5.0 out of 5 stars Superb
I know I'm up against a lot of Hornby's critics here when I say that I absolutely loved this book. I loved the tone of persistent comic-melancholia; the questioning attitude of the book to relationships and genuine selflessness... and its humour, with characters representing the quirks and failings on both sides of the argument.

It was the first Hornby book I...
Published on 5 Feb 2010 by G. Brock

3.0 out of 5 stars How to be average
I too found this book a little disappointing! I've read all his others and was looking forward to reading this one, however it never really gripped me. The plot seemed to swing about, leaving characters like her brother and lover incomplete. The actual idea of the book, what would happen if North London liberals really began wearing their hearts on their sleeves, becoming...
Published on 18 Jun 2002 by Mr S D'Arcy

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend it, very enjoyable and an intriguing read., 30 May 2001
This review is from: How to be Good (Hardcover)
*At long last the newest novel! Highly recommended. This would not be classified as a traditional Nick Horby novel. This time Mr. Horby is telling the story more from a woman's point-of-view. Also he touches on what one considers a slip from the right track. Does one person think being unfaithful should mean the end of a marriage? Can the person be forgiven?

4.0 out of 5 stars funny, well-observed and readable, 13 April 2002
This review is from: How to be Good (Paperback)
In spite of what others say about Hornby's poor development of characters I did find the book enjoyable. I think he has been successful in writing from a female point of view, although being a man myself I may not be the best to judge. There are holes in the plot and development but the themes touched upon seem to me worth looking at; selfishness, guilt, world-weariness, marriage etc indeed "how to be good" are all treated seriously but with plenty of well-observed and pertinent humour. I read the book on holiday and enjoyed being made to think as well laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, one of Hornby's best., 8 July 2001
This review is from: How to be Good (Hardcover)
This is one of Hornby's best books, although different from his others in the way that it is deeper and more quetsion-provoking, with that same humorous touch that makes Hornby's literature so likeable. Written from a woman's point of view, it confirms the belief that Hornby really can write from all perspecitves. If you enjoyed 'High Fidelity' and 'About A Boy,' then I can guaruntee that you will find 'How To Be Good' equally brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hornby's best so far, 25 Sep 2002
Mr. T. G. Rossetti (Washington, DC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to be Good (Paperback)
Having read and enjoyed Nick Hornby's previous books, I was expecting to enjoy this one too. In fact, it exceeded my expectations and turned out to be an extremely profound book.
... Katie Carr is not the sort of person who usually turns up in books or films. She isn't phenomenally attractive, she doesn't come up with hilarious one-liners and she doesn't have a heart of gold. In short, she's just a normal person like the rest of us. She can't change the world but is just trying to do what she can within her own sphere.
The behaviour and dialogue of the characters is, yet again, beautifully observed. David, for instance, gets a fantastic idea and then drops it, just as people do in real life.
The ending of the book upset me deeply because it was so true. I won't ruin it for anyone that hasn't read it yet, but it really made me look at my life and wonder, "What is the point of all this?"

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, A Hornby Book that doesn't revolve around men!, 10 Aug 2001
This review is from: How to be Good (Hardcover)
I admit, I am bias, I love Nick Hornby's work! But this was a bit of a surprise, I was expecting another novel where we wander around the inner workings of a males mind where they work out what they are doing wrong and resolve it in time for, at least, a partially happy ending. This book has no such easy answers and I am pleased that Nick Hornby has moved away from that.
This book is often bewildering, but nonetheless it is such an enjoyable read. It is funny, it makes you think, but most of all it reminds us of our real life foibles. If you were expecting another insight into the mind of music-loving, emotionally retarded men then you will be disapointed. I, however, am not and relish the change. This is a must have for all Hornby fans! Forget that, for any well read person ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be fantastic!, 18 Jun 2002
This review is from: How to be Good (Paperback)
This book was an absolute pleasure to read, it was funny, believable and gripping. The characters jumped out of the pages and i started to feel like i lived with dj goodnews and katie! I had never read any of Nick Hornby's works before, and have just seen the poor reviews that people have given this book. The only thing i can say is dont let their reviews put you off, it was brilliant laugh-out loud reading and totally absorbing. If this is Nick Hornby at his worst then i am definately going to read his others books. For sure the funniest book i have read in ages, i recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Book Turns Out Great, 27 Aug 2003
kate (I'mnot, onearth!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to be Good (Hardcover)
In 4 words i can tell you everything ou need to know before you buy the book: This book is great. And I'm probally not the average age to read this book - and only reading because I have to write an english essay on it. However, after reading less than a page a day for the first week of the summer, i got the the good part and couldn't put the book down. Okay, so it's not quite the same as 'I'm harry potter, everybody reads me coz i'm the best' not is it ' I'm a b-o-r-i-n-g book. You must read me' Nick Hornby has made this book ' A book to read '. I suggest, that you read it...

5.0 out of 5 stars an uplifting book, 26 April 2002
This review is from: How to be Good (Paperback)
I really enjoy Nick Hornby's novels and I liked this one best of all. I found the themes of the novel thought-provoking along with the serious issues he makes you think about. I liked the picture of their relationship which he built up and the children's input was very funny too. I'm sure we all sometimes feel worn out by modern life and too tired to make the effort and take a lot for granted. The way David changes and the way Katie deals with it are hilarious. I really couldnt put this book down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nick Hornby hits the spot again..., 29 Jun 2001
This review is from: How to be Good (Hardcover)
Critics say Nick Hornby writes to a formula and with 'How to be Good' he is very much keeping to the same style as his previous books.
I for one have absolutely no complaints! Hornby talks with my voice (or in this books case, my wife's) about the trials and tribulations of my generation. He writes with a humour, integrity and insight no other author has been able to match. For this, this '40 something' North Londoner thanks him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hornby grows up, 13 Sep 2001
This review is from: How to be Good (Hardcover)
... Hornby has matured as a writer. He gets inside the female doctor's mind, you wouldn't know it was written by a bloke. He perfectly reconstructs the endless internal dialogue you have when faced with a tricky situation. Should she stay or should she go? She may be a liberated professional woman - 2 children, good job, but she is human and that kind of decision is not easy to make whoever you are. Hornby has a deft touch. His portrayal of North London is apt and funny. In fact this book is really funny, and it's a page turner. Loads better than his others.

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 | Next ›

How to be Good
How to be Good by Nick Hornby (Paperback - 24 Jun 2010)