas, historical novels and stories about life in general.

I was instantly attracted to this book (having never read any of her other books) by the blurb and It did not disappoint me.....I was interested from the front page and read it all over Christmas when I had a few days off work. I really liked the characters in it and I just thought the story was lovely.

I will certainly go on to read more by this author now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Lesley's best., 27 July 2012
This review is from: The Promise (Belle 2) (Paperback)
I have read all of Lesley Pearse's books but felt this was not up to her usual very high standard. As the follow up to Belle, which was a brilliant book, I was really looking forward to the sequel. However, it wasn't nearly so "page turning". The Promise was far more predictable and felt a bit "Mills & Boon" at times.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but a conicedence too far, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Promise (Belle 2) (Paperback)
I have to agree with other reviews regarding Lesley Pearse's writing and storytelling, she remains my favourite. After finishing 'Belle' and reading the preview of 'The Promise' I could hardly wait for it to be published. In the event, however, I left the book wishing I (and Lesley) had left Belle at the end of her eponymous story...
I'm all in favour of artistic license in storytelling but there were just too many, too far-fetched, coincedences in this story for me sadly. With 'Belle' I felt every emotion and it felt so real, whereas with 'The Promise', the coincedences detracted from this somewhat. Reading the synopsis I thought it was going to require an open mind to buy into Belle meeting up again with Etienne in France during the war, but that he also bumped into Jimmy, both casually at a pub as well as on the battlefield, and also her best friend at a nearby inn was too much.
This sounds a very negative review, so it seems odd to say it, but I DID enjoy reading 'The Promise' as a holiday read, and I continued to love Mog & Belle's relationship. Also, the heartache of war and its horrific consequences WAS brilliantly portrayed. My 3-star rating is probably based more on my disappointement having anticipated it so much... 3 and a half would be more realistic!

The Promise (Belle 2)
The Promise (Belle 2) by Lesley Pearse (Paperback - 5 July 2012)