5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and engaging
I saw this recommended in the Observer Review and am glad I bought it for my Kindle. It evokes a clear picture of life in Brighton (it helps if you know the town) in WW2. Elements of it reminded me of Michael Frayn's "The Spies". The dynamics within the central family and their friends and lovers ring true and there are many unexpected twists.

Highly...
Published 8 months ago by Janet Conroy

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Missing
The opening chapter started so well, with Evelyn struggling to make do without her daily help, and trying to coming to terms with a possible invasion after the failure of the Dunkirk landings. This swiftly changed as historical errors blundered their way into the text of my pre-release copy, with mentions of paracetamol and antibiotics for Geoffrey's toothache. I hope...
Published 14 months ago by Basement Cat

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 22 Sep 2014
good book

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Unexploded (Kindle Edition)
This book kept me up late once I got to the final few chapters. I'd love to know what happened next to Evelyn.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was Okay, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Unexploded (Kindle Edition)
I was slightly disappointed. I thought the story could have been much better, but I persevered to the end just because I had purchased it in the first place. Would I recommend it..? No

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexploded, 11 Oct 2013
A. Williams "Haruki Murakami NUT" (Merthyr Tydfil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unexploded (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my wife and she's half way through it . She says it's excellent, but keeps asking me various things, like "who was Lord Haw Haw ?" and "did Hitler really live in Brighton ?" Her knowledge of WW2 as you can see isn't very good , but by reading this book, she's learning. I'm sure I'll enjoy this book too

3.0 out of 5 stars Brighton at it's worst, 10 Oct 2013
D. Hatton (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unexploded (Hardcover)
A readable story but gloomy with depressing characters. For me, who lived through it, not very evocative of wartime. Not memorable enough to want to re-read in the future

4.0 out of 5 stars Unuxploded - a very good read, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Unexploded (Kindle Edition)
Alison MacLeod deserves the accolades heaped on her for this most unususal novel.

It is a page-turner, but at the same time quite a disturbing read. The characters are well drawn and emerge in their true horror very slowly.

It is set in Brighton and the town is really the 'star' of the whole story. Clever and well balanced novel set in a post 2nd war town.
not what you expect and all the better for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting work for the time protrayed, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Unexploded (Kindle Edition)
This book is very descriptively written with a simple storyline which could have been many families during the war years. It draws interesting comparisons across different classes and nationalities. However as the story unfolds I found it unsettling and it left me rather depressed at the end. Would I read it again - probably not.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly superb and captivating book, 3 Feb 2014
Jacqueline O'Toole-Quinn (Hove, E.Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unexploded (Hardcover)
As a historian and teacher of this particular time period I was looking forward to seeing the portrayal of Brighton during the 2nd World War - I was not disappointed and found that Alison Macleod had a superb eye for detail and that invaluable talent of making you "feel as if you were there". There was also much that I didn't know such as the Black Shirts having quite a significant South Coast following at the time. I live in Brighton and was impressed to see that the writer had researched the period and the place thoroughly and it was fascinating to look at Brighton as it was a that time (inevitably there have been changes since then). The book is an insightful tale of the fears of war and invasion, love and betrayal and the way in which the war was seen or imagined by young children. As the story moves along it becomes a real page turner and there is considerable suspense in the latter part of the book. I have looked at some of the other reviews and I'm not sure if they were reading the same book as me, as the characters are superbly well drawn and you find yourself having considerable sympathy for their situation and the dilemmas they face. Above all, this is a beautifully written book - the prose is spare but stunning. There are so many books these days where I feel that they should have been edited quite heavily but this is most definitely not one of them. The author also managed a thoughtful end to the book which seems beyond the ken of many writers these days. I have no hesitation in recommending this book - it's a great read and it stays with you. I look forward to seeing some more work by Alison Macleod.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best new novel I've read in ten years, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Unexploded (Hardcover)
Unexploded examines the Holocaust at one of its fringes - suspicion against Jewish refugees in an anti-Semitic culture. At the center of the novel, however, is the story of a marriage, set on its end by war and the expectation of a German invasion of the beaches at Brighton, England. The novel is an overt tribute to the writing of Virginia Woolf. However, Alison MacLeod has her own distinctive voice, and I look forward to future novels from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, insightful and enlightening, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Unexploded (Kindle Edition)
Set in Second World War Brighton this beautifully written novel tackles the many double standards (especially anti-semitism) of life on the home front as invasion is awaited. A great read.

Unexploded
Unexploded by Alison MacLeod (Hardcover - 26 July 2013)