5.0 out of 5 stars The book's title says it all...
Published on 5 Nov 2011 by Mr. C. S. Vaughton

3.0 out of 5 stars More a text book than a manual...
Published 20 months ago by Michael S. Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars The book's title says it all..., 5 Nov 2011
Mr. C. S. Vaughton (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Way Beyond Monochrome 2e: Advanced Techniques for Traditional Black & White Photography including digital negatives and hybrid printing (Hardcover)
I recently completed (at age 47) what is now my one and only A level, in photography. I'm glad I discovered this book after I finished the course rather than before! Otherwise I would have spent so much time trying techniques from the book, I wouldn't have got the volume of work produced that I needed to get through. It's crammed full of everything you need to improve you skills in the darkroom and with monochrome photography in general, as well as an excellent section on mounting prints which is adaptable to any sort of photographic print. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely a must have, 27 Oct 2011
It'a an huge and really complete guide to dark room techniques.
Probably the best book I've ever read on that argument. It's a sort of Ansel Adams "The print" powered and updated to our days.
As I wrote in the title, it's a "must have" on your bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Return to Monochrome Film., 22 Dec 2010
I recently return to using monochrome film for my my fine art photographic work. I needed to brush up on my technical skills so went in search for an advanced book on black and White techniques. I came upon this book by accident while searching for another title and did not hesitate and bought the same day. I recommend this book to Amateur, professional photographers and darkroom techs. Very impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on Monochrome Silver Traditional Photography, 18 Oct 2010
I have started doing Photography the old way, using film cameras in Medium and Large Format, some two years ago. I have built my own home darkroom.
I have been experimenting and learning, reading all the books I can on the subject, old and new. And photographing a lot.
So I thought I knew something already.
But, upon start reading this book I realized I knew nothing at all. Because this is a full theoretical book but at the same time a very practical one. You learn by analyzing subjects in depth with technical graphs, and then apply it with easy to use techniques I have seen nowhere else. Awesome!
Then I love that DIY stuff. Your lab workflow will never be the same again, for sure. A joy to build and use.
And if you want to know something about moving your silver work to digital, there is something about it too.
I recommend this book to all of you out there willing to learn how to make true photography, from start to end!

3.0 out of 5 stars More a text book than a manual..., 20 Oct 2012
Michael S. Allen (France) - See all my reviews
This is a big, heavy book and much the same can be said of the contents. If you are looking for a detailed text on the history, maths and development of B&W film and printing and you like lots of graphs, this is for you. If however, like me, you want a more practical or step by step 'how-to' manual of darkroom techniques, I think there are other, probably better choices. This is not to say that techniques are not covered, but there is an awful lot of ancilliary information as well. I have rated this book in relation to my needs. As a reference on the subject of B&W P&P it probably rates as a 5*

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying it, 20 Mar 2011
If I had to give away all my technical photography books except one, I would definetely keep this one.
The second edition is a big improvement over the first and is worth buying it even if you already own the prior edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 6 Jun 2014
A wonderful book for anyone interested in the craft of photographic printing. Highly recommended reading for any aspiring photographer who wants to know how to set up a darkroom and print photographs to the highest quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars a short review for an outstanding piece of work, 24 Feb 2014
If you aim to take your work to another level of understanding and produce work that encompasses the very best of monochrome then I cannot recommend this highly enough.To the point of a zen like intimacy and involvement in your finished work.

The 3 star review I read with dismay - the person rated their capability not the content a quality of this work.