NW

4.0 out of 5 stars Inventive take on psychological realism
The book is divided into sections narrated by different characters. Our first storyteller is Leah, a young white woman from North West London with Irish parents, married to a black French-African immigrant, Michel. The initial encounter Leah has with a young woman begging for help at her door reveals her generous nature, while the fragmentary style of the writing seems...
Published 11 months ago by Zanna Star

3.0 out of 5 stars An Exercise in Style
NW is a brave departure for Zadie Smith and one that could potentially alienate a large proportion of her readership. It is an odd and fragmentary novel, humourless and bland. The melodious prose and multiple plots have given way to a modish Modernism; Dickens's influence has been erased, the 'hysterical realism' utterly subdued. But that is to be expected. Novelists do...
Published 23 months ago by s k

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
A real taste of the intermingling lives of the varying folk living in North West London. Really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
Having read a few of Zadie Smith's books.. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed all her books.. And especially NW.. At this current point in time.. This book has really hit home for me.. This is a very powerful and thought provoking novel.. Full of wonder and realness.. Thank you Zadie

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not Zadie quality, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: NW (Hardcover)
I have to admit I was a bit dissapointed. At times her old brillians shines but mostly I actually struggled to get through the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: NW (Paperback)
Completely unreadable. No plot, no characters, no English language as I was taught it. The worst sort of writing, signifying absolutely nothing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 12 July 2013
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
Awful book. I've only just read a quarter of this book and it was rude and disgusting. I stopped reading it and will not be ever reading anything by this author ever again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
I've thoroughly enjoyed Zadie Smith's previous books but couldn't get on with this one. I read about a third and gave up. What a shame. Let's hope she returns to previous form with her next novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
Bland, static, disjointed, fragmented, I can't be bothered to read the rest to he honest. Absolute waste of time. Errgh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Zadie Smith is a fine writer, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book for many reasons. Yes I am a Zadie Smith's fan. I read all her books. NW maybe does not have a real plot but it does not matter, her style is there to see, its beautiful sentences. This book is so real, the characters are so consumed with their lives, sorry but I could not stop reading. Zadie Smith is not for , I guess, lazy readers(no offense, please). The most enjoyable( and brilliant) part off the book were the little sketches where the narrative changes, taking another rhythm. Unless others writers who throw in the market (like a bottle in the ocean) the same boring book every year, Zadie Smith wrote only 4 exceptional books. I
can not wait for her to the take the Nobel Prize in Literature. She deserves it very much. Auri Roque

4.0 out of 5 stars NW, 30 Dec 2012
krakaja (Carmarthen, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NW (Hardcover)
This was a present for my daughter. As she asked for it, I can only assume it was what she was looking for. It was a shame it is not yet out in paperback.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and Boring, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: NW (Kindle Edition)
I love reading hence why I joined some friends in an established book club. This was the latest 'chosen' book and I hate to admit it but I can't finish it. Have been flicking the pages on and on (my kindle) to try and get to the end as quickly as possible. I have found it confusing and boring! Hate to let a book defeat me - but can't wait for the next 'chosen' book so I can enjoy reading again.

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 | Next ›

NW
NW by Zadie Smith (Paperback - 6 Sep 2012)
10.39