Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 July 2014
BEST FOOTBALL BOOK EVER. OUTSTANDING.
on 24 September 2014
Good if you like football
on 6 January 2015
A must for football fans
on 22 August 2006
I finally got found to reading this book recently and I wasn't that impressed. Although Hornby sums up a lot of the experiences of being a football fan well, something doesn't work; he never really gets to the bottom of the pain of defeat (and particularly relegation). OK so he's an Arsenal fan and so he's not experienced this, but this is still a book written resolutely from a successful, big club perspective. This, for me, is the main drawback with the impact of this book; it is only really 'true' to the experiences of a very few fans - those of the elite 6 or 7 perenially successful English football teams. But because its influence was so broad it has been adopted as the standard 'excuse book' for newcomer, fairweather fans.
on 10 August 2014
Absolutely loved it! I watch football frequently but am not a fan as such but that is beside the point. This book is so beautifully written that I had a big sense of loss when I ended while on holiday (with no access to any other book that I liked, I started re-reading it with pleasure). It is way more than a book about football and gives you an insight into the lives of fans but more importantly to part of life in the UK. I had read other books from Hornby (Long way down, How to be good and About a boy) all of which I liked but none anywhere to the same degree. Would recommend it very highly.
on 13 April 2001
This book is amazing it can speak on the level that all other footbal fans understand. Its as if finding another relative but someone who understands the sport we all love
on 5 March 2016
love these guys
I pretty much hate all forms of football. The fact that I read a book about football (to the British, that is: the rest of the world calls it soccer) from cover to cover, smirking, chuckling and at times laughing out loud, attests, once again, to the talent of Nick Hornby as a wordsmith. This book is witty and clever, incredibly insightful about obsession and definitely worth a read!
on 18 February 2002
This football dedication/autobiography of Nick Hornbys passion for Arsenal football club was excellent. His vivid recollection of almost every Arsenal game was fascinating and proved that once a gunner always a gunner. His relationship with his father and distant relatives (new stepmother and brother) is good to read as it is an occasional break from the overwhelming amount of football information throughout. This book is one of the best writers debuts that I have ever been privilleged to read. I leave out one star due to the almost boring amountof football in it.
on 15 February 2015
What a boring book !
Really struggled to get into it and had to force myself to read it. I have no idea of the story.
I only bought this as my sons English teacher suggested we read this book.