Note the title is about directing the story, not directing the movie, and the emphasis is on the story.

The goal of this book is to help you get your audience "lost in the story" of your movie. It details a lot of professional directing techniques and principles to help aid storytelling. The writing is clear and Francis Glebas even storyboarded a whole short story to serve as an example, in addition to the many examples already provided.

Using storyboards as a primary tool, he goes through the various storytelling techniques used in films , like ways to pace/cut scenes, introducing themes and story structure subtly, directing the audience's eyes, creating characters people can related to, etc. Francis Glebas then breaks down these high level concepts into many smaller easy-to-understand points to focus in depth.

One particular point to note is the version of "One Thousand and One Arabian Nights" Francis Glebas has storyboarded to provided as an example throughout the book. All the techniques he teaches are used in the storyboard for that story. It ends with cliffhangers in every chapter. The story is absorbing even though it's done in sketches. Goes to show that story is still king.

This book is for anyone who wants to direct professional stories. It should be made compulsory reading in film schools. Two enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

For more reading, I would recommend Ideas for the Animated Short, which goes even further in depth with storytelling techniques. Bad stories shouldn't have excuses.

There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.
on 1 November 2014
I'm in my final year of studying Animation and am planning to try and go into storyboarding once I'm done. I spent years perfecting my art, sketching every day, watching movies to figure out how they set up scenes and yet things never quite fell into place. My storyboards were good but never great.
Then I got this book and read it cover to cover. It's not a hardship either, you don't have to labour through it, it's interesting, engaging and at times even really funny. And it was as if a fog in my brain had lifted. He explains so clearly, brings home every single point so well!
Yesterday I presented my first storyboard after finishing the book. My tutors were amazed and told me I'd just earned myself a First. If that's not proof that this book is spectacular, I'm not sure what is :)
on 3 January 2013
I own this book for a couple of years and at the beginning it was my main source to learn about storyboarding and creating the perfect visual story.

Best part is that it's not filling you with unnecessary technical note, it tells the whole storyboarding process and fundamentals with the most fun way; with a story! I learned a lot about structuring your story step by step and create the most accurate way to tell it visually.

On the other hand, the Author Francis Glebas is an acknowledged industry guru and he is sharing his whole years of experience in Disney in a honest way.Now that's a priceless thing for me when i choose book.

Now, Directing the Story is one of my favorite book on my shelf when I'm stuck at writing and storyboarding.
on 17 March 2009
A fantastic book to help pull those animated stories together. Clever, articulate, easy to read and essential teaching if you want to produce animated drama. Also , the visual layout and information is attractive and of great use! I've read it a dozen times already.
on 26 April 2011
I'm a professional storyboarder and previz artist and I found this book really interesting. Although sometimes it's a little repetitive and gets a bit lost in basis (which is not a bad thing to remember from time to time), it's very enjoyable and it offers a really interesting and inspiring point of view from an experienced and talented professional, teaching techniques and tips that are really useful for our daily work and for anyone who's interested in storytelling (in all its forms) and directing. Besides, it's an original way of presenting a book about storyboard through a storyboard itself (it makes sense). I would recommend it.
on 22 April 2010
"Directing the Story" is an awesome book. I have recently got interested in film making and after acquiring the new Canon 7D, I have been buying books and reading up on film making. This book is the best I have read so far in terms of making one understand how to tell a story visually. Even though it is a little heavy on the storyboarding aspect of the process, it is littered with tons of useful anecdotes, examples and practical tips on how to tell a story visually and be good at it.

I would throughly recommend this book!
on 8 November 2015
It is one of the best resources I've encountered on story development and storyboarding. As much as I loved the book, I am not happy how vulnerable it is. Wish it had at least as thick cover as paperback Animator's Survival Kit.
on 23 August 2010
This is currently my favourite book on storyboarding/directing a visual story. Glebas doesn't refer to some films you might vaguely remember, but he provides an actual story which he uses to demonstrate the points he makes throughout the book.

Highly recommended to anybody interested in visual storytelling.
on 8 April 2015
I love cartooning and I'm trying animation, so this book has been invaluable in terms of helping cut to the chase of a story.
on 21 March 2015
Awesome book on story telling for films. Only things that could be better would be exercises to create your own story.