Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 February 2013
I have a confession to make. I have a blog. A "food" blog. One that I haven't updated since September, when suddenly every single picture that I took was green. Not just a little bit green. So green it was almost uncorrectable, even in Photoshop (the full version.) After spending a number of days planning posts, cooking and photographing only to have the photographs turn out to be unusable I became horribly discouraged.

Now, I'm sure that part of my problem is my camera - a very inexpensive little battery-operated point & shoot that goes through a set of batteries every single time I hitch it to the computer to download photos.

Having read every word of Focus On Food Photography for Bloggers (Focus On Series): Focus on the Fundamentals twice - straight through the minute I took it out of the box and more thoughtfully a day or two later - I've also learned that perhaps the main source of my suddenly green pictures is the time of year and the available light in the kitchen. (Fluorescent). While I cannot magic a dSLR camera with detachable lenses out of thin air and at least for the present must make do with that cheap little point & shoot, Matt Armendariz makes it very clear that my lighting problems are relatively easy & inexpensive to overcome.

Matt does a thorough job of discussing things like white balance, lighting, color correction, workflow, picture composition and even some food styling basics in terms that are easy for a beginning food photographer to understand.

Even better, he often utilizes a series of pictures, each with a diagram of the shoot setup, to illustrate how lighting and camera placement can change a photo, a feature that I'm finding particularly helpful.

If I have one complaint (and you know I do) it is that Matt passes off the question of "What kind of camera should I use" with "The one that works for you" - an answer that really isn't an answer at all. I would really have liked to have seen much more in the way of comparison between various camera options rather than just bare-bones descriptions.

All in all, I found Focus On Food Photography for Bloggers (Focus On Series): Focus on the Fundamentals to be a handy, easy to carry around manual that I'll be depending on for some time to come. One of these days you might even see some food photographs appear on my blog again.

Recommended
on 23 March 2015
Not very informative, basically this book shows you Matt's work but don't go into detail about how to achieve the looks. He gives you snippets of information, but nothing to 'get your teeth into'. Okay if you just want photos but if you want in-depth, I would look elsewhere.
on 18 January 2013
I love the examples of good and bad shots and the tips of how to get the most out of the tools around you.