• Foe

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 2001
Coetzee once again manages to capture the readers' attention by cleverly twisting facts and experiences around. Rather than being a close-to-facts narrative novel, 'Foe' seems to enthrawl the reader until the very end, which is quite strange at first hand. Though 'Foe' is interesting, I still think that Coetzee's 'Disgrace' tops all his works!
on 3 December 2006
Man, this took me ages to read considering it's only 200 pages long. Like the rest of Coetzee's books, this is really about South Africa and yet it's not about south africa.

This is a book for 'intellectuals' or rather, my primative brain took a while to digest this. It has a tendancy to go off on tangents too much. I think Disgrace is a much better novel than Foe, but Foe is still one of those books that I recommend to people just because it is so unique. About the same time I read this I watched a DVD called Caché, again a 'difficult' film that took some decoding and input from the viewer. If you have seen Caché you'll know what I mean.
on 21 January 2013
I recommend this book to only those who have been told to read it for academic purposes. It is only really interesting in the first third, and the ending is more confusing than explanatory. I don't see why this book won a Nobe Prize for Literature.
on 13 April 2015
Disappointing, repetitious, starts off okay but drones on, but some may enjoy it. Positive, it is a good idea, I don't know what Mr Defoe would gave made of it though, only read two thirds of the book, then gave it to charity shop
on 7 October 2015
Great
on 21 September 2014
exaactly as described! wonderful! would greatly recommend!!
on 18 February 2011
Tedious and pretentious, with an incomprehensible ending. I believe this book raises issues of how fact and fiction are always liable to subjective interpretation by the narrator, but in this case neither the original nor the new 'Crusoe' could inspire me to want to reach the end of the book.
on 5 January 2005
First of all I have to say that English is not my mother tongue, but I think that my problems to understand this book have not been only a vocabulary issue, I have just finished this book, and I am still asking myself what was this book about, I can not see what is what Mr Coetzee was trying to tell me, and what is the conclusion of the story.
May be to deep for somebody as simple as me.