4.0 out of 5 stars Entertrainingly about footbal obsession
Fever Pitch is indeed different Hornby. Kinda his autobiography, but excluding a lot of things. Hornby is definitely obcessed with footbal. "Get a life", I would like to say at some points of the book.
Published on 21 Aug. 2005 by Faith

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible to a Non-Fanatic
First, I enjoyed this book. Well written and easy to read.

Enough has been said about its content so I'll skip that.
Published on 14 Mar. 2012 by Probus888

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertrainingly about footbal obsession, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Hardcover)
Footbal-fans like Hornby are definitely crazy. Still Hornby manages to write in an entertraining way about the theme. I don't care a thing for footbal and still i was rather entertrained by the book. I don't really know anything about footbal. The only games I sometimes watch are world/European cup games where my fave teams (Sweden and England (Finland is worthless on footbal) play. Ok, I do of cource wish that "my team" winns, but it can sertaninly not make or destroy my day.
But all in all it was nice to get the fans point of view footbal. The Swedich subtitle "En i laget" is indeed quite correct. Wonder why Hornby himself didn't think of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Football: pleasure or pain?, 28 Dec. 1998
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
Football crazy, football mad, so goes the old song. This book explains it all and a bit more. The pleasures and the pains of supporting Arsenal: its potential for male bonding and its potential for wrecking relationships, are all here. Amusing and just a bit sad at the same time. As a paid up member of the totally sad football maniac club myself, it was nice to learn that other team's supporters suffer too but its true football can bring meaning to a life that's meaningless, even if that meaning is just a bit specious. But, the book is not actually about football at all. Just like Hornby's other book High Fidelity, its a thinly disguised plea for understanding from an unreconstructed guy in a post-feminist age. So plenty for everyone then.

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible to a Non-Fanatic, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Kindle Edition)
First, I enjoyed this book. Well written and easy to read.

Enough has been said about its content so I'll skip that.
As a non football fanatic (don't get me wrong, as a bloke, I enjoy watching football but it's not the end of the earth if Liverpool lose) I was no clearer to understanding Hornby's attitude at the end of this book than I was at the start.

Hornby says "The things that I have often tried to explain to people about football - that it is not an escape, or a form of entertainment, but a different version of the world" sums it up. But I still didn't get it. His mindset is as alien to mine as a fundamentalist mullah's is.

Worth reading, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious and intelligent analysis of a fan's obsession, 28 May 2001
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
An extremely intelligent, well-written and humorous description of the psyche of a football fan, the author. "Fever Pitch is an attempt to gain some kind of angle on my obsession." The obsession being Arsenal, or perhaps just the Arsenal ground, Highbury, as Hornby rarely attends away games. It is also an autobiographical romp from 1957-1991. Those who did not grow up in Britain during the 60s and 70s, or who are not familiar with football, or who are not interested in British society or football will probably (but not certainly) find this book hard to read and in many places boring. However, I think the book stands on its own feet as an investigation into a fan's obsession. The flashes of forthright honesty are as funny as Roseanne. Hornby is fascinated and frankly appalled by the selfishness and immaturity of his obsession, yet also mystified by it to the point of awe. "The truth is: for alarmingly large chunks of an average day, I am a moron" (page 2!) And towards the end: "Pete and I left around twelve, I guess, for a three p.m., Sunday afternoon kick-off, and got there just in time. It was an awful game, unspeakable, a nil-nil draw in freezing conditions�c and it was live on television, so we could have stayed at home. My powers of self-analysis fail me completely here; I don't know why we went. We just did." With such endearing writing, Hornby won me over. I also found his comments on the past, present and future of British (well OK, English) football illuminating - especially on hooliganism and disasters like Hillsborough. This was the first Nick Hornby book I read, and I definitely want to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fever pitch, 26 Jun. 2010
Luke Thrower (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
Fever pitch is a football novel by long time Arsenal fan , Nick hornby. Maybe just to show off but my copy is slightly different to the one above , as I have the Arsenal membership copy, including a foreword by Nick saying goodbye to highbury, but anyway on with the story.

===Story===
Fever pitch is essentialy a diary , telling about the Nicks childhood and his parents divorce , his life as a teacher and his relationships. So the book isn't all about his beloved arsenal but it does have the love stroyline and his refferences to his family. Mainly because football is the only thing he has as a common ground with his father.
Set between 1968 and 1992 , we see how Nicks life can be rememberd by certain events occuring alongside football , not only Arsenal , but his time as a student following Cambridge and a spell managing a school team , it all comes into place and means it's a nice story for men and women.
Reminding me of a moment in black books , the perfect book for men and women, A man trying to stop a nuclear holocaust whilst trying to marry his wife.

===Writing===
By putting it in the style of a diary , the memories are much more real and allow you to feel more connected the writer. All in all its a much more emotional story because you only see things from one point of view and have to imagine how the other characters are really reacting outside of the story.
For a football fan , its also intresting to read about the authors memories of moments like watching pele, or what he was doing when he heard about the hillsbrough disaster.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 14 Aug. 2005
Mr. O. Worth (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
I received this book from a friend as a birthday present, who chose it because of its subject knowing I was a big football fan. Perhaps this was a rather misguided choice, though, as although Fever Pitch is based around Hornby's childhood (and early manhood) experiences of football, it is so much more than a run-of-the-mill football book. Its beautifully crafted life experience stories are, admittedly, set around key Arsenal matches in the 1980s, but if this were to put of non-football fans it would truly be a shame. Unlike many authors, especially in this genre, Hornby has a gift of true communication - throughout the book one gets the feeling of being with him as he searches for the purpose of his life, and the position of his hobby-come-obsession within that.
Although for non-football fans the match descriptions may seem dull and unappealing, they make up only a small percentage of the book and are included in such a way as to be intrinsic to the storyline rather than as an added extra to appeal to the terraces. It is in crafting this into his personal life that Hornby achieves his real success, and creates what many believe to be the best football book ever.
But don't forget, this book isn't just about Arsenal, or even football, but about how a young Londoner grows up, and learns to live his own life. A heart-warming tale, not to be overlooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best football book ever written., 1 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Hardcover)
Hornsby's Fever Pitch is a rarity: a bio-documentary, written by an insider, which manages to find universal themes within a specialized topic. It's a book which both an Oxford Humanist and a terrace-rat can savor totally. As a first-generation American, I gained a deep insight into my father's experiences as a footballer in Scotland and England during the 30's; although he became a US citizen in '50, he never lost the identity created on the pitch during his youth and young adulthood. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 Oct. 2010
M. V. Clarke (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
This is a well-known and brilliant book about being a football supporter, in which Nick Hornby recalls his experiences of growing up watching Arsenal. He experiences joy, frustration, embarrasment, optimism, pessimism and a whole lot more. There are genuiunely funny moments as he recounts the degree of his obsession, and touching moments too, as he talks about his family and friends and the effect football has had on them. FOr me, reading this book nearly 20 years after it was written, it was fascinating to consider Hornby's worries, hopes and concerns for the future of football with the benefit of hindsight. Even in the early 1990s he is expressing concern about the rising ticket prices for top-division football, and the resulting change in the constitution of crowds, and attempts to deal with football-related violence and crowd trouble. This is all extremely interesting in the light of more recent financial problems in football, the persistence of hooliganism and such issues. It's also fascinating to look at how the game has changed; even in the time Hornby covers, he notes how the clubs that win the league have changed - a small number of dominant clubs are emerging, and this trend has of course continued since the dawn of the Premier League. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning book about growing up as an obsessive., 3 Mar. 1999
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
This glorious book is often considered adult writing. But from my view, that of a twelve year old obsessive, it is also a great book. For both football lovers and haters, this book contains Hornby's opinions on families, class, masculinity, disasters, life, and of course, football. I think this book is the best football book ever and the author should write for the country. Even if you've watched the film, this is a super book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sporting Masterpiece, 4 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
"Fever Pitch is a heartfelt and occasionally too self-deprecating attempt to explain how someone becomes a rabid fan of the English soccer club Arsenal. Definitely not for those in search of facts, Pele anecdotes, or soccer history, the book is as much about obsession and a sensitive young man's search for direction and community as it is about goals and penalty kicks.Amazingly in the UK, soccer is still regarded as the working class equivalent of weekly entertainment and for somebody who is a Cambridge graduate to describe life in the stands as well as the high and lows of a genuinely top performing club reflects prose of the highest standard.Arsenal were a team who in the 1980's were overshadowed by their North London rivals, Tottenham; Whereas the latter symbolized free flowing football, Arsenal were regarded as simply 'boring' The turnaround in fortunes has been dramatic, and I can feel for Hornby when he describes his team's greatest moment in winning the League Final of 1987 against Liverpool. I'm a Spurs fan and I ought to hate this book. I loved it because at the end of the day despite the author's footballing affinities, he has written a sporting masterpiece !

Fever Pitch
Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby (Paperback - 6 May 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01