on 18 July 2010
I have just finished reading this book. I very rarely write reviews, but I would have considered it a major lack of gratitude towards Mr. Griffith not to write one about this excellent piece of work.

The Product Description listed above is perfectly honest in summarizing what you will find in Real-World Flash Game Development: Real-world guidance and advice for creating games in Flash.

I have been working as a developer for 10 years, making little games and demos as a hobby on the side and trying to teach myself the relevant technologies. Self teaching is a tricky undertaking many times. With lack of guidance it is very easy to lose sight of your learning goals (if you were lucky enough to understand what those goals were in the first place). That leads to many half-read books and many failed attempts to understand the technology you are aiming for, even if you make an honest effort and you persevere.

For learning how to develop games in Flash, as far as I am concerned, this book is perfect in that respect.

When I started reading it I had just managed to finish and publish a very simple Flash game that was just a proof of concept. The book took me through a well rounded course of understanding the subject of Flash games from all aspects: Programming ActionScript, managing your projects, organising your assets, animation, audio, video, xml, mathematics, best practices, things to avoid, complete walk-throughs of building a couple of games, quality assurance AND security, nothing is omitted! Even if I had managed to extend my knowledge in some way other than reading this book, I am sure that there are many things mentioned in it, that I would most probably not have found out about.

One other thing which I believe is truly exceptional, is the well balanced level of detail. The source code and explanations are just right to help the reader grasp each concept and a great starting point for further learning: Not too little, which would have hindered comprehension and not too much, which would have made the text tedious and the book too long to read in its entirety. This is what makes this wide range of concepts fit in such a reasonable number of pages, which, I am sure, I will consult again and again as I continue to develop in Flash.

Combined with the very clear and pleasant writing style, with just the right amount of humor, and the excellent quality of the publication as far as layout and colours are concerned, this book offers a wonderful learning experience to the reader and a true feeling of empowerment to develop games!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 March 2010
This is a great book so far. Excellent primer for AS2 converts and AS3 object-a-phobes alike at the beggining. Great writing style and full of useful information. I alway s feel with book like this that although the code can get preety advanced the actual games are alway relatively simple. I understand that this is almost a necessity in introducing game 'basics' but where are the books on intermediate/advanced topics? Im pretty ok with simple tile engin etc already... Still great at what it does cover and I would recommend to anyone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 October 2010
Strange mixture - some fairly advanced stuff... But a lot of simplistic guff. If you have developed a few dozen games, this book is almost certainly of no use to you. If you are starting out, it is of great use and has many valid points.
I have developed a few games and was disappointed. I expected to learn. I didn't. Oh well.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...