5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLICITY, 1 July 2009
John Haskins "Photoshop nut" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Art and Design in Photoshop: How to simulate just about anything from great works of art to urban graffiti (Paperback)
I wanted a book that would give me ideas for my work in photoshop and found just the right purchase with "Art and Design in Photoshop". Very clear tutorials throughout the book and I also liked the informative chapter on Type with the do's and don'ts for budding design students. Excellent.
John H (Australia)

5.0 out of 5 stars Art and Photoshop., 20 May 2011
Great book, although it assumes some prior knowledge, it easy to understand even for a novice at Photoshop like me. I used to be a complete Dummy at Photoshop, but after several hours with this book while at my computer, I have gone a little way into areas of Photoshop that I once thought were beyond me. The exercise sections are really good, and give you a nice warm feeling inside when you have successfully completed them. I have achieved a lot with the help of this book, and am now producing, what I think is above average Photoshop work.

I have a fairly dated Photoshop 7, and now wish I could afford a later version, but sadly my pension will not run to the vast sum of money that Adobe are asking for CS5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art and Design in Photoshop, 3 Dec 2008
W. Brayshaw (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
Buy this book as a companion to How to Cheat in Photoshop by the same author, or as a stand-alone reference for help in creating your own designs. In a clear, concise style, Steve Caplin de-mystifies the design processes of a huge range of genres.

This book covers everything, from film posters and album art, through book and magazine covers to simulating the style of great artists both classical and contemporary. Using plenty of pictures, each tutorial is simple and easy to follow, laid out attractively in a double-page spread.

There's a CD that accompanies the book. On it are all the Photoshop files needed to recreate the various projects in the book, as well as a good selection of fonts for you to use in your own work.

The book does assume a basic working knowledge of Photoshop but there is a reference section that goes through the basics of the main tools and techniques.

If you're serious about getting more out of Photoshop buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art and design., 23 Feb 2010
Mrs. K. Medhurst (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I have bought many books to try and help me with how to do the wonderfull things that photophop now lets us all do from the comfort of our own homes,and this is 'THE BEST' book that I have invested in to date,it is a very simple book to follow, showing you how most things can be done.
I would recomend this book to anybody,I am only a novice at this type of thing and the book has had more use than any other I have bought.great value for your' money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Becky Fryer, 14 Nov 2008
Ms. R. Fryer (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Steve Caplin's Art & Design in Photoshop is a must have for those who are familiar with Photoshop and are seeking to improve their Photoshop experience. Steve illustrates some stunning effects that are easy to recreate and will put a professional edge to your designs.

The book takes you through how to select and use fonts to their best affect, with Steve's insight into Typography it will help clarify and make sense when designing with words. Principles of Design shows you what to avoid when designing and what is and isn't good composition, all beautifully illustrated.

Just about all you need when designing posters, illustrations etc. are covered from how to achieve the styles of the great artists like Paul Cezanné and Pablo Picasso or more contemporary artists like Salvador Dali and Andy Warhol just to name a few artistic styles covered in Art & Design in Photoshop.

I'm a big fan of Steve Caplin his explanations and illustrations are clear and easy to understand and rather than this book being a "Design cookbook" it actually inspires you to try your own hand at designing and to bring your own style out to it's most spectacular affect.

Buy this book for Christmas and you will not be disappointed in the least. It's great value for money and inspiration oozes from the pages like Dali's soft watches ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Art & Design in Photoshop, Caplin, 4 Sep 2011
A great volume, very concise and very educational, easily understood and easy to use with no tutorial spanning more than two pages.(Keep it open beside you at your computer). I have just achieved BA(Hons) in Creative Imaging as a (very) mature student, and I'm sorry I didn't discover this volume 12 months sooner, I'm sure I could have improved my marks by a large margin if I'd only read this book! I'm now recommending it to all my contacts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The extended use of Photoshop, 1 Mar 2010
I rate this book as excellent. Photoshop is a lot more than just touching up photos. Stave Caplin shows the way forward and opens up a world beyond. Mr Caplin certainly knows his stuff and is able to present his message clearly so that it can be absorbed. It's not an expensive book but is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good resource, 18 May 2013
Elizabeth Leyden "Virtual Liz" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
What swayed me to buy this book, which was a 'want' rather than 'need' was the excellent coverage in Look Inside.
If you like what you see there, you'll enjoy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book., 18 Feb 2012
SEGALL Michael (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
I bought this book together with "100% Photoshop" by the same author, which I reviewed elsewhere (not too positively in what concerns me at least), but "Art and Design in Photoshop" is an altogether different kettle of fish. It allows the user to construct or deeply modify practically any object which would be difficult to find and photograph in the real world, like the Salvador Dali style "soft watch" on the cover. A great guide to letting one's imagination roam on a computer screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A designers Must-Have., 2 Feb 2010
R. A. Owens "ArtyFarty" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
Art & Design in Photoshop by Steve Caplin. My book shelves are filled with all manner of art and design tomes, most of which have rarely been opened more than once. 'Art & Design in Photoshop' and 'How to cheat in Photoshop' both by Mr S Caplin are the newest in my collection, the most read in my collection and without any doubt the most informative in this vast library. I bought 'How to cheat in photoshop' from a real book store (How silly) and paid full whack, I saw Art & Design on Amazon and did the right thing and bought this great book here (Sensible). If I was reading this I would buy both books right here right now. Believe me the savings are wonderful, and they arrived very quickly (Two days) I rate these books 5 Stars.