5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous
Published 21 months ago by Charlotte Woodley

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good fun.
Not the best written book but heck, it was fun, readable and interesting and a pleasant way to spend an evening!
Published 17 months ago by Jenny Muir

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous, 12 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bonkers: My Life in Laughs (Hardcover)
as a big fan of Jennifer Saunders I was very excited to read this book, I can honestly say i was not disappointed. The unique 'go of on a ramble in the middle of a chapter' structure ensured that you were never bored by long stories of great grandparents and first boyfriends. The book was just as funny as Jen herself and I read the book in her voice. It was personal but no too personal that it began to feel uncomfortable. The details on how she got into comedy, how she and Adrian Edmondson got together, the beginning of Ab Fab and her fantastic friendships with Dawn French and Joanna Lumley were an insightful view into her fantastic life. Then obviously there was the cancer. She tackled this subject well. She wrote it in an emotional light but not in a way that would drag down the mood of the whole book. She made people aware of what she had been through but you could tell she was not searching for any sympathy, which in a way made it all the most touching. I would recommend this book 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, and a little bit bonkers., 25 Feb. 2014
E. Goodman (Leicester, the very centre of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonkers: My Life in Laughs (Hardcover)
Very rare that I read a book. Even rarer that I read a book within a week. Bonkers was read in about four days.

It's rather marvellous. I had read some not particularly complimentary reviews on ITunes - just niggly things like people saying that Dear Fatty(Dawn French's book) was better and to read that instead, or that the book sounded like Jennifer showing off about her famous friends.

Two points there to pick up on.

1) French and Saunders are in fact two individuals, not one person. So to recommend people read someone else's autobiography instead is silly. This isn't meant to be Dear Fatty, this is meant to be Bonkers, the fact that these two people have closely linked lives is by the by. I wanted to read about Jennifer Saunders life, so I read this book. As those Americans would add - period.

2) People like to read about famous people's lives because they include other famous people. If Ms Saunders spent this book telling us about Barbara from behind the counter in Spar, and John from the pub's brother we would be bored. So she throws in a few Goldie Hawns and Ruper Everetts. If ever I write my autobiography, it will include the time Stevie Nicks waved at me. Yes I will.

Bonkers is funny, warm and very human, even with a fancy cocktail in its hand on some millionaire's yacht. And next time I watch French & Saunders Series 1-6 Box Set (6 discs) [DVD], Absolutely Fabulous - Absolutely Everything Box Set [DVD] [1992]or Jam and Jerusalem - Series 1-3 [DVD], I'll feel as though I know a little bit more about the blood, sweat and tears that went into those great shows.

Thumbs up gel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely enjoyable !, 25 Nov. 2013
I loved Bonkers ! How refreshingly different to have an autobiography that tells of a happy childhood and not one of misery. I bought Bonkers on cd and listened to it in the car making a normally long boring journey a pleasure. From childhood to student life to meeting Dawn French and their early life in comedy through to the success of French and Saunders, Ab Fab etc., etc. Absolutely recommend Bonkers and, having also listened to Dear Fatty, how interesting that Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders have incredibly similar voices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and interesting, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bonkers: My Life in Laughs (Hardcover)
This is a really entertaining read and is full of interesting facts and stories for people who grew up with F&S then AbFab. It also confirmed the impression I had of Jennifer Saunders that she's a lovely person who simply likes making people laugh. She also comes across as very down-to-earth and humble about her talents. A must for any fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Other Half...!, 3 Sept. 2014
Just like Jennifer herself, this book is likeable, funny, warm & honest. She modestly admits that she's not much of a bookworm herself... but this story of her life takes the reader on a whimsical & fun-filled journey where she speaks to you just like a friend who's come round for tea.

Jen admits she's had a good life thus-far (& there are certainly no skeletons in her closet waiting to jump out!), as she takes us through her happy childhood memories, her college years, & the fascinating story of how she & comedy partner Dawn French met & forged their relationship.

French & Saunders (or The Menopause Sisters, as they were originally known!) emerged on the scene at a key time, becoming Britain's first-ever high-profile female comedy double-act. As you would imagine, the journey was predictably bumpy to start with - but they turned out to be real role-models for others to follow, & true comedy pioneers.
We chart Jen's career here from fledging stand-up, Comic-stripper, sit-com star, film actress & Ab-Fabber... not to mention of course her surprising horse-riding skills!

She gives one of the most cheery accounts of her time as a cancer patient here I've ever read, always remaining positive & realistic, emerging victorious on the other side in a typically modest account of one of her biggest life challenges.

This is great book for anyone who's a fan of Saunders (& French), & it's lovely to read about her family life, her passions, & her refreshing disdain of the tiresome cult of 'celebrity'.
All in all, an excellent autobiography for anyone who's interested in the life of Jen, & one that leaves the reader ultimately feeling they've really got to know her & what makes her such a likeable figure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just abfab, 27 Jan. 2014
So funny when reading on a flight to Singapore couldn't help laughing out loud...... other the passengers where not amused....lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bonkers: My Life in Laughs (Hardcover)
Loved the book thought it was personal but without exposing any intimacy so we now know how ms Saunders mind works but not which side of the bed she sleeps on.
As a huge fan I giggled through the book in a day.
It is to be hoped perhaps a novel will follow however anyone who reads this and has read bonkers will know it may be a long wait. Hah!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good fun., 23 Feb. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 16 Jan. 2014
Very funny but really empathised with her cancer battle and the mood swings! Made me feel normal as going through it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindy, 9 Jan. 2014
Just finished this book- a requested Christmas present. I don't normally "do" autobiographies but this was terrific. I'm a big fan of Jennifer Saunders - being a child of the 80`s and this book is great. It's very funny and tell her story with humour that often had people asking what was so funny. If you like her comedy- you'll love this book. Definitely worth reading.

Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
Bonkers: My Life in Laughs by Jennifer Saunders (Hardcover - 10 Oct. 2013)