5.0 out of 5 stars The Infatuations - Javier Marias
New novels by J.M.Coetzee and Javier Marias in a single month? It must be the best March in history for the readers of the world.

The Infatuations is a novel about grief, love, death. It's more focussed, more concentrated, than much of Marias's work I've read up to now - this is both good and bad. The novel has drive and direct force and I finished it in a...
Published on 6 Mar. 2013 by RachelWalker

3.0 out of 5 stars Please read all the reviews....
Normally I begin writing a review knowing how many stars I'm going to give the book. With this book, Javier Marias' "The Infatuations", I'm beginning by writing the review and then determining the number of stars. This is a book that has already received reviews on both Amazon/US and Amazon/UK ranging from one to five stars, and in general, all the reviewers have...
Published 22 months ago by Jill Meyer

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit long, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Infatuations (Kindle Edition)
and a bit long winded but if you stick with it it is worth it in the end. A romantic novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Really grew on me., 4 July 2013
This review is from: The Infatuations (Kindle Edition)
I found the first half rather tedious - the rumblings of the deceased's friends were particularly tedious - either he really was or something was getting lost in translation. I suspect it was the former. Once the plot begins to reveal then we are off to the races and the book takes off to become an interesting and well written read. Fond the reflections on death and relationships very revealing and deep.

I apologies to many for this high level review but I am writing it several months after finishing the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Infatuations - an uncomfortable riveting read, 20 April 2013
This review is from: The Infatuations (Kindle Edition)
I like to read books outside my comfort zone and this one gradually draws the reader in; first describing in detail the thoughts of a woman regarding a devoted married couple she sees every day in a breakfast bar and then turning into a story of infatuation and murder, but murder story like no other I have read. It is unsettling to be reading the stream-of-consciousness thoughts and philosophy, with many references to Balzac's 'Colonel Chabert', and then being jarred into actual events such as murder and talk of assisted suicide clinics. Not one for whodunit fans but riveting nonetheless.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Infatuations, 23 Mar. 2013
3.5 stars from me.

This novel is written is this very recognisable unique style of Javier Marias which you either like or cannot stand for its long deviations from the plot and internal monologues. I liked it very much in his prior work and still enjoyed in this novel. The plot is almost archetypical which i thought it was interesting as well. But i do not think he developed in this novel any new ideas or themes which he had not touched in his prior work. Also i think his interpretation of the evil and the good in the human nature in the context of this novel was either too narrow or at least quite depressing.

IMHO it is much weaker than the prior trilogy by the author "Your Face Tomorrow", but it is difficult to overshadow that work.

I have to specially mention absolutely terrific English translation by M. de la Costa. I cannot judge about the original but the richness of the English language in the novel is overwhelming.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Infatuations by Javier Marias, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Infatuations (Kindle Edition)
This book is not just another novel it's outstanding. Javier Marias shows a lot of skill and intellect. The plot is well thought and although there's not much happening, much has been said. Not a book for everybody but I certainly enjoyed reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars CRITICALLY OVERRATED? OR HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING?, 24 Mar. 2013
J. H. Howard "gentle reader" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Infatuations (Kindle Edition)
Purchased on the strength of favorable reviews by reviewers I respect, I was disappointed by this wordy philosophical novel based on a murder and a very middle-class love triangle. The narrator, an editor at a publishing house where her work is with aspiring nevelists, should have known how to tell this story. But, no, Maria reflects at greater and greater length on every gesture, look, and word until the reader is exhausted.Okay, so she's an unreliable narrator in a novel that would not be out of place in the early 19th century. The pace is languid, the narrative voice so tedious that it's hard to care about any of the characters. Yes, this novel is certainly not a hot-blooded Spanish novel Readers beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good quality standard, 3 April 2015
This review is from: The Infatuations (Paperback)
Javier Marias is a marvellous Spanish writer. Extremely good quality standard. He has been associated in the same league as Seabold.

1.0 out of 5 stars Full stops badly needed, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Infatuations (Kindle Edition)
When I started this book I found that I kept having to reread what I’d just read. I then noticed that a sentence went on for sixteen lines. Then soon after one sentence went on for two and a half pages!!! And that style continued throughout the book and made it impossible to keep track of what was written. This made it very difficult to know whether I was reading an actual conversation, or Maria’s thoughts about a conversation she has had, or her thoughts about a conversation she might have, or her thoughts about what someone else might have done, or her thoughts about what others might be thinking, or her thoughts about Balzac or Shakepeare etc. etc. If the previous sentence was in the book it would have meandered on for ages, contained about 22 commas and 5 semi-colons and by the time you got to the end of it you’d have forgotten what it was trying to say.

I was really looking forward to reading this book as it sounded intriguing, but the style made it unreadable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your life reading this!, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Infatuations (Kindle Edition)
Whilst I except that this book is well written in and explores so interesting concepts, it is interminable! The concepts are debated in such a lengthy circuitous way that I lost interest. All of the few characters are so self absorbed and cold, I had little interest in any of them. The prose is full of subclauses, one sentence starting on the bottom of the previous page and not ending until the foot of the next.
I read this for book club and frankly don't even want to waste time discussing it tonight! Sorry

2.0 out of 5 stars A struggle!, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Infatuations (Hardcover)
I downloaded this book off the back of the guardians summer reading list recommendation. What a mistake! I normally love this kind of story in terms of the theme but this took me so long to get in to and even once I finally did it was not enjoyable. The book was focused too much on the musings "I imagine they would think this" "I think they would act like this" rather than letting us know exactly how the other characters were feeling/acting. The sentences too long and the whole thing just quite uninteresting.

The Infatuations
The Infatuations by Javier Marías (Hardcover - 7 Mar. 2013)