5.0 out of 5 stars systems not goals
Cracking read. In face I would go as far as saying the best book I have read on making the most of this short time on this small planet of ours.
Published 18 months ago by DarrenCornish

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly useful information presented in a sensible way.
Published 5 months ago by Robert

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars systems not goals, 9 Nov. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, thought provoking and helpful, 19 Jan. 2014
R. Back (Bath, BANES United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is something that shouldn't work: part autobiography, part self help, and part Inception style thought-planter. Yet work it does, and it is all due to Scott Adams' skill: at writing, understanding of human psychology, and in other areas. In fact, this book works because of all the 'fails' that he describes here, and how they've made him the man he is.

If you read this book and don't find at least 5 good ideas you haven't yet thought of which strike a meaningful chord with you, I'll be very surprised. It'll give you a better understanding of how to make the most of your life, and will give you optimism that you too can make changes in your life that will lead to increased happiness.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly useful information presented in a sensible way., 19 Dec. 2014
Robert (Uxbridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have always liked Scott Adams, and I recall his very amusing and perceptive nine-to-five workday mini-biographies like The Dilbert Principle. In how to fail at almost anything Scott again shines a light on his career but this time thrugh the list of failures he went through before he succeeded in becoming one of the worlds best known cartoonists. There is some really good and sensible advice in this book. Scott makes it plain at the start he is no guru and his anecdotal advice is there to be used or binned at the reader's discretion.

Compered to a lot of the expensive and flamboyant proponents of the self-help industry Scott is subdued and practical. I did find it seemed to drone on a bit after a while and wondered if he could have made it punchier. But all in all it was a worthwhile read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read but there are no guarantees here..., 1 Feb. 2015
griff1974 (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book probably doesn't need any further selling to those already familiar with Scott's work and way of thinking. To those not in that category already I'd say that this book is an easy and entertaining read that delivers some thought provoking insights and observations. The main premise is that systems are for winners and goals are for losers, and presents an engaging and everyday approach to telling the reader what worked for him. It's not a self-help book and makes no promises, rather it's your mate telling you what worked for them. This is one for those who want to think about their own issues using reliable and reasoned sources. It's a very different book, but one I enjoyed in the same way as Gerd Gigerenzer's Risk Savvy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have read some which spend a third of the book telling you how great the advice is, 10 Feb. 2015
G. Jackson (Stockport, UK) - See all my reviews
Very clear, concise advice written in Adams' own style. Some interesting insights which will resonate with many people and perhaps point a way forward to success without being too prescriptive. The thing that struck me was the lack of 'filler' which is found in many advice books. I have read some which spend a third of the book telling you how great the advice is, a third telling you what it is and then the rest is wind-down. This isn't like that and since reading it I've become head of Microsoft in a week. Next week I have an appointment with the prime minister to advise on monetary policy and the week after, I take over the U.N. It's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Adams imparts his words of wisdom with a good dose of comedy, 16 Mar. 2015
Though admittedly most of this book is page filling common sense anecdotes, it does have some very interesting and perhaps enlightening points to make for those seeking "success", a conveniently vague term so that anyone can theoretically apply its tenets. Adams writes with a good dash of honesty and an even greater amount of cynicism so that you never feel like you've been conned into buying another fluff-filled self-help book. There are some nuggets of wisdom to be gleaned from this book, you just have to find them among a good helping of humour.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a life guide, 30 Jan. 2015
OK, but not as interesting as his cartoons... Basically the autobiography of someone that kept trying business ideas until he was successful- and then carried on trying! Probably lost much of what he has earned. My guess is that he is bored with what he does, and looks for excitement/uncertainty to put interest into his life. Only real lesson is not to emulate- if you succeed at something, stick to that. As Scott says, it is all about luck. But then I hear lottery winners still buy tickets...

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, funny, thought provoking, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life (Paperback)
I don't usually go for autobiography, but this is something a bit different. Anyone who knows dilbert will recognise the style. Young people may learn a lot. Older folks will either realise where they went wrong in life or be reassured somewhat that they are not alone. You still have time to change.
Funny many times, almost tense at others, definitely a page turner. Bonus is a few dilbert strips you may have missed.
In summary - get a system! (See - I did read it)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Brilliant, 3 Sept. 2014
This book made me laugh out loud, and I loved almost all of it. The diet and fitness bits were totally lost on me, mainly because I'm a health and fitness geek already. I can understand how it ties into energy and ultimately, success, but it felt like I was reading another nutrition and fitness book. Unexpected and a little off-kilter. I skipped those remaining chapters but overall found the book to be ace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your normal Self Help Book, 11 July 2014
Although to be fair I wouldn't have bought it if it was. I am a Scott Adams fan and like all the stuff he does. In the book he defines his system for success and how it happened for him in spite of (although he argues pretty successfully because of) those failures. He has come up with a system that may help you succeed and some of it is pretty straightforward like eating right and exercising.

Well worth a few hours of your time, Adams writes humorously as you would expect and I really enjoyed the time spent on the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›