on 5 November 2011
I recently completed (at age 47) what is now my one and only A level, in photography. I'm glad I discovered this book after I finished the course rather than before! Otherwise I would have spent so much time trying techniques from the book, I wouldn't have got the volume of work produced that I needed to get through. It's crammed full of everything you need to improve you skills in the darkroom and with monochrome photography in general, as well as an excellent section on mounting prints which is adaptable to any sort of photographic print. Highly recommended.
on 27 October 2011
It'a an huge and really complete guide to dark room techniques.
Probably the best book I've ever read on that argument. It's a sort of Ansel Adams "The print" powered and updated to our days.
As I wrote in the title, it's a "must have" on your bookshelf!
on 27 February 2015
The shockingly subpar print quality knocked me off my chair. I was infuriated by what I have received and wrote to authors in an "adequate" language. However, having received response from authors, I am no longer convinced I have received a legal copy. Book I have is printed on near newspaper quality paper, somewhat heavier, but cheap and mat, which makes photographs looking grey, dull and nothing I had expected nor anything close to original 1st edition I also own.

At this point what I can say is that the book should weigh in at 2.31 kg and what I have weighs 1.75 kg (also hard copy). Time will tell what comes of it. I cannot return due my whereabouts, but will continue following on this as it is getting interesting. However, this book has always been the best on the subject and arguably most thorough. What I have kills its content due to low quality photos, without which the book is almost useless and certainly not worth the price I paid.

I left 5 stars on it, because I am convinced the book is at the top of the list on the subject and can't wait to see what had happened to its printing.
------------------------
UPDATE: Today (10/03/2015) I was informed by Focal that a new PROPER copy will be delivered directly to my home address. This would have never happened, had it not been for one of the authors standing behind this quality publication and following up on an otherwise absurd issue. Credit to Focal for acknowledging the problem and acting in good faith to fix it, as one would expect. The printing issue seems to have been an isolated incident and while I cannot confirm it, I would think the POD version I had unfortunately received, will no longer be available.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2010
I recently return to using monochrome film for my my fine art photographic work. I needed to brush up on my technical skills so went in search for an advanced book on black and White techniques. I came upon this book by accident while searching for another title and did not hesitate and bought the same day. I recommend this book to Amateur, professional photographers and darkroom techs. Very impressive.
on 18 October 2010
I have started doing Photography the old way, using film cameras in Medium and Large Format, some two years ago. I have built my own home darkroom.
I have been experimenting and learning, reading all the books I can on the subject, old and new. And photographing a lot.
So I thought I knew something already.
But, upon start reading this book I realized I knew nothing at all. Because this is a full theoretical book but at the same time a very practical one. You learn by analyzing subjects in depth with technical graphs, and then apply it with easy to use techniques I have seen nowhere else. Awesome!
Then I love that DIY stuff. Your lab workflow will never be the same again, for sure. A joy to build and use.
And if you want to know something about moving your silver work to digital, there is something about it too.
I recommend this book to all of you out there willing to learn how to make true photography, from start to end!
on 11 February 2016
A very comprehensive tome covering all aspects of photography. Somewhat wordily written but with a great deal of thought and deep knowledge of the subject. The chapter on digital negatives, for which I bought the, book is helpful but I am still struggling to make a transfer function even though the instructions are displayed clearly in the text. The authors mention that 'step wedge' files are available from their websites but I can find no trace of these on the net. I shall dip into this book from time to time.
on 8 April 2016
Very comprehensive and up to date book covering all aspects of traditional monochrome imaging, and useful information concerning hybrid digital - traditional methods. The authors have substantially updated, improved and increased the number of chapters, since the First Edition was published.
The book is most suitable for persons who already have a good working practical knowledge of film and print making, or students of photography who need an authoritative text that can be relied on for integrity.
on 24 February 2014
If you aim to take your work to another level of understanding and produce work that encompasses the very best of monochrome then I cannot recommend this highly enough.To the point of a zen like intimacy and involvement in your finished work.

The 3 star review I read with dismay - the person rated their capability not the content a quality of this work.
If I had to give away all my technical photography books except one, I would definetely keep this one.
The second edition is a big improvement over the first and is worth buying it even if you already own the prior edition.
on 6 June 2014
A wonderful book for anyone interested in the craft of photographic printing. Highly recommended reading for any aspiring photographer who wants to know how to set up a darkroom and print photographs to the highest quality.